Topic: Why do you play guitar?

Whatmakes you want to play guitar? The main reason i play is that i have nothing else to do. Just wondering...................

Re: Why do you play guitar?

For the fun.  I love the way my fingers ache after playing for hours.  Keeps me from spending too much time in front of TV.  And I enjoy 'performing' for my family.  It's a way to relax.

Because I love playing...that's it. I'll never be a star or even very good. I play because I LOVE to play. I think that's why most people on Chordie play.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

i picked up a guitar 50 yrs ago i was 16 rock n roll was in its infant stage guys like link ray duane eddie buddy holly it wasn't that I wanted to be like them it was the beat of the music little richard was and still is great but the first band that started R&R was bill haley and the comets (rock around the clock) i was drawn to the music like stink on a diaper i still am, the music not the diaper

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I picked up the guitar because I wanted some HOT groupies chasing after me. It's all about the wimmen - big'uns, little'uns, short'uns, tall'uns - Wimmen - wimmen - wimmen. Now none of ya'll better tell my wife I typed this.

Nela

Hey Nela ,
   I'm gonna tell ( what's your phone number ? )
   When I started playing, girls were not a distraction yet . I learned most of what I know before that and after the worst of it . Roy Clark claims to have learned most of what he knows before women became a distraction .
   I play for the reason most people do , the love of making music.................

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Love your responses guys!  That made my morning ... haven't laughed like that in a few weeks!

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I'm just in it for the money, and the girls.

Just play

For the nice sound and music, grils, cash, popularity... WTF it doesnt matter... ITS FUN !

Well Slash, why do we live? Isqn't it weird to be born and to make a constation that from the moment you are born, the countdown starts. It's probably an idiot answer. I should ask you WHY DO YOU PLAY? I saw your answer and ifI'm right you wrote that you don't have anything else to do.
Forgive me these  questions:
- How old are you?
- How long do you play- What do you play, acoustic/electric?, what style.
- On a scale of 100 (about playing guitar), how high do you think you are? 10, 30, 50...
- DO YOU ENJOY PLAYING GUITAR = THE ESSENCE OF YOUR QUESTION.
- Are you bored when you play, or are you really playing because you're bored?
Life can be so wonderful, and I do know what I'm talking about, because of all events in my life.
We love to play, and chordie is a great community, we try to pass knowledge and to learn, acquire knowledge. I really hope that your interesting question is more clear now.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Nice answer Slaya

and the chicks, doc.  You forgot the chicks!

Just play

gitaardocphil wrote:

Well Slash, why do we live? Isqn't it weird to be born and to make a constation that from the moment you are born, the countdown starts. It's probably an idiot answer. I should ask you WHY DO YOU PLAY? I saw your answer and ifI'm right you wrote that you don't have anything else to do.
Forgive me these  questions:
- How old are you?
- How long do you play- What do you play, acoustic/electric?, what style.
- On a scale of 100 (about playing guitar), how high do you think you are? 10, 30, 50...
- DO YOU ENJOY PLAYING GUITAR = THE ESSENCE OF YOUR QUESTION.
- Are you bored when you play, or are you really playing because you're bored?
Life can be so wonderful, and I do know what I'm talking about, because of all events in my life.
We love to play, and chordie is a great community, we try to pass knowledge and to learn, acquire knowledge. I really hope that your interesting question is more clear now.

I guess your right. I'm 12 and started playing about 6 months ago. I play electric mostly but i also play a little bit of acoustic here annd there. I think I'm about a 40 which is one of the reasons that i think i will get more interested as i advance.
I think guitar is the best instrument to play. im a very active person and during the winter can't do much outdoors. I also like music a lot. Does that answer the question?

