Topic: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CUTAWAY AND A NORMAL SHAPE

I don't have an acoustic having a cutaway. I think that a cutaway gives more "access" to higher frets.
WITHOUT USING AN ACOUSTIC AMP, is there a significant difference in the SOUND?
Using as example a TAYLOR, 2 models real close to eachother. Isn't an electro acoustic Taylor always a cutaway, but if YOU PLAY ACOUSTIC, on an ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC DO YOU ALWAYS USE YOUR ACOUSTIC AMP? I don't think so, and this is the reason of this question: Is it correct to say that the sound is different?
I do hope someone can help me.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CUTAWAY AND A NORMAL SHAPE

I have a Martin ele/acoustic cutaway and absolutely love it. But like most cutaways it is a thinner body and has much less acoustic volume than full bodied Dreadnoughts and standards! The cut away is not that much of an advantage for me since I don't play much on those higher frets...cept some slide work at times.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I have a cut-a-way on my Yamaha. As jaygordon75 says the main difference I find is the volume. I also don't use the cut-a-way at the moment but who knows, in the future as my technical knowlege and ability increases (i hope)... And hey, it looks cool.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I have a cutaway Ibanez A/E and it's plenty loud.

Not saying that it wouldn't be louder without the cut, but just that it's not like the volume difference is going to make or break your guitar playing experience. smile

I like the A/E because of the on-board tuner, the ability to play plugged in or not, and it looks sweet!

Versatility.

THANKS friends.
My theory about a less better sound, using a CUTAWAY is this true?
I believe that "this non regular shape guitars" compared to a normal shape, some brands, I believe that a MARTIN dreadnought compared to the cutaway model, is producing a different sound.
IS THIS TRUE OR FALSE.
Except for professional players, or the good amateur, who give now and then a gig, when I play acoustic, I play NOT electro-acoustic. Sometimes, very rare, I have an Electro-acoustic MARTIN, a D-1, without a cutaway.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I would beg to differ. I have a Fender electro/acoustic with a cutaway and before I bought it I sampled many guitars with and without a cutaway. Unplugged the Fender had as much volume as any of them, more than a lot of them and a better tone (to my ears) which was why I bought it.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

The cutaway is to play the higher register of your neck as some persons play lead on acoustics also.

Bootlegger.

Yes indeed Boot, I mentioned it in this topic. BUT will there be difference in sound?