Re: Guilty Pleasures

"Close to You", weedjie?

I'm ashamed to admit it, but that song ALWAYS makes me cry.

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

ShadyWilbury wrote:

"Close to You", weedjie?

I'm ashamed to admit it, but that song ALWAYS makes me cry.

That song started as background music for a TV bank advertisement.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Close to you was originally gonna be a Neil Diamond recording but got given to these two geeky kids who were hanging around the recording studio at the time!

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

I've recently become obsessed with Rihanna's Umbrella. Once youve played this song once you can't stop.

Mine doesn't sound anything like this http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5paQ9BwFAgI&NR=1

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

30 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-07 17:14:41)

I already let the cat out of the bag on another thread, but...

The Carpenters.

can't get enough of "close to you" [ETA] - and "don't you remember you told me you love me, baby"

And, unfortunately, The Heebie Geebies (Bee-Gees)

How can you not move your booty when you hear the lead-in to "Staying Alive"?

"Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man, no time to talk..."

Oldnewbie passes out from the falsetto singing and falls off of the desk on which he was dancing, ripping his white suit pants

Just play

Oldnewbie wrote:

The Carpenters.

[/i]

The Carpenters? I mean how how can a list include Zepp, Kiss, Aerosmith and then.... The Carpenters!?

We have to convene a meeting of the Man Council and seek immediate revocation of your Man Card. I mean .... the Carpenters? Don't know if I would have admitted that in public big_smile

Just Kidding - [whispers]pssst don't tell anybody but I used to kinda like Hall & Oates [/i whispers]

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

32 (edited by 25Frankster 2008-02-07 20:50:58)

If anyone says they play Air Supply when they're alone and feeling lonely I'm going to perscribe watching Fight Club 3 times straight, take a shot of whisky and call me in the morning!

By the way, does anyone have the chords for "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies?  Love that song!

topdown wrote:

The Carpenters? I mean how how can a list include Zepp, Kiss, Aerosmith and then.... The Carpenters!?

We have to convene a meeting of the Man Council and seek immediate revocation of your Man Card. I mean .... the Carpenters? Don't know if I would have admitted that in public big_smile

Just Kidding - pssst don't tell anybody but I used to kinda like Hall & Oates

What can I say, Topdown, I'm like a tootsie pop...

beneath the hard and crunchy shell is soft and sweet inside! smile

I did put the Carpenters last...

you can never be too rich... or too thin - Karen Carpenter

Just play

34 (edited by geoaguiar 2008-02-09 03:26:19)

topdown wrote:
Oldnewbie wrote:

The Carpenters.

[/i]

Just Kidding - [whispers]pssst don't tell anybody but I used to kinda like Hall & Oates [/i whispers]

I'm not with you on the Carpenters (though part of it is my wife's a big fan and from November to January I have to sit through countless hours of their Xmas album) BUT Hall and Oates? I must ask older or newer. I think Sarah Smile is a fantastic song and I feel no guilt saying so. However, "Your Kiss is on My List" will bring on pretty severe nausea

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

ok,but don't tell anyone,it is monty pythons,lumberjack song.shhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!.

here's to us and those like us,damn few of us left.

geoaguiar wrote:

[
I'm not with you on the Carpenters (though part of it is my wife's a big fan and from November to January I have to sit through countless hours of their Xmas album) BUT Hall and Oates? I must ask older or newer. I think Sarah Smile is a fantastic song and I feel no guilt saying so. However, "Your Kiss is on My List" will bring on pretty severe nausea

How did you hear that, I whispered smile.
My only comment is that there is no "newer" Hall and Oats - You must be as old as I am big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well I have a few guilty pleasures in the form of individual songs rather than certain bands/artists.

For example, I love playing the A-Team theme tune and other songs such as (the list will follow):-

Tainted Love - Marilyn Manson/Soft Cell
Sweet Dreams - Again Marilyn Manson/Annie Lennox
Duke Nukem: Time to Kill Theme Tune - Megadeath surprisingly enough
Mission Impossible Theme Tune - various
Knights of Cydonia - Muse
Dude looks like a lady - Aerosmith
and...
Bon Jovi - Living on a Prayer....i know, shoot me now

ok,
have you got any ammo? I just ran out after hearing someone playing girls aloud

lol

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

It's not so much the song, but how I was reminded of the song.  The song is Earth, Wind, and Fire's Shining Star.  Many of us 'of a certain age' remember grooving to that song on AM radio wondering what the bass line was like.  Then FM came along and WHAT A COOL BASS LINE. 

Anyway, the song isn't so much a guilty pleasure as how I was reminded of it and started grooving.  The song appears on my daughter's Hannah Montana CD that we were jamming this morning while cleaning the house.  Mom is out of the house, and when she's out we jamm!  So, yeah, big old salt & pepper bearded bald fat desk jockey dude was dancing and grooving to a Hannah Montana recording.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

40 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-09 16:09:53)

Zurf!

We must be kin.

My aging rotund behind has been known to cut a mean rug listening to my daughter's "Aaron Carter" and "New Kids In The Sink" CDs. (curtains drawn, doors locked, of course).

Crap,  how comfortable have I become in such a short time to share this? I guess the anonymity of text is liberating!

Just play

New Kids in the Sink - another fan of VeggieTales I see.  VeggieTales are great.  My favorite of them is Lyle the Kindly Viking.  That whole sendup of Rogers and Hammerstein is hilarious.  My wife and I have watched it when the kids were in bed.  If you get the chance and have it on DVD, you should watch Jonah with the running commentary.  Larry and Mr. Lunt provide the commentary.  The porcupines were out of work Swedes Mr. Lunt 'discovered.'  Hilarious. 

- Zurf

topdown wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

[

How did you hear that, I whispered smile.
My only comment is that there is no "newer" Hall and Oats - You must be as old as I am big_smile

Correct you are...I'm older than dirt

Elvis Costello

Zurf wrote:

New Kids in the Sink - another fan of VeggieTales I see.  VeggieTales are great.  My favorite of them is Lyle the Kindly Viking.  That whole sendup of Rogers and Hammerstein is hilarious.  My wife and I have watched it when the kids were in bed.  If you get the chance and have it on DVD, you should watch Jonah with the running commentary.  Larry and Mr. Lunt provide the commentary.  The porcupines were out of work Swedes Mr. Lunt 'discovered.'  Hilarious. 

- Zurf

um...

is that the one with the cucumber? I think he's named after me (Larry?).

My daughter had one of their movies, I think, but I'm not as intimately familiar with them as you seem to be, there, Zurfie...

Maybe someone ate too much paste as a kid?  smile

Oldnewbie rifles through his daughters movie collection looking for cucumbers and carrots

Just play

Unfortunately... 867-5309

Not screaming it from any mountain, but damn it's catchy

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

etc_04 wrote:

Unfortunately... 867-5309

Not screaming it from any mountain, but damn it's catchy

Tommy Tutone...very catchy ditty and extremely fun to play. Also a great song for practicing bar chord switches.

Elvis Costello

Oldnewbie wrote:

My daughter had one of their movies, I think, but I'm not as intimately familiar with them as you seem to be, there, Zurfie...

Maybe someone ate too much paste as a kid?  smile

No paste.  One of their Silly Songs With Larry is done by a group called New Kidz In the Sink.  And you betcha, I am intimately familiar with them all.  It is very funny stuff.  My kids are the right age to watch it and they love it.  It's one of the few things that I can put on and both the kids like it, and I like it too.  Larry the Cucumber and Bob the Tomato are the main characters.  The carrots are pikers.  Has-beens.  The real up and comers are the squashes.  Bob and Larry had better be careful about the squashes.  And those asparagus seem just a little bit too nice to be real.

- Zurf

VILLAGE PEOPLE, in a CULTURE CLUB with a PET BOYS

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

VILLAGE PEOPLE, in a CULTURE CLUB with a PET BOYS

HA!!! Great bands...that is by far the guiltiest yet!!!! Can anyone top that????

Elvis Costello

I adore the "UNDERESTIMATED" Beach Boys song TEARS IN THE MORNING.
Also some BEE GEES songs. I am speaking about 2001 when Napster was a must have and audiogalaxy.
100% free downloads at that time, before the trials, I had plenty of time, being at home (lived by mum, with my ex-girlfriend) where my office used to be. I have 22 CD'S, only BEE GEES. It took me months, finding song, on a never released album.
In stead of the best (I had some of their albums) I made a second best.
These guys wrote great songs, but it was "not done" to confess that you loved them.
So "don't forget to remember" "Israel" and "walking back to Waterloo" (both from TRAFALGAR)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

alvee33 wrote:

I've recently become obsessed with Rihanna's Umbrella. Once youve played this song once you can't stop.

Mine doesn't sound anything like this http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5paQ9BwFAgI&NR=1

You got a tab or chords for this? Its far better acoustic than the shite she did in the charts