Topic: MODIFICATION ON AN ELECTRIC GUITAR

I don't know if "modification" is a correct word.
Why a topic about modification?
- I read quit often that a guitar player changes his "new guitar"
- It is often used by musicians who own a Mexican FENDER Stratocaster.
TRUSSROD: I surf a lot on the internet, and on an online music store like:
www.musiciansfriend.com
www.zzounds.com
www.music123.com
I love to read the opinions of customers. One of the most discussed items is the US strat versus the Mexican strat. I did read more than once that people buying a Mexican strat, start trying to make an US strat, they discuss about adjusting trussrods, (WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF CHANGING, ADJUSTING THIS TRUSSROD?), also since Fender started to use "silent coils", a lot of buyers, replace the original coils by "silent coils".
In fact most buyers of a Mexican Stratocaster, value 400$, are always discussing with people having a US stratocaster, price 1200$, that they MAKE FROM THEIR MEXICAN STRATOCASTER, an US stratocaster, buy changing thinks, like coils, and claiming that they have now an US stratocaster, for 600$ just by "modifications"
WHAT IS THE PHILOSOPHY, THE PURPOSE AND ARE THEY FOLLOWING THE RIGHT TRACK?
They claim and argue that their MIM stratocaster is now identical as a MIA stratocaster, but for half the price?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: MODIFICATION ON AN ELECTRIC GUITAR

Modding (I prefer the term "customization") seems to me to be about trying for a certain sound in an economical fashion.  If you like the sound of an MIA strat but can't afford it, why not buy the cheaper MIM version and replace the pickups?  It's pretty easy, it's a lot of fun, it makes the guitar uniquely yours; and if it gets you closer to "that sound in your head" then good for you.  Don't let anybody kid you about it suddenly being an MIA, though; it's a customized MIM.

Another popular platform for modding is the Gretsch 5120, which I've posted about before.  It seems almost everyone who buys one of these mods it up in some fashion.  Nobody claims to suddenly own a 6120 Chet Atkins model though.

Adjusting the truss rod has to do with neck relief; a properly set up guitar shouldn't need it.  I've no idea why a modder would go messing about unnecessarily with the truss rod unless he was intent on fouling up his axe...

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Adjusting the truss rod from time to time is often necessary on most guitars and basses. In order to get a guitar's action as low as possible, the neck has to be as straight as possible. Often a guitar's neck will be slightly bowed and in order to correct this, a truss rod adjustment is needed. Tightening the rod will cause the neck to bow forward and loosening it will cause the neck to bow backwards... Soooo if your neck is bowed backwards, tightening the rod a little should straighten your neck.

REMEMBER: tightening the truss rod too much could permanently damage your guitar's neck so make sure you have done some reading or have talked to someone before you attempt this. YOU SHOULD RARELY NEED TO TIGHTEN/LOOSEN THE TRUSS ROD MORE THAN A 1/4 TURN.

Also, customizing a guitar is a lot of fun! I bought a cheap strat copy then repainted it, replaced the pickups, replaced the neck, and made a custom pickguard for it. This guitar plays/sounds great and noone on earth has a guitar quite like it.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

4 (edited by cytania 2008-02-20 09:26:54)

Hi Phil, re: single coils/silent coils.

Strat owners are in a bind. The classic strat sound is 3 single coils, weak ones too, when strat modders talk about adding hotter coils they mean more output. Single coils pickup hum from the mains, shielding can do alot to alleviate this but it can be a real problem. In the 80s Fender hit upon making the middle single coil reverse, making any coil combination that uses it humbucking yet strat tone.

However true believers still maintain the original weak and noisy coils have a unique sound. Players like this sometimes turn back their volume knob between songs to purge out the noise that builds up.

Replacement coil makers that promise noiseless use all sorts of tricks from wax potting, to variations on humbucking. Most of their websites give good detail of what you are getting though.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I've got a MIM Strat that I bought pretty cheap at a Guitar Show...it has a quality neck, hardware and wood so I've used it as a "Hotrod" and "experimental" guitar to avoiding damaging the value of my other guitars. I've changed the pickups several times to get different sounds and now thinking about some custom paintwork.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hi guys ,
   Had to put my two cents in on this one .
   Shredfiend is right about not messing with the truss rod unless there is a need to do so , but , a guitar neck should not be straight . It should actually be bowed slightly to provide relief , usually measured at the 5th , 7th , 9th ( and so on )
frets . There are specs for this, but would have to get out my reference manual .
   Also the truss rod should never be used to adjust action . That is done at the bridge . Most electrics are easily adjustable and on accoustics you do this by raising or lowering the bridge saddle . to raise it you can either replace the saddle or shim it , to lower them I clamp them in the milling machine and I can remove as little or as much as needed
If you use any other method for this , you must be sure that the bottom is perfectly flat when you are done or the tone will suffer .
Again , just my two cents ,
" for what it's worth " ( hey
isn't that a song )

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

gitaardocphil wrote:

I don't know if "modification" is a correct word.
Why a topic about modification?
- I read quit often that a guitar player changes his "new guitar"
- It is often used by musicians who own a Mexican FENDER Stratocaster.
TRUSSROD: I surf a lot on the internet, and on an online music store like:
www.musiciansfriend.com
www.zzounds.com
www.music123.com
I love to read the opinions of customers. One of the most discussed items is the US strat versus the Mexican strat. I did read more than once that people buying a Mexican strat, start trying to make an US strat, they discuss about adjusting trussrods, (WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF CHANGING, ADJUSTING THIS TRUSSROD?), also since Fender started to use "silent coils", a lot of buyers, replace the original coils by "silent coils".
In fact most buyers of a Mexican Stratocaster, value 400$, are always discussing with people having a US stratocaster, price 1200$, that they MAKE FROM THEIR MEXICAN STRATOCASTER, an US stratocaster, buy changing thinks, like coils, and claiming that they have now an US stratocaster, for 600$ just by "modifications"
WHAT IS THE PHILOSOPHY, THE PURPOSE AND ARE THEY FOLLOWING THE RIGHT TRACK?
They claim and argue that their MIM stratocaster is now identical as a MIA stratocaster, but for half the price?

Phil,

Hot rodding (ie moddifing your guitar) as opposed to modification which to me would indicate that you would be making structual changes to the apperance of your guitar, basically you say tomatoe I say tomato senario will not change an MIM strat into a MIA strat.  The title refers to the country of origin where the guitar was manufactured the MIA  made in America and Mim made in Mexico. The MIA higher quality parts and labor to assemble and the MIM cheaper parts and labor. Mim's are great for hot rodding because of the actual base cost approximatley $400.00 american versus the $1200.00 mentioned above for the MIA that's alot of extra parts money to make your semi custom strat. As mentioned in previous postings by other members on this topic the truss rod adjustment is for neck relief.

Bootlegger.

Nothing to add, I just enjoyed reading these posts, Excellant input from all, this is why I

love this site....Keep it up guys,  FiveO