Topic: Hi All, new and have a question.

Im 32 years old and recently started playing again.  Again meaning when i was 24 I went out and bought a Ibanez electric, having not ever played before, but wanted to learn.  About 2 months later, i was given a Alvarez acoustic for a present.  Well, i "dabbled" for about 8 months, till i quit playing and eventually sold my Ibanez.

About a month ago, I picked my Alvarez back up and began to play again.  Now i'm really enjoying it. 

I mainly hope to play traditional hymns, and some praise and worship.  Although i'm having some problems with the F chord and B chord, I know that just more practice will help.

My question is, how long before I should be able to do some finger picking?  Is that a expert technique, or can i start practicing it now?  I want to make sure I learn all the basics first, but I didn't know where this comes into play.

Thanks in advance, and I enjoy your music, and help.

Re: Hi All, new and have a question.

Tekaran,

Welcome to Chordie!  You'll find a abundance of resources and experts here!  About finger picking, you should start dabbling into it now!  It's not an expert technique.  The basics for playing an acoustic is different between left and right hand.  Although both hands play the same instrument, both hands also play independently to make music. 

Learning finger picking should be part of your daily playing!  Even Electric!  There are several types of picking, including Travis picking and Chicken picking.  Do some research on the net or on this site.  You'll be picking in no time! 

Also, listen to finger picking artists, like James Taylor, Harry Chapin, Dan Fogelberg, Jim Croce, etc.  You'll learn different techniques between each one!

Good luck!

Hi there, Tekaran,

Go here http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-000-Technique.php and scroll right down to the bottom of the page. There are 2 video lessons on finger picking technique. They are both folk styles but there are some great tips on how to start thinking about finger picking.

I have to admit to being really bad at finger picking, but everyone is different. I prefer to flat pick but my brother-in-law, who is quite an accomplished semi-pro, can't flat pick to save his life but is a demon finger picker.

Have a go. I've been tying for ages and still suck. More practice and longer finger nails is what I need.

All the very best.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

hrmm, now i need to look up flat picking.  smile

Thanks again

Flat picking is definitely another avenue you can take.  However, if you're going more toward country and folk music, knowing the how to finger pick would help greatly.  Other artists like Pat Simmons (Doobie Bros.) and Derek Truck, use their finger picking expertise when playing electric guitar.  No pick is used here. 

Either way, it's good to get a jump start on it now!  IMHO.

Tekaran wrote:

hrmm, now i need to look up flat picking.  smile

Thanks again

Flat picking is just picking with a pick (plectrum).

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

You can start playing fingerpick style right now if you like.  All fingerpick means is that you use your fingers to pick the strings.  There's a book that I've been using called "You Can Teach Yourself Fingerpick Style Guitar".  It's geared towards 12 year olds based on the cover art, but if you can swallow your pride long enough to buy the thing, the lessons are wonderful.  I've only gotten up through the first dozen lessons or so and I now feel more comfortable fingerpicking than using a pick. 

Get the book, get the concepts, and start applying them to songs that you play now.  Have fun and keep it light.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Here's how to get the book.
www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=96498

Old age and treachery...

Zurf wrote:

You can start playing fingerpick style right now if you like.  All fingerpick means is that you use your fingers to pick the strings.  There's a book that I've been using called "You Can Teach Yourself Fingerpick Style Guitar".  It's geared towards 12 year olds based on the cover art, but if you can swallow your pride long enough to buy the thing, the lessons are wonderful.  I've only gotten up through the first dozen lessons or so and I now feel more comfortable fingerpicking than using a pick. 

Get the book, get the concepts, and start applying them to songs that you play now.  Have fun and keep it light.

- Zurf

Thank you, thank you!  Exactly what I've been looking for.  Plus if geared for 12 year olds, it will be a perfect match for my maturity level!
It's on its way.

Ranger

Yee Haw

bummer, canot order this book outside of us, and cant find it anywhere...if anyone knows wher ei can get one in uk. please lety me know

Cheers ears!

Life isnt about FINDING yourself.....Its all about CREATING yourself!!!!

Hello, when I started fingerpicking I started with a D chord and played it over and over and didn't worry about changing chords,just thumb,1-2-3 fingers or thumb ,2-3  patterns it doesnt take that long and you will be comfortable with a G C D progression.

Just don't get locked into just fingerpickin like I did,keep strumming also or it is hard to get out of the habit of fingerpickin everything.If you get a good folk pattern down,branch out into some travis pickin also.You can do it.

I usually alternate the top 2 strings of a chord with my thumb,it is easier than it appears,if you have your chord changes down,you will be fingerpickin within a week.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Hi Tekaran
I started finger picking by using simple arpeggios on all the basic chords.
This gives you a quick start into picking and a foundation for further development.
Ark

Hi and wellcome to chordie smile
Fingerpicking isnt hard just practise and you will be able to do it.

I'm a beginner and I strum and finger pick (very rarely use a plectrum at all to be honest as I'm modeling myself on a virtuoso friend who never uses one and has a mainly picking style).

When I started I went straight into learning strumming and picking. I'd say my finger picking has progressed more than my strumming with less practise, so - as has already been said - it isn't hard. I think you are best to learn the fundamentals of picking alongside the fundamentals of the other aspects of guitar playing so you can progress at it all more evenly.

hi iam 51 years old and have just started "finger picking". what ive found by asking other
buskers that the style of your finger picking is unique to yourself.yes you have P.I.M.A but i for one finger pick my guitar in my own style that suits me.so dont be put off by books showing how to play. just as they say, do it your way.

clare7377 wrote:

bummer, canot order this book outside of us, and cant find it anywhere...if anyone knows wher ei can get one in uk. please lety me know

Cheers ears!

E-mail your address to me.  I'll send you a copy.  Others  have been generous with me to help me get started.  Time for some payback.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

geordie pete wrote:

hi iam 51 years old and have just started "finger picking". what ive found by asking other
buskers that the style of your finger picking is unique to yourself.yes you have P.I.M.A but i for one finger pick my guitar in my own style that suits me.so dont be put off by books showing how to play. just as they say, do it your way.

Right on! 

Figure out the concepts and get some patterns to get you started using books, but applying them to songs to make them your own is up to you.  To give you an idea of what I mean, I'm working on a fingerpick bluegrassy version of Crocodile Rock that is a lot of fun to play (though folks may not want to hear it).  I listen to a lot of covers - Dr. John doing Stevie Ray Vaughan or Bonnie Raitt doing John Prine or Johnny Cash doing Harry Nillson, etc.  It's extremely useful to a budding musician to hear how various artists interpret the same songs.  Willie Nelson can take any song and turn it into a Willie Nelson song just by his approach to it.  I think fingerpicking gives the opportunity and flexibility to do that to a starting guitarist. 

- Zurf

p.s.  Sorry for the double post.