So dear SLASH1998, I started too, because it was fun. Maybe I hurt some feelings, but WHO, I MEAN EVERY CHORDIAN, didn't start playing, being convinced to CONQUER the world with my guitar, solo or in a band. Common guys, who didn't had that idea?
In fact I'm really glad about the way I lived. I knew the most musicians here in Belgium, and a lot were patients too. What can an "old man" like me add ? I really lived a similar Rock & Roll life.
I've met, talked, discussed with some of the greatest bands, thanks to the fact I was doc for artists on one of the greatest festivals in the world, this 15-16 years. The artists: 75% are really nice guys, I have so many "anecdotes, facts" that I can write a book. FUN, FUN, FUN, being invited by Dave Grohl, and having his private phones, Michael STIPE telling me he liked me a lot, so I squeezed my a** you never know. Some artists are a pain in the a**, but the WORST KIND OF PEOPLE ARE: "THE VULTURES" flying around the artists. They have an attitude I can't describe, they are convinced to be more popular than the musicians.
I wrote this again, and yes you start dreaming, what should be YOUR reaction when invited on stage with Neil Young, The Cure and seeing 60.000 people holding a lighter in their hand. A part of that experience will stay forever, and standing behind a curtain, but able to see everything, gives you an adrenalin boost. THIS IS A MOMENT YOU FEEL SORRY, the feeling, playing guitar, is like a shrimp compared to a lobster. WHY,  WHY and WHY.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I play guitar 'cause I like it and I think its fun...
Also, guitar is my favoritd instrument

I was just talking to a guy in the pub about this, it wasnt the reason you play but hte reason you wanted to play mines was to impress the ladies, and you know what twenty years ago it worked. Now when you play it takes your mind off everything else!

I started to play Guitar,

Because i love the sound, i love music, also to take my mind away

from sadness at that time..... Now the other reason !! I was hoping to bump into
the " Nela Fella"  one of the nights in my Yahoo Club  .Ummm, also,  Just to see how well he cooked his Cackle berries of a morn lol

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Old Doll, my darling. I done thought you had left me as I haven't seen any posting from you lately. I been'a missin' you real bad.

Nela

I play guitar because a dancing  pygmy came to me in a dream and told me it was my life's destiny to do so. The pygmy was clad in a tye-dye t-shirt and bell bottom multi-colored pants. He said this to me, I clearly remeber it ;

"Did-e-le-dar ,Did-e-le-zar
Fill your life with love and guitar
Did-e-le-zoop Did-e-le-zool
Do this and all will be cool.................."

Give everything but up.

Ive been here  all along Nela,

Lost down the back somewhere behind all thoses other wimmem! lol

Ah your Nela the Fella alright, ya should be known as "Nela The Player" And i dont mean your guitar lol

Hugs from a very cold and Stormy Emerald. Brrrrrrr.

Old Cold Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

why do i play guitar? for the sheer pleasure of just playing,nothing better than picking
up my 12 string and just play, and for people to say ey pete is that a beatles,shadows,tune,
you are playing? what a rush......

I started playing sax when I was 9 and guitar at 14.  I just can't even imagine not playing at least a little bit.  Sometimes it is hard to get to with family,  work, etc...   I have fun and get great satisfaction from learning new songs, scales, techniques and from entertaining myself and my friends.   It's really great to collaborate with other musicians and the bond formed with many former band mates has lasted a lifetime. 
Playing guitar has added an aspect to my life that many people never experience, both good and bad.   I have too many friends lost to drugs and booze, but so many great realtionships as well.

and, of course the girls...

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

This is a silly thread - NELA had it right - it's all about impressing the chicks. If you say otherwise you are only fooling yourself. LOL

(this from a happily married 43 yo - And when I play, the chicks leave the room!)

But I will have groupies in the nursing home - I should be decent by then. smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

i play guitar cause its something to do and the fact i love playing it
my bands kickin' off and we sounds pretty good
and yes it does bring in the girls too wink

its just a name!

[url=http://www.myspace.com/punked_will]www.myspace.com/punked_will[/url]

Finally, folks are getting to the real reason!

The chicks!

And don't forget the money!

Just play