Topic: Why does everyone like the Strats so much?

Or maybe why do I not like them? I've played a Mexican Strat and a Squier-did nothing for me and I thought the Squier was total crap. Maybe I need to try an MIA Strat?

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Re: Why does everyone like the Strats so much?

I've had mine(USA Strat,1976) since 1986. My hands have never touched a finer electric guitar nor have my ears heard a finer sounding instrument. It's all personal preference. Can't really add more than that.

Give everything but up.

Because they are so comfortable to play and the different sounds you can get. The strat was perfected by a western swing guitar player that use to work for Fender. I don't remember his name but he just died in April of last year whe I get home I will look it up and repost it later.  The story goes he was in a western swing band and played a telecaster and did not like the slab body poking & brusing his ribs. So he told Mr. Leo Fender to cut contours on the body so it fits his body and it would be comfortable.

Bootlegger.

I too, have to add that I do love my Mexican Strat!  Having played other guitars in the past, I've found that the Strat is the most versatile and has more sound options.  In addition, it's much lighter than its main competitor: the Les Paul. 

For me, I also like its thinner neck, at which is comfortable for my smaller hand.  Just my opinion, of course.

sure - it much lighter than a typical gibson - and has a nice shape

its easy to tune even with a tremelo and

you can get a good guitar at a price most people can afford

whats not to like.

I keep hearing they're more than the sum of their parts-maybe I need to try an MIA.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

SG,

If you're a casual player, a Mexican made one would do just fine.  Of course, if you have the money, an American one would be a good investment.  For me, the not-ready-for-prime-time player, I will have to stick with the cheaper one for now.   It sounds good and plays well for me!

SGinCYQX wrote:

I keep hearing they're more than the sum of their parts-maybe I need to try an MIA.

I own a MIM strat. I changed the nut and and have never had a problem with it. Very solid, smooth tone. Great neck, and very comfortable to play live.

Strat has come to mean more than Fender Stratocaster, it's a whole shape and type of guitar whatever the maker. So for instance I have what's called a double fat strat (two humbuckers, not 3 single coils).

Stratocaster's came out in '57 and had two main improvements over the Tele and the LP. 1) It was solid bodied but light and 2) the upper cutaway horn balances against neck weight perfectly. Add to this it had a tremelo system that worked without the on-top machinery of a Bigsby and you've got a classic guitar.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

They are a very versatile guitar and as such they have been used for many many years by many of the most famous guitarists of our time Because of this many of the guitar pieces particularly in rock and a fair number in Blues have been recorded with Fender Strars or Teles. these guitars have a unique sound to them, everyone recognizes the twang or solid body screaming run of a fender guitar.
I do not play one but they ARE the guitar sound you love in 75 to 80 percent of the great rock solos you recognize .And the only way to get a real true strat sound and certainly the easiest is to play one.

The other 20 25 % are Gibsons Les Pauls  SGs  etc etc same story different sound.

Both great guitars and the mainstay of Rock and Blues

Well...an strat is like the standard for the most guitarists, many "big fellows" play it and its also an great guitar for newbies.
For the bigger guitarists that can play on all guitars without problems is it:  "its all about customizing baby" but its an very good guitar that many ppl should have played.

I have a 97 big apple strat.  It is comfy to hold, has brilliant action, a good range of tones and a great neck.  It is my favourite. I also have an American ash Tele and a Gibson Les Paul Standard amongst others so I do have a choice.

13 (edited by danzigi 2008-04-19 05:33:20)

Just bought a new Fender American Deluxe Strat recently.
Can't stop playing it.
It's definately a personal preferance as to what kind of tone you want out of your guitar.
What do you want to sound like? What kind of music do you want to play?

Had a 70's Tele for a while. Too tinny for my taste, but still a nice guitar. Great action. Good all around guitar for rock , country , blues , it just did'nt suit my ear.

Gibsons are great for rock and blues with the fat humbucker sound. Lot of jazz cats play their hollowbodies.

The players I find myself listening to the most play Strats, or custom copies. The solos I seem to like best were played on Strats.

The Strat has the tones for the kind of music I'll be playing. Little rock , blues , country.
With the  bridge p/u only there's a bite to it. Bit like a Tele.
The switching system gives you a whole pallette of sounds to draw from the three noiseless single coils.

It can sound sweet, fat , grungy and everything in between.

The actions fast. The bridge has a bit of a give to it so bends are easier than the Gibsons I've played, but it still stays in tune.

Someone put a lot of work into the Tobacco Burst finish too. Its gorgeous.

And it can be had for about half of what a new Gibson will cost you. Price is a big factor , especially for beginning or intermediate players. You can get a professional quality guitar that will last a lifetime for a lot less.  Gibson makes a lot off it's name.

Still I'd like to have a 57 goldtop to go with my Strat.

FWIW, I played an American Standard a few months ago-I'm hooked. Been combing ads since for a used one.

-Jimi Hendrix.

I have played the Strat copies and not been enamoured with any of them and then a few years ago I bought a 1997 Fender Big Apple Strat with Seymour Duncans on it and I was hooked. It is very comfortable as has been said already and the action is supreme.  I also have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a 1952 inspired American Ash Telecaster so I'm not just comparing Strats. It is the best all-rounder.

ive got a standard hss mim strat and its one of the most versatile guitars ive ever played. it can sound a little thin if you dont know how to tweak your eq but all in all im pretty happy with it.

yesterday is the past
tomorrow a dream
today you find out
what is best left unseen

The MIM did not feel right to me and the sound was a bit muddy...just my ears though as lots like them.

-Jimi Hendrix.

I bought a MIM Fender Strat at a guitar show really cheap! Didn't play it but loved the fit, finish, and feel of it. Turned out that for some reason it just didn't sound good with the stock pickups. I was looking for a project guitar so immediately changed out all the electronics and absolutely love playing it. Currently it has the Carvin AP-11 pickups neck and middle and a Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbucker in the bridge...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.