26 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-23 03:24:54)

Re: What songs are you currently working on?

tim songs are poems put to music it dates back to the old testement psalms and before that i imagin so post some of your poems your amoung friends if they stink i'll let you know LOL

Tim0473 wrote:

Cool deal guys ... it'll be nice to see what comes up when you're all done ... one thing I've been wanting to find out is this; I used to write poems, etc ... now when it comes to writing songs ... is there a format???  I know it sounds odd

"Growing old is not for sissies"

ziggystardust wrote:

I found a guy who sings elvis tunes -
Really good - looks nothing like him but - boy what an impersonator....
We're going to sing at a party in three week - so I'm learning Elvis tunes on my acoustic... as well as the usual practice for the band songs.

Try "Can't Help Falling in Love with You" on acoustic. It's one of my favs. I use a capo on the 1st fret as I am Elvis challenged. He has a great low voice mine's a bit higher.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

arkady wrote:

Well I use an old four track recorder as an interface plugging the guitar, mircophone and keyboard into it. Then I connect the four track directly into the computer audio in on the sound card.
I don't use the four track to record the tracks as Audacity records the input from the four track onto one track. Then I play the recorded track while recording another track. The most tracks I have recorded this way is three but I don't think theres a limit to the number of tracks you can record this way.
It's made the old 4track tape recorder redundant.

That's genius.  I've got an old Sony Mini-Disk recorder that is pretty much useless (go ahead and find minidisks these days).  Until now.

Now I have grand plans...

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

A few Jimmy Buffett tunes for campfire use:
"Changes in Lattitudes, Changes in Attitudes"  - As a departure from my usual I am actually learning this as a straight cover

"Distantly in Love" - laid back strum with a little finger picking.  It's actually a Steve Goodman song but it was made famous by Jimmy Buffett.

"A Pirate Looks at Forty" - I've some friends with whom I fish and camp who are more than half river pirate (reformed of course).  One has put forty astern while the has it looming o'er the bow.  Average it out, and it's all good. 

"City of New Orleans"- Speaking of Steve Goodman songs...I'm doing it fingerpick and trying to be dead steady keeping an alternating bass line on 1 & 3 to keep the feel of rail travel.  Playing a simultaneous bass line and fingerpicking a treble fill has been terribly challenging for me.  If I can master it, the world will be my oyster.  Or at least my mussell.  I'm not really a big fan of oysters.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Tim I love Offspring's sound--give it some crunch and bang out the power chords.  Gone Away is the one I'm playing too loud now.

25Frankster wrote:

Tim I love Offspring's sound--give it some crunch and bang out the power chords.  Gone Away is the one I'm playing too loud now.

I'm trying to find the right tone and havent been able to get it yet (since my line6 has presets) ... is that the setting your using?  Crunch?

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Russell_Harding wrote:

tim songs are poems put to music it dates back to the old testement psalms and before that i imagin so post some of your poems your amoung friends if they stink i'll let you know LOL

Tim0473 wrote:

Cool deal guys ... it'll be nice to see what comes up when you're all done ... one thing I've been wanting to find out is this; I used to write poems, etc ... now when it comes to writing songs ... is there a format???  I know it sounds odd

You got it Rus!  But I think I'll pass on the majority of them; since I was in love with the ex when I wrote them! wink

I don't have it exactly right either Tim, I play through a Hartke 60 watt hybrid, and channel one has a "crunch" knob, channel 2 has "gain".  I'm usine channel one, about 4 on the crunch, 6 on the bass, 3 on the trebble.  I play an epi les paul with alnico hot pick-ups, and I'm in the middle position with both pickups on.  It sounds good, but when I play along with the cd, it's still not right....maybe a marshall half stack would help!

Are you happy with your spider III?  When I've played through them I've really liked the crispness.  I like my amp, but on clean settings it sounds jangly to me....don't know if it's just the character of the amp, or that I just don't have it dialed in right.

I've got a few songs I'm trying to work on but having some difficulty in getting lyrics and chords.

1. Give My Regards To Broadway by George Cohan
2. The Bells Are Ringing For Me And My Gal
3. Show Me The Way To Go Home

I would be very grateful if there is someone who can help me out with these song.

Many thanks in advance.

My life is brilliant... Of this I'm sure.

JohnnieBG - I found Show Me The Way To Go Home here:

http://herso.freeservers.com/av-show-me.html

You can download a PDF of lyrics and chords

And here's chords / lyrics for Give my Regards, but they are for a Uke and I have no idea how to transcribe.

http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs/030621-1.html

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

36 (edited by klbrackin 2008-01-28 00:50:52)

The Lancaster County Folk Music and Fiddlers' Society has a jam session the second Sunday of the month and the theme for the next one is, that lovin’ feelin’ – lost and found.  So for that I'm working on My Girl - The Temptations, Glory Of Love and Key to the Highway - Big Bill Broonzy, Love is the Drug - Brian Ferry-Roxy Music, Slip Sliding Away and Duncan - Paul Simon.  For the future I've started learning Sam Stone - John Prine, Richmond - Faces, and All Downhill by Lyle Lovett.

Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges
to keep the crazies from following you.

25Frankster wrote:

I don't have it exactly right either Tim, I play through a Hartke 60 watt hybrid, and channel one has a "crunch" knob, channel 2 has "gain".  I'm usine channel one, about 4 on the crunch, 6 on the bass, 3 on the trebble.  I play an epi les paul with alnico hot pick-ups, and I'm in the middle position with both pickups on.  It sounds good, but when I play along with the cd, it's still not right....maybe a marshall half stack would help!

Are you happy with your spider III?  When I've played through them I've really liked the crispness.  I like my amp, but on clean settings it sounds jangly to me....don't know if it's just the character of the amp, or that I just don't have it dialed in right.

My Spider III is still very good ... I'm using one of the artist presets on it (70's marshall amp preset) the majority of the time ... I love the sound but I recently went to the house of guitars and they had Mesa Boogie amps (a 5:50 Express to be exact) ... I've never heard tubular amps yet and he recommened Mesa's ... hooked it up and was completely blown away by it ... it has that clear hard rock tone I've been searching for ... it's an incredible amp ... I played on it for about 15 mins and was sold on it ... naturally it blew my Line6 Spider away ... though it is pricey at $1099

Songs I'm working on

Thunderhorse - Dethklok
Trollhammaren - Finntroll
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
The Running Free - Coheed and Cambria
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen (the guitar solo is killer to play, just leaves me choking on strings when I try to play it)

Songs my husband (he's learning Bass) and I are working on:

Cocaine - Eric Clapton
Maybe - Collective Soul
Savin' Grace - Tom Petty
Don't Get me Wrong - The Pretenders
Brain Damage/Eclipse - Pink Floyd
Lost Together - Blue Rodeo
Back to Me - Kathleen Edwards
How Long - The Eagles

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

40 (edited by bud_wiser 2008-02-10 21:39:50)

I've been working on a load of really sugary pop style songs....for the females at the house parties I play at.....aye, ok, I like them all too. Fun to sing, DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!

Take That: Rule the World
Justin Timberlake: What goes around
One Republic: Stop & Stare (just posted on Youtube: Check out budwiser1877 tongue )

I shall now cower in shame at the cheese-fest above!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

41 (edited by Ranger1964 2008-02-10 23:42:32)

Framed by Chris Knight
It Never Rains in California (very easy,very cheesy, but a song I sang a million times as a youth)
Found out About You By The Gin BLossoms

Yee Haw

Currently working on lots of songs, I have a sort of wish list of songs i'm learning at the same time so as not to get too frustrated with any one song when I can't nail something:

Jessica - Allman Brothers Band
Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynrd ( Been working on it for like 6 months though, too much to remember)
Sweet Dreams - Marilyn Manson
She's got the Jack - AC/DC
Between Angels and Insects - Papa Roach
My Hero - Foo Fighters
Knights of Cydonia - Muse
Dakota - Stereophonics
My Michelle - Guns n Roses
Almost Easy - Avenged Sevenfold

Keeps my brain engaged to learn lots at once, god knows how because it should really by most peoples ways of learning I should be taking on too much at once but I can't put the guitar down at the moment. Helps that they are all songs I know and love I suppose

Right now working on song from Bob Marley...Redemption song....but have problems...hope that soon I will make it.

Tom T Hall's song "Year Clayton Delaney Died", it's a fun one to do, also 'Deep Elim Blues" by Jerry Garcia. This is a good thread to get new tunes to try.

Have a good day... Badeye.

one caper after another

I'm looking for chords to "Don't Walk Away....Run"

Goes like this:

What's up girlfriend, what's going on, You sound so scared, So all alone.....
Chorus:
Packs some bags and head for the door, You ain't gotta take it no more, Leave him tonight, Before the morning sun, Don't walk away....run

Anybody out there know who originally sang this song and where I can find the chords to it?

Thanks,
Joy

On acoustic:
Layla [Unplugged]- Eric Clapton

On Classical:
My Grade 4 pieces (I can't remember what they're called which shows how much I've been practicing)

Electric:
Bulls On Parade- Rage Against The Machine
Half The World Away- Oasis
Supersonic- Oasis
Aqcuiesce- Oasis

Very busy, as you can see smile

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??