Topic: "My Alligator Report"

So my daughter (1st grade) has an assignment to write a report about alligators.  Here's the assignment.  We wrote it together with me providing the music.  I helped her with the rhymes.  We couldn't come up with anything that rhymed with teeth so switched it around some.  Anyway, this silly little ditty is a folksy blues in G.  The last line of each stanza ends with a quick bass run down to G.  This is better than her one about her stuffed animals or her imaginary friend, which I thought were pretty good for a six year old.  I can't write worth a darn, but it seems my six year old is getting the knack. 

MY ALLIGATOR ASSIGNMENT
Alligators live in a river.
Alligators live in a swamp.
If you want to be a long liver,
don't be around when one goes chomp.

Alligators have got long, strong tails.
Alligator's tails go swish.
Alligators won't chase a whale,
but they will gladly eat a fish.

Alligators teeth are many,
and they have scales called scutes.
Alligators could bite you plenty,
but if you bite back you'll break a tooth.

I'm going to try and get to a buddy's studio and have her sing it into a mic to turn it in.  I'll accompany on guitar and sing backup.  I hope that counts for five complete sentences.   This being a Dad thing is pretty fun!!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: "My Alligator Report"

Hey Zurf - Nice song and I'm sure you and your daughter had fun with it. My first song writing was cheering up my son back when he had the chickenpox when he was in 2nd grade. Well done.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

This is fabulous, Zurf!  You are a very very cool dad . . . (at least until she gets to be a teenager and then you will be a source of embarrassment).

Hope to hear the recording - maybe you can send it to Roger Guppy and put it on the Friends of Chordie myspace music page?

I live in northeast Mississippi and we have a few gators in lakes and ponds.  They mind their own business and stay out of sight mostly.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Love it!  Look forward to hearing the von Zurf family singers!

I'm the son of rage and love

Lovely  Stuff  Zurf,

Its wonderful to see parents take the time with there Children to do these things.

These wee ripples we start as parents impacts there lives for evermore.

So always enjoy them, they go by so fast. Your making  an album of great  Viaual memories to share for later times. {Great}

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !