Topic: Ultimate Guitar

I have noticed very recently that tabs and chords have been added that are from the Ultimate Guitar website.  I do not agree with this because quite frankly, nine times out of ten the files from that site are either

a)badly formatted

b)wrong

or

c)just repeats of the same files that have already been posted.

Just thought that i would let all my fellow musicians out there realise this because in my opinion, Ultimate Guitar is not a good site, so why can't we just go back to having the files not from that website, where at least you had a chance of getting the correct chords/tabs.

Re: Ultimate Guitar

Interesting. Ultimate-guitar was added a couple of months ago. They actually have a good collection of very recent songs, but I agree with you that there are a lot of bad songs.

I will not remove them, but I am working very hard at finding ways to:

a) remove duplicates

b) remove bad songs

This is not anything I can do manually (Chordie contains about 1 million songs). But I will soon test out a way where everybody can mark the songs as bad.

<font color="darkblue">Hmmm.  I've been trying to think of a tactful way of asking about Ultimate-Guitar for a while but without much luck.  Seeing I'm not the only one questioning their actions makes it a little easier.  (Thanks, the brodie) 

I haven't seen any tabs that I thought were necessarily wrong - I would say "carelessly" done, perhaps.  The person does appear to be knowledgeable, but isn't putting much effort into the work.  Perhaps a Cmaj is used where a C#m7 is correct - that's just a loose example, whoever it is, they know more than I do.  Hee.

But I am bothered by the duplicate pages that I've seen lately.  One will credit an individual, sometimes dated several years earlier than the duplicate - a page containing nearly identical work that bears only the Ultimate-Guitar name and a copyright date - no mention is made as to the original author/contributor of the page.  The statement, <i>"This file is the author's own work and represents their interpretation | | of the song. You may only use this file for private study, scholarship, | | or research."</i>, is there but the only identification is "Ultimate-Guitar.com" along with a copyright date.  They don't claim authorship, but they don't credit it, either.  (My most recent find is Dylan's "Watching the River Flow", apparently contributed by "From: Harlan L Thompson <<a href="mailto:harlant&#64;hawaii.edu" target="_blank">harlant&#64;hawaii.edu</a>> / Date:   Wed, 29 Nov 1995 14:51:35 -1000".  I found all three formats, 2 of each)

So.  I'm wondering if this person has taken the opportunity to exploit the current "music sharing" mess, to enhance their business/personal interests.  While I suppose it is legal enough, part of me resents the profiteering nature of what I'm seeing.  (IF what I think I'm seeing is in fact the case.) It did cross my mind that perhaps the actual authors of the work have been compensated, rather than this being a evidence of an opportunist and a loophole in copyright law.  I don't know and Ultimate-Guitar hasn't responded to my questions.  It's also possible that by paying to for copyright to these works, they're actually donating to the community at large - as long as someone has a copyright, it can be made available to others without the threat of legal action.

I'm not asking that Chordie do anything one way or another.  (Chordie has already done more than enough for me - thanks for many hours of music, education and fun)  It's just that I've always appreciated and admired the many people who generously share of their talents, and ask little or nothing in return.  Basically this is just a personal thing for me.  But it's a pretty strong opinion to form, so I want to be sure.  If anyone has any comments, explanation, or otherwise, I'd appreciate hearing them.

One more - does anyone know of an organization or group working for a more sensible legal stance in this situation?

Thanks,

Eva</font>

Ultimate Guitar is not one person, but another site that hosts tabs.  I've found LOTS of bad transciptions with that annoying little "Ultimate-Guitar.Com ©" at the bottom.  Personally, I cringe when I see it since there's so much laziness displayed in the work: not always, but in general, they suck.  And as to their copyright claim, WTF?  How can an accurate transcription of someone else's music be copyrighted by another musician!?

Well, it would be nice to have a flagging system to flag inaccurate work for review.  Digg-esque, if you will.  And a button for flagging duplicates (not simply alternative transcriptions.)

the_brodie wrote:

I have noticed very recently that tabs and chords have been added that are from the Ultimate Guitar website.  I do not agree with this because quite frankly, nine times out of ten the files from that site are either

a)badly formatted

b)wrong

or

c)just repeats of the same files that have already been posted.

Just thought that i would let all my fellow musicians out there realise this because in my opinion, Ultimate Guitar is not a good site, so why can't we just go back to having the files not from that website, where at least you had a chance of getting the correct chords/tabs.

well, if most of the chords are from there that are shown in here then that is because people have directed chordie to it. They have added songs to chride from that site.
Songs do not get put directly onto chordie, instead it is used as a search engine.
you do not say why you do not like ultimate nor do I really care to be honest, all I am bothered about is songs on chordie and if they come from ultimate then so be it.
If you find they are wrong on chordie there is the option to correct it yourself so we can all see how you think a song should be, be it right or wrong. at the end of the day yo ucan do what you like, try the chords shown or amend them using the option at the bottom of every song. and if you still think someones version is wrong you can go to source and see what the original page from the original aite was like.

So if there was no Ultimate site then if what you say is true, then there would not be much on choride either

cheers for the input though

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

6 (edited by geordie pete 2008-02-23 16:26:35)

as with most sites the songs are arranged by "ear" you cannot post songs from a copy writed
book ...hence some chords will be "off key" according to ones preception of sound....for instance i somtimes play B7 instead of B  .....so yes some songs are not to form and also most people who post songs are not pros...just amatures like me. also even when i buy song books i still somtimes have to transpose cords or use a cappo to suit my style of playing.

can you tell me what do you call bad songs ie.......i love all sixties... beatles...shadows..etc also love lindisfarne.....but i detest punk......so if one person dislikes anothers genre...what song will be deleted.....or do you mean badly written so therefor you cannot play..

I've printed some tabs from Ultimate-Guitar and never found anything wrong with them. Quite a few repeats though.

I know I'm new here, and should probably keep my yap shut, but I am rarely capable of that...

I didn't pay any sort of membership dues to belong to Chordie, and I don't get a bunch of SPAM from them, either. I have found a bunch of great transcriptions through this site, and have been very impressed by the diversity of the collection of songs here.

Seems to me complaining about such a useful site is looking a gift horse in the mouth.

If you don't like the Ultimate transcriptions, don't use them...

Certainly constructive feedback to the admin can be helpful, but "it sucks" is not constructive, and accomplishes nothing.

I'm done now.

Just play

if there was a smilie thing for clapping here I would have lots of wee faces clapping your comment

lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending