Topic: High action on Guitar

Can anyone please answer a question thats bugging me. I bought a Fender acoustic guitar about 18 months ago. Just a basic guitar for starting to play, I paid 150 Euro for it. Its developed a bit of high action. Does this effect your chord changes??? And if I bought a more expensive guitar say for around 1,500 Euro would high action be a thing of the past and would I get a better sound from a more expensive Guitar....... Thanks

Love nothing but that which comes to you woven in the pattern of your destiny..Marcsu Aurelius and the wild Elf....

Re: High action on Guitar

Id take that guitar to a music shop. It can probably be adjusted (or "set up" as they say). A set od strings and a good tweaking and it'll be better than new. While there, strum around on their other guitars. You'll be amazed how they all have their own "personality" (sound and feel). There are real nice guitars available here in the $400 - $600 (USD) range. 1,500 Euro (= $2,250 roughly?), that'll get you a high end acoustic.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Yes, a high action can make your guitar harder to play but can often be corrected. I don't know if your guitar has an adjustable truss rod but you might really benefit by taking it to a shop and having it properly set up and adjusted. A more expensive guitar can have the same problems but should be properly set up to start with and have higher standards of construction, wood materials, tuning hardware, etc..  all that should add up to (but not always) better sound and easier playability.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thanks everyone for helping out....

Love nothing but that which comes to you woven in the pattern of your destiny..Marcsu Aurelius and the wild Elf....

am i dumb when i ask what on earth high action means???!
im so new at this. : /

robhenb wrote:

am i dumb when i ask what on earth high action means???!
im so new at this. : /

Hey rob - "Action" is referred to as the distance between the frets and the strings. A high action is generally undesirable as it makes it much more difficult to play your guitar - you gotta push down on the strings really hard.

Here's a link that will 'splain in much more detail. Spend a bit of time cruising this site, it'll really help you understand guitar construction, set ups, etc.

About half way down the page on this link, you'll see him measuring the action at 8/64" at the 12 fret which he describes as "stout".

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musicia … ion01.html

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Astro,

Did you say your guitar developed a higher action. Does that mean that at one time it was lower? their are only a few things that will change your action. Either you adjusted the truss rod, you went to a heavier gauge string or maybe the neck is warping. If you mess with anything I would take the guitar back to the store and inform them that the action has changed and make them aware that you might be returning it for a replacement.

Eddie

perhaps some people might have some advice on how to maintain a guitar ( cos after all it is machine and you wouldnt run your car without doing the odd few things to it and expect it to run good forever )... for instance i was told not to use furniture polish on it anywhere at all ( i dont know why ) . i use linseed oil on the rosewood neck and keep the strings lubed and clean with " fast fret" . plus other things like dont leave it in sunlight or cold and damp places etc. anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated .....

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

ebigham1 wrote:

Astro,

Did you say your guitar developed a higher action. Does that mean that at one time it was lower? their are only a few things that will change your action. Either you adjusted the truss rod, you went to a heavier gauge string or maybe the neck is warping. If you mess with anything I would take the guitar back to the store and inform them that the action has changed and make them aware that you might be returning it for a replacement.

Eddie

Thats not a bad idea.Hopefully they can repair it for me thanks for the advice ebigham...

No problem Astro