Topic: Help please...

Hi folks, i peruse these forums frequently but never post so here goes.  I have read pretty much every thread about beginner songwriting but can't seem to get it down.  My problem is that I can write the music part of it perfectly fine but can't seem to get the lyrics or vocal melody down.  I know it's probably because I overthink and overanalyze everything but I'd like to get atleast one simple song down to get the process rolling.  I have a basic progression that I have been working with that I'd like to get some lyrics and melody for.

Verse

Aadd9, E

Chorus
E, Aadd9, C#m, Aadd9

any help/suggestions on where to start, process, etc...,  would be much appreciated.

Chad

Re: Help please...

Hi PPonU4Me

Welcome to Chordie and the songwriting section. As Jase has pointed out it the only way to do it is to try and keep trying. However you do have a start although if I am honest I think that a verse with just two chords repeated may be a bit repetative but that is a personal opinion and with the right melody it could work.

For the lyrics just write a simple poem, it need not be long to start, you can add to it later. You also need not bother about it rhyming, the metre is more important, and then play your chords to it. With a little luck and a bit of perseverence you will find a melody comes to mind.

You could aways pinch someone else's lyrics to start with but for heaven's sake get their approval BEFORE you post it. You can use any of mine if you wish but don't forget my royalties when you make a fortune with them lol.

I hope that helps.

Good luck,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi PPonU4Me & let me add my welcome to the forum.

Jase and Roger both have good suggestions.  You have a delicious dilemma . . . there is obviously some germ of a song in your head, it's just a matter of helping it happen.

Roger is very correct regarding the metre of the song - the rhythmic feel is a great place to focus.  Nonsense syllables might be a way to loosen up your imagination.  Just 'doo-bee-doo' and 'gabba-gabba-hay' along with your chords and see if you can find a pattern that suits your liking.

Melodic lines are fun to play with, but I would suggest getting a topic for your song first.  Songs are best when they are about simple things - big ideas are hard to fit into a song.  Don't feel like you have to change the world with your lyrics.

As you play your chords, what images are conjured up in your imagination.  Freeze-frame an image and then ponder it a bit.  What words or phrases can describe that image?  See if you can get off on a flight of fancy about that image/idea.

I was recently playing around with a 1, 3b, 4, 1 chord set and it conjured up a sort of lurking/menacing feeling.  So, I used that idea and wrote a little ditty entitled "Food Chain".

For me, it is helpful to jot down words or phrases otherwise the ideas evaporate.  I also find that simple physical activities like walking, riding a bike, raking leaves, or doing chores lets my imagination roam freely.

Seemingly very simple ideas can be nurtured into a song. For me, it is easier to nurture and expand on a little idea than it is to compress or compact a big idea into a song.

OK - enough pie-in-the-sky junk . . . Here is a very practical suggestion:
Carry a piece of paper and pencil with you every day.  Keep your ears and eyes open and alert for stuff that is neat/stupid/silly/gross/funny/sad/typical/odd/exciting/boring.  Listen to the voices around you - bits of conversation or words or sounds.

Whip out that piece of paper and jot down something about what you have noticed.  Do this a lot.  You will soon have a whole bunch of ideas any one of which might resonate enough in your imagination to become a song.

Here is another idea that might jump start your creative juices:
Pick an object - any object big or small.  Stare at it and think of all the words that can describe that thing - how it looks, how it smells, how it sounds or feels or where it is.  Jot down all these descriptors.  See what these words or ideas remind you of - think of other words that rhyme or sound like those words.  Think of words that are opposite those words.  Think of words that start with the same letters - - - the whole idea is just to exercise your mind and let your imagination wander.

Sorry to go on for so long - I guess my mind and imagination were just wandering!
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Just one more thought . . .

PPonU4Me, I also find it useful to have more than one song idea 'in process'.  Sometimes an idea will just need a little time and a fresh perspective - so having other ideas to work on keeps me going.

So, if the idea you're working on is stuck don't despair.  Get some other ideas started and come back to this one eventually.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I appreciate all the help, I will give the suggestions a shot.  Writing has never been easy for me so it'll probably take me a while to get into it but when I get one down I will make sure and post it.

p..........try writting some words to a song,poem and read them aloud all words have a rhythem in them because as was pointed out earlier syllables and each one can be long or short even the word syllables is broken down into three parts syll..la..bles or dah dah dah in 4/4 time it would be expressed as 1 2 3 rest so conjure up several words try to rhyem them and then add meter to each group of words if you keep at it sooner or later you will have the foundation of a song and then you just (as was suggested) write as often as you can or carry some portable recording device with you when the mood hits you record what your thinking and listen and edit the ideas that might bear fruit, good luck

"Growing old is not for sissies"

PPonU4Me
All of the above advice is excellent.
Here's my bit.
I think the key (not a pun) to most sucessful songwriting is to keep things simple at first. Using your basic chords.
The chord  progression? which you have in mind is not the simplest so they really don't help in fitting a melody around them.
Maybe you have some melody in mind for these so the advice for getting some lyrics down is good.
I suppose all I'm trying to get across is don't try to run before you can walk and keep it simple at first.
Good luck
Ark