Topic: FIDDLES ...FIDDLES

Let's hear more about those fiddles......I know you're out there......It's very few songs that don't benefit from a violin playin soft and low in the background.
In some original work it can be the difference between a good song and one that will pull the tears out of your eyes......( if that's the effect you're after of course )
I'm very interested in how other peaple are using them and what , if any ,  electronics they're using .

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Re: FIDDLES ...FIDDLES

I fiddle a little bit on the worship team at my church. I have an electric violin and they can usually plug me in direct, but sometimes I have to use my Kustom amp. Other than that I don't use any electronics.

I'm a musician; I can [color=blue]Handel[/color] it!

Hi Tex ,
   You say you play an electric ...is it a solid body or accoustic with a pickup ? I play accoustic violin and viola
with a pickup that I can switch between the two . Always wanted to try a solid body electric but don't know anybody that has one and don't want to put out the bucks . Might just have to build one .
   Is the Marshal a valve amp or solid state ? I've heard they sound real pretty coming out of tubes .
         Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Me again ,
   Forgot to mention , if you're a guitar player also , you probably have a chorus pedal lying around . Try using that with your fiddle , you might not want to go back to playing clean , at least for some tunes!!!
           Jerry

I don't have a chorus pedal, but my amp has some chorus effects on it. I do use it every once in a while, but not usually when I'm performing.  My violin is a solid body. It's a Stagg. It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done for the price.

i picked up my fiddel for the first time in two and a half years yesterday. im suprised i can still play. i stoped when i started learnin guitar because i thought it was to much to learn all at the same time since i was already playing saxophone also. you should never think that.

Bobaflex kicks some!!!!!

I know the feeling wade mc, I was once taking piano, violin, cello, and guitar all at the same time!

music is awsome. i love learning to play it.

Bobaflex kicks some!!!!!

Hey Wade ,
   Now that you picked it up again , stay with it .
   I'm playing mine alot more now . My new jam partner has my taste in music so on a lot of songs , I fiddle and he handles the guitar part .
Makes a nice change from playing guitar all the time .
I love the sound of a guitar and a fiddle playing together .
   If you get a chance , play yours with another guitar player , you'll love it............

Hi!  Newbie here, but couldn't resist violin talk....

I started playing violin in school, a *couple* of decades ago, and recently started back up again.... I got a cheapie Sojing off craigslist just to muck about with, and for my birthday finally got a gorgeous Fender FV-1.  Its solid body electric, but has some of the richest tones on the low end.  I also have a Fender Acoustimatic Jr that I put it through and WOW....

_deb_

Hi Deb ,
   Welcome to Chordie , you're gonna love this site .
   There's a few of us old guitar and fiddle players here that always want to talk fiddles .
   I've never played one , but I've heard that the Fender
FV 1 is a sweet instrument .
I bet it's nice to have controls right on the fiddle . I
play accoustics with a separate stand alone preamp .
   Do you also play guitar ?

Jerry

Hi Jerry!  Thanks for the welcome...

Yes, I just started guitar about a year and a half ago.  I began with an Epi Les Paul Goth, but didn't like the non-portability so I found a really nice n' fun Johnson 000 gauge acoustic on craigslist for $70.  I just got D'addio (sp) silk n steel strings on it about a week ago and haven't stopped playing it, except when stupid Real Life steps in and I have to go to work or something dumb like that (LOL!)

Back to fiddles!  I am not much of a country player; I do more rock violin stuff=== I've found that jamming to music can be So Much FUN!!  For instance, Godsmack's "Voodoo" is a song begging for a violin solo (and riff)... jam jam jam!

Thanks again for the welcome!

Deb

I used to play the violin before I bought a guitar, and I gotta say, I just loved the sound of a violin played to a rock n' roll song.
cool
danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Ola Danspr, ain't that the truth!  There's a band called Yellowcard that has a great violinist (not sure of names and all, but what I've heard is great fun).   Also a synth/industrial band, Cruxshadows, has a live violinist (she plays a Yamaha..... boy, when I hit the lotto I'm getting one!)

_debs_

I was wondering if you guys would know how i can find something for the fiddle like chords and other helpful things , my wife is wanting to learn some of the garth brooks songs .  i hope you guys can help me out i just joined chordie and im impressed with all of it so far.   thank you, CHROME

Hey CHROME !! Welcome to Chordie ... There's a lot of help on here !! For fiddle chords , just do a google search for     " fiddle chords " .. You'll be amazed all the stuff that comes up ........
                                   Jerry

I'm playing violin...Yes I'm a beginner, and wow man its harder then I thought. But what I found hard was twisting my wrist around to get to the notes, oh and the virbrato. And seeing proffessionals play the violin hastily, really inspires you to play more. ^_^

That's BLB for you....

G S E wrote:

......pull the tears out of your eyes......

Any instrument played badly can have that effect!

Seriously though, adding an istrument to play melody can really enhance the basic 'singer plus acoustic guitar' sound - if you can find someone to play with.

Re fiddles and amps, I saw a guy on TV holding/playing his fiddle like a guitar, using a heavily distorted valve amp - sounded great - effectively heavy metal fiddle. Think he was playing with Nick Cave. There must be great potential for playing fiddle with effects. It has one feature many guitarists love - unlimited sustain (when played with a bow).

Hi all,

Just got my fiddle for Christmas and have been having fun learning to play. I've played guitar for 40 years, and have been afraid of not having frets. While it's a challenge, I'm getting a feel for it.  I did get a DVD to help me learn, but I was wondering if anyone might have some pointers on some additional aids for making playing a little easier or quicker other than practice, practice, practice.

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben

I asked my wife your question.
She said go to a tutor for a few months. He/she will teach you the scales etc.
She paid about £13 oper half hour when she started but found a fiddle workshop orchestra thing that was weekly for £2 per week. People there helped her.
She says to turn up at one of these fiddle orchestras and tell them you are a complete beginner and someone should help or point you in the right direction if you do not want to pay so much for tutoring.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Ben ...
    When I first started with fiddle , I found the best way to practice was with a guitar player ... I found it was a lot easier to get the fingering right when you're playing along with another instrument ... Even songs you like on CD work great ..
Otherwise ( unless you hear in perfect pitch ) when you're practicing solo , it's all too easy to be playing slightly flat and not even be aware of it ... Besides , it's really fun playing fiddle along with a guitar .......
                 Jerry

Jerry,
very true that is!!

When my wife was learning she came home playing scales etc and trying to screech her way through some trad. scottish fiddle tunes.
When I picked my guitar up she could jam along very easily. I much rather listen to her jam wit hthe guitars than to do the stuff she was getting taught to do.
She had to read the music for the stuff she was getting taught but could jam by ear for any tune I done. I think this is due to her learning the scales first though.
So if you learn the scales you should find it far easier to jam to anything.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I think you're right about playing with another instrument or a CD. It seems to be a lot easier to keep the nots on key that way. Now if I could just get that squeak out of there....

Ben

24 (edited by butlersdog 2011-06-04 00:33:58)

This has to be an interesting instrument to play with in the future. I just hoped that things would be well, and that you would be able to really enjoy playing it, and have some good fiddle lessons in between to compensate your needs. I just hope that many people are still interested to play this kind of instrument.