Topic: Feeling or skill ?

Im not so good on solos and things like that... but its fun those small things i can.
But i wonder :

Whats most important ?   Play on feeling or having úber-solo skills?

2 of my favorite guitarists are Slash and Eric Clapton.
Slash is playing amazing solos and look cool when he play.
But Eric... if you just hear his music you will think : NOOB SOLO.
But if you see him... his playing with an ****ing good feeling.
Eric Clapton is better in my opinion but please, send some post so i know what the rest of the world thinks.

Re: Feeling or skill ?

It takes both. All the feeling in the world won't do much good without at least some fundamental knowlege of lead playing. It doesn't take a whole lot. You don't even have to understand why things work but you do need to know what works and how to do them. Feeling is what makes the solo yours.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

well....yeah.......kind of

4 (edited by cytania 2008-03-03 09:22:48)

You've got to have the feeling, all the skill in the world won't matter if the solo lacks feeling. Think of the solo as a song within the main song, a tiny symphony. There are some very effective simple solos, Buddy Holly's 'That'll Be The Day' does a few chords and then repeats the song riff, but Buddy makes it sound exciting, commanding and every bit a real solo. Thats feeling triumphing over skill, Buddy played it like he meant it.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Lots of technical players out there...some seem to think that playing stuff fast is equal to playing good.  People like Clapton have the skill to play anything they want to express emotions and feelings. Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top will just play along stuff with lots of feeling and cool emotion and every once in a while slip an incredibly fast (and cool) lick in just to make sure everyone is awake...BB King can get more expression out of a couple of notes than Malmsteen or Vai can get in a whole concert...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

When playing music, it isn't just what you say with the notes it's also how you say it. At the same time if you say something completely incoherent it's not gonna make much sense no matter how much emotion you say it with.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Scales, scales, and more scales . . .
Solo lines, hooky riffs, and dazzling embellishments all boil down to scales.

Classically trained musicians (and jazz cats) spend vast amounts of time learning and perfecting scales.  Major, minor, pentatonic, modal, etc . . . Why?  Because melodic lines are derived from scales - learning the patterns of different scales (up, down, backwards, and sideways) is the magic key.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

True James but most people have trouble understanding minor and major scales. I recommend learning the basics before acquiring scales that only fit off-beat jazz stuff.

I've been playing nearly four years and still don't always 'hear' the modality first off. Got myself in a real pickle last week trying to play a minor tune bassline with a major triad!

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I think you need both skill and feeling.  And scales... 
But, Chuck Berry had one basic lick (that he copied from his piano player Jimmie Johnson) and a duck walk.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

cytania wrote:

True James but most people have trouble understanding minor and major scales. I recommend learning the basics before acquiring scales that only fit off-beat jazz stuff.

I've been playing nearly four years and still don't always 'hear' the modality first off. Got myself in a real pickle last week trying to play a minor tune bassline with a major triad!

Major and minor scales *are* the basics.   They are the foundation for just about every modern guitar piece you're going to play,  and the foundation for any solo you're going to play.\

People think that they can get by on "feeling" and not understand how to manipulate the fretboard are never going to be able to play the guitar well.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

very well put jerome its a fact songs that are structured on solid theory make listening enjoyable the rest is just noise

"Growing old is not for sissies"