Topic: What is it About Martin Owners

I spent the weekend working the Wintergrass Bluegrass festival in Tacoma.  I manage the instrument check room, which operates like a coat check, only for people's guitars and banjos and fiddles and mandolins.   One of the things we do to keep things organized is to provide separate shelves for each type of instrument, and we make the guests write that down on their claim check tags.  It says "Instrument Type" right there on the tag, with a little line for them to fill in so we know.

Now, most people put down exactly that.  "Banjo."  "Guitar."  "Fiddle."  And so on.   But there is one notable exception to this.  Invariably, someone shows up with a Martin in a black hard case.  And they put "Martin" down on the tag.   When they pick it up, the tell you "It's the Martin in the black case."  I realize they don't know that I've got 30 Martins in that exact same black case,  but still. 

I found that this only applied to Martin owners.   The guy with the $20,000 gold plate pre-war Tonemaster just put "banjo."  The dude with the 1938 Martin C-1 just put down "guitar."  The dude with the custom 9 string Dobro just put down "dobro."  And so on.    But the dude with his new Martin D-28 in that black case ensured that everyone knew it was a Martin.

So why is that?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Re: What is it About Martin Owners

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I think one might compare the Martin mindset to the Harley-Davidson mindset. A person who owns a Harley doesn't ride a motorcycle, they ride a Harley. Same thing with a Martin......................

Dude, you do not even know how accurate that statement is.  I ride a motorcycle, and have for 20 years.  One of the other boards I post on is motorcycle specific, and I made this exact same comparison there, just to see what kind of reaction it would get.

Title of that thread was "The Harley and the Martin"

I believe that MARTIN, and some other brands like FENDER and GIBSON are part of our
"collective memory." I agree 100% with a Harley, why a HARLEY, there are probably better motorcycles. I compare it, in a 100% similar way with COCA-COLA, PEPSI-COLA, DR PEPPER.
Or McDonalds, BURGERKING.
I am not comparing a Martin with a cheese burger, it's just to place these guitars as a part of our COLLECTIVE MEMORY. Like the Beatles, Byrds, a certain moment everyone wanted a Rickenbacker. Take JIMI HENDRIX = JIMI FENDERIX (nice new word, I love it) and there is still a kind of mistery surrounding these brands. ASK 100 people to name 1 guitar, you will see all these brands returning.
And some people still live with the idea that they will be better players using Gibson, or Martin. About the story of "case" I love that story, it is so typical, a "cliché" DO YOU KNOW WHAT GUITAR IS IN THAT CASE? Be aware I am a fantastic guitar player...

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

But the guys checking in Gibsons and Fenders and Taylors every other kind of guitar just put "guitar" down on the check.  The only ones that ensured we knew the brand was Martin owners.  It was a huge outlier on the bell curve.

I didn't know Martin made bells...

Just play

Well, hell. I gotta black case but I got a Takamine in it.

Nela

Oldnewbie wrote:

I didn't know Martin made bells...

Someone does.  We checked in a bell case.  Looked just like a square mando case, but felt like it was full of bricks.  Every time we moved it we said "This is the heaviest mando in the history of music."

When the guy came to claim it, the check tag said "bells."

So the Martin owner is the BMW owner of guitars then...they don't buy it because it's good, they buy it so they can show off. hmm

9 (edited by wlbaye 2008-03-01 01:37:07)

I guess when I bought my HD 28 I didnt think of it as a status thing. I went to buy a J-45 Gibson,but the HD-28's sound jumped out at me and it was exactly what I was looking for.I've been riding Harley's for over 30 years and I didn't get into them for the status or notoriety,I did it for the chicks.

Later Wayne

Later, Wayne P

I own a J-45 and my hands have touched many a fine guitar. None finer in my mind, or in my hands, than my Gibson J-45. It's the standard that most guitars attempt to attain, in my humble opinion of course. I'll never be so closed minded to realize that there are differing views but if I may pesuade an innocent mind and fresh pair of hands, I say, excuse me, I yell !, Gibson J-45. From the 1942 original at $45 then to the current 2008 model at $2K+ get one and you will be happy, I gay-run-tee-it!!! Unless you're tone deaf with no taste for a good guitar..........................hehe

See us happily together here;
http://www.funk-e.biz/studiomisc.htm

Give everything but up.

Hey Southpaw . . . I agree . . . I've got a 1966 J-50, which is essentially a J-45 but different finish.  I've got a question for you . . . what size strings do you use.  I've had this guitar for 40 years, but only played a little.  It always sounded great.  I started to get serious about playing guitar a couple of years ago and play mostly electric (teles).  Anyway . . . it had the same strings on it that came with it . . . so . . . a year or so ago I replaced the strings (I can't remember what size) and it doesn't sound as good . . . I had a luthier make me a bone bridge to replace the rosewood bridge, but it still doesn't sound as good to me as it used to.  I think I went to lighter strings and that might be the problem.

Do you know what gauge strings came with it?

What do you use?

Any info is appreciated . . .

Thanks . . . R

About the "martin story" and reading about the other instruments it sounds weird.
Some people INSIST to show HOW IMPORTANT THEY ARE.
It' so strange, why putting MARTIN on it, seeing that there are really expensive guitars?
I used to compare such events as "ego-trippers", you'll find them everywhere. Maybe he paid to put MARTIN on his case. As told in every job, passion, you have the EGO-TRIPPERS:
- MEDICAL WORLD: If you are in a hospital, the "DOCTORS" (most still working to become cardiologist, surgeon...) you will notice people in a white "uniform" 1 or 2 stethoscopes around the neck, a front pocket completely filled with a beeper, a cell phone and 10 writing tools, in the 2 other pockets, a book (where medical problems in a nut shell are written) a blood pressure meter, in fact the more, the worse they are, imagine the fact that some patients or visitors COULD confuse him/her with a nurse. I agree it is a title and I hate titles, on a big reunion, shaking hands and telling: my name is Doctor Donkey, followed by, hi I'm Doctor Bull, hi I'm  Doctor Head, I could resist to say that it was strange that you all have the same name.
POLICE=worse, especially the motor bikers, the sun don't shine, but they ALWAYS have reflecting sunglasses, to avoid, I believe, eye contact.
Bottomline: a lot of people are "pretenders", the "have-you-seen-me" type.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I have a friend with a $40. rummage sale J-45 that has a killer sound I haven't heard another one like it. He has a distinct sound and cuts right through the mix.I went on a mission to find a new J-45 but  the sound didnt jump out at me. I certainly don't think that my HD -28 is better but It fit my song choices and the sound I was looking for. Sorry if I offended anyone,I too love the sound of the older J-45 and would buy one,but they are hard to find and I dont buy guitars off ebay.

Wayne

Later, Wayne P

Went to our regular Friday nite music session just to listen. One of the better pickers / somgers was there and for a change he was not playing his Martin.
While they were taking a break I got a chance to ask him where his Martin was and what was he playing. He had just went and bought a new acoustic amp and while there he saw a used ARIE electric / acoustic for $75.00 and bought it. After installing new strings and a little set-up work he said the sound was equal to his $1000.00 Martin and even easier to play. I admit the guitar did sound awesome. This just goes to show that the "Top of the Line" doesn't always mean it's the best.

Nela

I agree Doc ,some folks buy a brand just for attention or to belong somewhere.It is alot the same with Harleys,you see alot of what your referring there.I was riding & building choppers and repairing Harleys before it was cool.You see a lot of changes through the years and have to be more tolerant. I think alot of folks are just proud and excited about there new venture into Martin Guitars,Harleys or whatever turns their crank.

O to be young again!   

Wayne

Later, Wayne P

Tibernius wrote:

So the Martin owner is the BMW owner of guitars then...they don't buy it because it's good, they buy it so they can show off. hmm

Odd how most of the people who claim that BMW owners buy their cars to show off with have never driven one or even had a good look at one.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

SGinCYQX wrote:
Tibernius wrote:

Odd how most of the people who claim that BMW owners buy their cars to show off with have never driven one or even had a good look at one.

Oh this is not true. Before my wife met me she drove a shiny black BMW. After we wed she got rid of the Beamer and we now proudly share a  lime green and  pale yellow 1974 AMC Pacer. The BMW used to break down 3 or 4 times a month, our Pacer only breaks down 1 or 2 times a month. So hah, there a first hand testimonial from an ex-BMW owner. Plus, the Pacer is much more comfortable to sleep in than BMW....................

Give everything but up.

Hey, I wasn't going to chime in with the Martin brand debate, but since we're now BMW bashing, I need to step in. I've had a BMW  convertible for the past ten years. Still have it. The car never broke down, although I'm always buying tires for it. I'm no snob, but if you have ever driven a BMW, you know that they are fun to drive and are damn reliable machines. I can't wait for the new BMW model One to come out this year!
I have also owned (and still do) American cars and Japanese ones. And please don't remind me of the Pacer I once drove (it was a loaner, ouch!).
These cheesy boxes don't even compare when it comes to driving fun, quality and chick appeal. There is something about BMWs that attracts women just like my Fender American Strat. Both the Fenders and the BMW are quality instruments. Now go back in the garage and kick your Chrysler K car (or the plastic Mustang and Corvette.)
Play on!

Tennessee Strat wrote:

Hey, I wasn't going to chime in with the Martin brand debate, but since we're now BMW bashing, I need to step in. I've had a BMW  convertible for the past ten years. Still have it. The car never broke down, although I'm always buying tires for it. I'm no snob, but if you have ever driven a BMW, you know that they are fun to drive and are damn reliable machines. I can't wait for the new BMW model One to come out this year!
I have also owned (and still do) American cars and Japanese ones. And please don't remind me of the Pacer I once drove (it was a loaner, ouch!).
These cheesy boxes don't even compare when it comes to driving fun, quality and chick appeal. There is something about BMWs that attracts women just like my Fender American Strat. Both the Fenders and the BMW are quality instruments. Now go back in the garage and kick your Chrysler K car (or the plastic Mustang and Corvette.)
Play on!

