Topic: Epiphone Les Paul Special 2

Im looking at getting my first electric guitar soon however im sticking to learning the acoustic first. Does anyone know how good this guitar is, i fancy as an Epiphone LP the should sound and play pretty good and i can get in the UK a beginners package for around £160 which is pretty good as its a similar value to a yamaha pacific.

All feedback welcome.

2 (edited by Tim0473 2008-02-22 19:16:13)

Re: Epiphone Les Paul Special 2

Epiphone LP's are the introduction series into the Les Paul line and some dont realize they are made by Gibson ... alot of guitarists do actually use them (think of them as a cheaper alternative to the Gibson LP) ... Zakk Wylde/Slash use Epiphone Customs in some of their songs so they pump alot of $$$ in them ... it's all based on what feels comfortable with them and you

They are alot cheaper than a Gibson LP ... for the price (160 pounds = $220-$240) that's a great price ... my guess is you wont be disappointed with the Epiphone ... still a fine guitar for the Les Paul line ... you will still get the bluesy/classic rock sound with them ... I love how my Les Paul sounds ... and I'm sure you'll love the sound of the Epiphone just as well

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

You can also consider the Fender Squire line as well.  They are comparable to the LP Special.

Gibson LP is better

I know epi are made by Gibson and the LP in my opinion is a class looking guitar, i'd hate to purchase a cheap version and be left with a bitter taste with it and as a beginner i have little knowledge of how good it will sound in the shop.

The package also comes with a Marshal 10 w amp which by all accounts is fine to get started with.

I have the Epi LP100, it came in a pkg. I bought from Musicians Friend. I really like how it plays, feels & sounds. I also had an Ibanez package that was great too, but ended up selling it to pay for other interests at the time...

"Play it like you mean it!"
Epi LP100
Alvarez RD30 CU
Digitech RP 100A, Phase 90 (Script Mod - by me)

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II and also a Gibson Les Paul Classic....over $1500.00 dollars difference between the two. The Epiphone is acually a nice starter guitar and sounds pretty good. It has the looks and playability and for the price is an excellent guitar. The Gibson Les Paul is an absolute joy...    Why do I have both? I love to play and also collect some models...the Epiphone can be left in my jeep or at the church and wouldn't be a devastating loss if stolen...it's also left out at my house and kids and youth are encouraged to play.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

The Epi "Special" is a lower priced version of the regular Epi, which is a nice guitar.  I have an Epi Standard, Alnico pick ups, grover tunners...good solid guitar.  A buddy of mine has a special and it isn't in the same league.

"i'd hate to purchase a cheap version and be left with a bitter taste with it and as a beginner i have little knowledge of how good it will sound in the shop."

Don't do yourself down because you are a beginner. After all you can already tell a class looking guitar by sight. Listen to a real punk record, hear that cheap, sleazy sound? Most guitars can be tricked into giving it but if you want it from the moment you plug in then a Gibson Melodymaker or Junior (most of the one pickup big block types) will give it. When going round a shop don't think of what you might be able to coax out, think about what it delivers straight off the bat. A Gretsch will twang, a Rickenbacker will jangle, both could be turned into metal axes with noise gates and gain boxes but why fight type.

You're right to be wary but wrong to take anyone else's opinion on what to buy. Your ears are what counts. If a few years down the line you find you need a different guitar, hey that's musical progression...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Excellent advice, i vowed i wouldnt buy an electric untill July when ill be back from my holiday after which i'll be playing for 6 months or so. But i'll defo buy a LP, weather its EPI or ARIA we will see.

Another question is do i buy a package or buy seperately.

clansman1973 wrote:

Excellent advice, i vowed i wouldnt buy an electric untill July when ill be back from my holiday after which i'll be playing for 6 months or so. But i'll defo buy a LP, weather its EPI or ARIA we will see.

Another question is do i buy a package or buy seperately.

Hi Clansman,
This starter pack was the one I purchased when I started playing 15 months ago.  I don't have thousands of extra dollars for a hobby and the pack was a inexpensive option to test if I would like playing the guitar or not. 

I found that I outgrew the amp rather quickly.  I bought a 30 watt Vox Valvetronix series amp to replace the package one.  You can get this amp or a comprable one for not a lot of money so you may want to skip on the package amp but that's your call. 

I hear about inexpensive guitars giving inexperienced players fits but I must say that the guitar is decent and easy to play but I am currently looking at an upgrade there as well.  Not getting rid of the Epi mind you just looking for another way to drive the wife and dog crazy. big_smile

I hope this helps,
Jim