Topic: Naming a guitar piece?

Hey, I've experimented with writing music, but I never could finish a song, or tie parts together.  Anyway, one day I was bored so I sat down and came up with this one-page thing, basically some chords tied together with notes.  This became my intro, as I wrote another nine pages.  There's still some work to be done with the repeating melodies and whatnot, but overall I think it's a descent piece (I play it on my acoustic).  I'd like to call it something other than "original guitar composition".  I suppose the name should match the overall sound of the music.  Does anyone have any advice on naming a song like this?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

2 (edited by arkady 2008-02-27 22:25:09)

Re: Naming a guitar piece?

Hi 06sc500
Naming a instrumental guitar song can be hard. Mine are mostly unnamed right to the last.
When I get a progression and overlaying melody sometimes something in the tone rhythm or feel of the piece suggests something to me an emotion or picture in my mind.
Other times nothing much comes so I record the piece and play it over many times see if something develops.
If all else fails I ask my wife what the piece suggest to her and see if what she feels sits well with me.
It's strange that something seeming so simple can be so frustrating and hard.
Ark

Hi everybody,
I am looking for ideas as to what to call the song myself and a friend of mine have written.
The basic melody reminds you / makes you think of a person walking off into a perfect eternal sunset.

Thanks

Hi enjoipanda,

If you have written a song then the best way to get a title is to take a phrase from the lyrics.

However I suspect it is actually an instrumental piece you have written so perhaps something like "Sunset", "Happiness" or maybe "Sunset on the Sand".

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

You mentioned the phrase "eternal sunset"-I like that a lot.  Not very creative on my part, but I like that phrase you used so much-how about "Into the Eternal Sunset"?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot