Topic: "My Cowbelle"

I teach at Mississippi State University (the Bulldogs) where there is a tradition of ringing cowbells at athletic events.  People make and sell elaborate customized cow bells with handles welded to the bell.  If you have a stadium full of cow bell ringers it makes an incredibly loud racket.

Like most universities, human pair bonding is an important aspect of life at Mississippi State.  In the center of campus is the Chapel of Memories.  Many weddings are held there.  It is a very busy place since some women come to college to get an "MRS. Degree" along with their diploma.

This song attempts to relate the "cow bell" tradition to the lovely young ladies (cowbelles?) who are very busy earning their Mrs. Degree.  It is a bouncy sort of country tune.

My CowbelleJames McCormick, January 23, 2008

credit to John Lox for the 'Cow Belle' idea . . .

[C]Here at Mississippi State the [F]women are so fine

They got [C]shiny hair, happy smiles, [G]dressed up to the [G7]nines

They got [C]smarts, charm, wits and wiles, good [F]posture and poise

And if you [C]grab 'em by the handles they [G]make a lot of [C]noise

She's my [F]cowbelle, my cowbelle, [C]shake that ding-a-ling

[F]Sashay it on over here you [G]precious little thing . . . [G7] . . .

Oh, my [C]cowbelle, my cowbelle her [F]daddy's pride and joy

[G]Grab her by the handles she [F]makes a lot of [C]noise

She [G]came to Mississippi State on a [F]pageant scholar-[C]ship

And [G]by the time she graduates she's gonna [F]have that MR[G]S . . .

She [C]got her reservations at the [F]Chapel of Memories

Some-[C]body's gotta walk down that aisle, I [G]guess it's gonna be [C]me . . . [G]

[G7]Well, [C]I was just a lonely guy a [F]very studious nerd

That [C]she would even notice me is [G]totally ab-[G7]surd

But I [C]guess she likes the way I walk or the [F]way I use my brain

Cos' when I [C]grab her by the handles it's [G]totally in-[C]sane

. . . .

[G7]I [C]met her in a Stats class, she [F]always got there late

But I [C]liked the way her lips did pout when [G]she did calcu-[G7]late

We [C]fell in love while studying gettin' [F]ready for a test

She let me [C]grab her handles and [G]you know all the [C]rest

[G]After graduation we [F]plan to settle [C]down

[G]Raise a happy family in a [F]happy little [G]town . . .

Make [C]lots of little Bulldogs we'll [F]raise 'em all up right

And I'll [C]grab her by the handles [G]every single [C]night . . . [G]

[G7]Oh, [C]Here at Mississippi State the [F]women are so fine

They got [C]shiny hair, happy smiles, [G]dressed up to the [G7]nines

They got [C]smarts, charm, wits and wiles, good [F]posture and poise

And if you [C]grab 'em by the handles they [G]make a lot of [C]noise

She's my [F]cowbelle, my cowbelle, [C]shake that ding-a-ling

[F]Sashay it on over here you [G]precious little thing . . . [G7] . . .

Oh, my [C]cowbelle, my cowbelle her [F]daddy's pride and joy

[G]Grab her by the handles she [F]makes a lot of [C]noise

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: "My Cowbelle"

wow great song as usual james!! keep it up love the music by the way

love rhiannon xoxo

Follow your heart
It usually makes the right decisions <3

Fantastic!  Love the lyrics - so upbeat and saucy!

Cheers

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

Thanks rhiannon & bonedaddy!
I had a lot of fun writing this one.  A former colleague suggested the basic 'cow belle' idea.  It rolled around in my imagination for a while before anything really clicked.  I'm planning on recording this one soon.  James

James ,
You should "march" this song right over to the music department and submit it to the department head. This is really fantastic. Who knows maybe next  football season "My Cowbelle" will be one the songs the marching band plays at half-time. If I lived down there and played at some of bars on or around campus, I'd play the heck out of this song, with your permission of course.

Give everything but up.

That's great James, can't wait to hear it! Brought a smile to my face just reading it.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Great James,

You never cease to amaze me with the quality, and variety, of your songs. I look forward to hearing your recording of it.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

james i was wrong i thought it was going to be a song about some gal who lived on a dairy farm so ,,,,,,you live an learn good lyrics "grab her by the handles" lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi James,

I guarantee this is gonna take off as the Univerisitys new Anthem.  "You sexy double meaning nerd!"

Its a good one.    Now i have 2 huge cowbells.  A Gift  from Holland many years ago. These are used to

announce arrival at ones door by ringing same. I guess this is not what you mean James? lol

Well done

Old Doll

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

You Gotta "Love" those handles James.
Well done again

Ark

hi james you can certainly turn em out i really enjoyed reading this post well done...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

I just gave this a strum, sounded great but there was something missing..

MORE COWBELL!! lol lol

http://www.stage6.com/Now-Showing/video … -Cowbell!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Greetings to all - Thanks for your enthusiastic responses to this posting!

I have just added a 'raw & flawed' rendition of this ditty to my MySpace Music page:
http://www.myspace.com/r200james

Please give it a listen . . . James
*topdown - from now on, I'll get a very different sort of giggle when hearing that phrase!

Thanks James,

Message received.. Love the recording. Its such a good song..

You know you may only be known now as "Cowbelle James!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi James,
Pardon my my less than university educated ignorance..
Could you please explain "the handles"
Regards & cheers
Kiwi John

Hi Kiwi John - ahhh, 'the handles' . . . Here's a little history lesson . . . (exactly what you wanted, right?)

The university where I teach (Mississippi State University) at is a Land Grant Institution.  An act of the U.S. Congress in the 1870's decreed that each state would establish a college with an emphasis on agricultural research, veterinary medicine, and engineering. 

The goal of the law was to help ensure that the growing nation (just recovering from the horrors of a protracted civil war) would have a steady supply of engineers and agricultural experts.  Many of these public colleges started out being called 'Agricultural and Mechanical' schools.

These schools attracted bright and capable students from all social classes were often sneered at by already established institutions which often had been the exclusive domain of upper-class, old-money aristocrats.

Here in Mississippi, the old established college is 'Ole Miss' or the University of Mississippi.  Ole Miss has always sneered at the upstart Mississippi Agricultural and Mechanical College (now Miss. State Univ.) as being a 'cow college' where country bumpkins finally learned how to tie their shoes and shovel cow manure.

Rather than try to fight the perceived country bumpkin image, Mississippi State University embraced it's humble origins and very practical goals.  Hence, the cow bell became a symbol of pride.  Cow bells are a fixture are MSU athletic events - fans ring them in support of the Bulldogs (our school's mascot).

'The Handles' part comes from how people weld a length of pipe onto a regular old cow bell so that it is easier to raise it up and give it a good shaking.  The photo with the song at the MySpace Music  http://www.myspace.com/r200james page shows a typical MSU cowbell all decorated and ready for action.  A stadium full of cow bells is extremely loud - so loud that at certain games these bells are officially forbidden (but people do it anyway).

My song simply attempts to relate the cow bells with the lovely young ladies (cow belles) who come to the university to get their education.

Although I have never seen a female MSU student with handles welded upon their physique, I have noticed that many of them might be very nice to hold - that is, if I were much much younger, and not married, and not a teacher, and didn't have daughter their age . . . .

So, John - I have never been to New Zealand but I am hoping for your sake that many of the females there are also 'nice to hold'.  Try this - find a woman who seems willing and with a little effort I'm hoping you can find some handles . . .

Let me know how it goes!