Huh?! How dare you say bad things about my beloved Pacer. The Pacer is a sacred car in the world of rock-n-roll. Have you never seen Wayne's World? Besides that I once put a BMW emblem on the hood of my Pacer and people kept laughing at me so I removed the Beamer emblem. Now people only laugh at my  bumper sticker on my 3/4 rust infested rear bumper which reads, " My other car is a BMW but it's in the shop." And I know what you're saying about Strats attracting women. Sometimes I'll go to the beach in my 1974 lime green terry cloth shorts, a "Let's Go Streaking" t-shirt and my John Deere hat lightly perched atop my cranium and just stand there holding my Strat in the air. Women flock to me like buzzards on stank......................................

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

SP, you need to dig your "Keep on Truckin'" T-shirt out. They'll drag you home, then!

smile

too funny.

Just play

Tennessee Strat wrote:

Play on!

A guy I know has several BMW's. A 1973 2002 Turbo, an M5, and two M3 CSL's. If you know what a CSL is, you'll know how big of a deal that is. The M5 is his street car, the '73 2002 and one of the CSL's are track cars, and the other CSL is set up for pavement rally. The 2002 broke down a lot last time I saw it, even lost the differential. The CSL's are near stock and the one I've seen is stripped out and caged. Hasn't broke yet.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Royce Drake wrote:

Hey Southpaw . . . I agree . . . I've got a 1966 J-50, which is essentially a J-45 but different finish.  I've got a question for you . . . what size strings do you use.  I've had this guitar for 40 years, but only played a little.  It always sounded great.  I started to get serious about playing guitar a couple of years ago and play mostly electric (teles).  Anyway . . . it had the same strings on it that came with it . . . so . . . a year or so ago I replaced the strings (I can't remember what size) and it doesn't sound as good . . . I had a luthier make me a bone bridge to replace the rosewood bridge, but it still doesn't sound as good to me as it used to.  I think I went to lighter strings and that might be the problem.

Do you know what gauge strings came with it?

What do you use?

Any info is appreciated . . .

Thanks . . . R

I do not know what strings your guitar originally came with but the majority of acoustic guitars are strung up originally with light guage (.11-.50 or somehere thereabouts). You can 'shock' the wood on your guitar by drastically changing the guage of your strings. If you were happy with your previous sound and tone you should take your old strings(if youstill have them) to a local music store and have someone who works there try to set you up with a similar set. You may have to try 6 or more sets of strings before you find the missing sound and tone you're looking for. It's well worth the search though after you find the right strings!
    Personally I like the elixrs on my J-45 if I'm doing studio work where a mic is in front of my guitar. If I'm playing live I use D'Adarrio Nickle(12-52) on my acoustic. Yes nickles! My reason for using the nickle strings on my acoustic is they sound the same when I put them on as they do before they break. I play out alot (7-12 gigs a week) so my sound needs to be consistent. Nickle strings for me give me the best consistency with my sound and tone.

Give everything but up.

I agree 100%!!!

A friend at work has a Harley and my friend has a BMW GSR1200, One has a motorbike, one has a Harley, ridiculous.
Another mate of mine has a Martin, I have a Les Paul. Immediately he turns around and says "they're shit, nowhere near as good as a Martin", I asked what model, he didn't reply. I thought, christ I could have said Gibson, Fender, Jackson, Epiphone or PRS and left it vague as hell but in my opinion, you can tell a charlatan from a true guitar nut by how they talk about their guitars.

If people ask me about my guitars I don't bother mentioning brands or models. I say, its something I can't live without and every day I don't play it is a day lost. Or something along those lines. Its amazing that a friend of mine has almost no connection with his guitar, has a lovely 59 Les Paul, but doesn't care. I talk about playing my guitar almost all the time when not talking about beer, sports and women (not necessarily in that order) and if it wasn't for a job and a woman kinda disrupting my playing time, coupled with the lack of an ability to stay awake without going insane, then i'd play my guitar all the time

I've got a friend who's got a Martin D-18 from the 1970s -he loves it. Now get this: he also has a 70s Les Paul that has seen some abuse and has a cherry-burst top. It plays like butter! He hates that one, doesn't like the flashy top... but doesn't want to sell it, because someone told him that old LesPauls are worth a bunch of money. DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE TO YOU? I believe Martin puts something in the guitar that makes you a little wacko...

Play On!

There is a certain mood that surrounds Martin guitars. However, there is still no replacement for quality instruments, and there is no denying that Martin makes a quality instrument. It's also all about taste. If he likes his Martin and hates his Les Paul, sure. That's his choice. If, on the other hand, a Martin owner wants to tell you that his guitar is better than your Les Paul because its a Martin, despite the fact that the two cannot realistically be compared since one is a solid-body electric and the other is an acoustic aimed at a completely different market, he's an idiot, and that alone should give you satisfaction.

-Jimi Hendrix.