Topic: Putting Together a PA System....Thoughts??

Greetings,

The guys I've been jamming with are thinking about getting a PA system together, so our "noise" can be leveled and controlled when we play. 

We're looking for a medium-size system.  I was told a 250w x 2 (500w bridged) powered mixer would work.  We're also thinking of mid-size speakers (on stands.) 

I would appreciate any thoughts on a good configuration that we can grow into.

Thanks

Re: Putting Together a PA System....Thoughts??

Bose L1. Small package, huge, crystal clear sound, easy set-up/breakdown. I have one and can honestly say it's the best sounding PA I've ever played through.

Give everything but up.

Is it a big system?  Wattage?  Would 500w bridged work for me?

Thanks!

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Bose L1. Small package, huge, crystal clear sound, easy set-up/breakdown. I have one and can honestly say it's the best sounding PA I've ever played through.

Don't let the price scare you away, it's worth every penny. Also, this is the second, upgraded version of the one I own. The modelling unit, ($500) by itself is the reason for the price increase from the original model.($2,000)
I believe it's 1,400 watts. That's pretty insignificant though once you hear one of these things. I like an eargasm at first contact. They project sound amazingly over a 180 degree span with the volume the same 10 feet away as it is 100 feet away. Bose is sick!!!! Here's a link for some further research for you;

http://www.music123.com/Bose-L1--169--M … erralID=NA

Give everything but up.

I've had really good luck with a Carvin   (  www.carvin.com )  PA system. They sell complete kits with quality microphones, cables, and everything. Mine is a 6 channel 200 watt and we've had it for about ten years now.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thanks Jay.  I had just bought a used Behringer powered mixer from Craigslist.  It has 250w per channel and works great.  I'm now looking for a set of speakers that we can use for future small gigs.  Thanks to you and Southpaw for providing input.

Kahuna

jaygordon75 wrote:

I've had really good luck with a Carvin   (  www.carvin.com )  PA system. They sell complete kits with quality microphones, cables, and everything. Mine is a 6 channel 200 watt and we've had it for about ten years now.

I have a Peavey powered mixer and run 2 Yamaha 15'' mains and 2 Peavey stage monitors and they really shine for acoustic music. A friend I Play with has 12'' EV speakers and they are great.If I was starting over I would definately go along with Southpaw and the BOSE system. We use one at the local open mic night and it is awesome.

Later Wayne

Later, Wayne P