Topic: Best alternative and punk band

GREEN DAY ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Best alternative and punk band

The Ramones Dude,  It's all about the Ramones. 

"Damn,  I just lost one of the tennis balls off my walker."

They rock too! Hey Ho, Lets go

stiff little fingers, the alarm ,the clash,
without SLF you would have had a completely different greenday!

and without the clash, you would have had a different SLF.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Upon their initial emergence, Green Day was about as punk as they come. Their commercial success however softened them and now they have a guitar player and a keyboardist performing with the original 3, unseen behind or under the stage. Pretty un-punk if you ask me. You want punk? Listen to the New York Dolls, early Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop, Ramones, and best of all-time (IMO) The Sex Pistols!

Give everything but up.

The first time I heard Greenday (maybe about 1990/91) the first thing that struck me was.......

The Clash.

Loved them ever since.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

mixter102 wrote:

The Ramones Dude,  It's all about the Ramones. 

"Damn,  I just lost one of the tennis balls off my walker."

hell yea the ramones!

THE CLASH, The sex pistols, Operation Ivy, Dead Kennedy's, The Ramones, Iggy, The Adicts, Rancid*, Greenday*,and The Who (<- they were punk before there was punk)

*=Some what
Cheers

-Tron

"When the mode of the music changes, the wall of the city shake"
-Plato

alvee33 wrote:

The first time I heard Greenday (maybe about 1990/91) the first thing that struck me was.......

The Clash.

Loved them ever since.

Where did you see them?

and did you ever see Operation Ivy?

-Plato

Tron Truncheon wrote:

THE CLASH, The sex pistols, Operation Ivy, Dead Kennedy's, The Ramones, Iggy, The Adicts, Rancid*, Greenday*,and The Who (<- they were punk before there was punk)

*=Some what
Cheers

-Tron

Since when are the who punk!

"and without the clash, you would have had a different SLF."

Ahh, I remember hearing SLF for the first time - Alternative Ulster , Barbed Wire Love . . . choice memories of bad times in Belfast !

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

The Ramones
The Clash

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

I entered in to soon.

I need to also add the Sex Pistols.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

14 (edited by Tron Truncheon 2008-03-12 02:55:21)

Did any one see Operation Ivy when they were still a group!
Cheers

-Tron

-Plato

greendaydude wrote:
Tron Truncheon wrote:

*=Some what
Cheers

-Tron

I thought that too at first but I am with Tron on this one, the who although seen as mods were in fact 60's punk.
They had attitude, agression, they were for the young people, they stood against the government. their lifestyle was much more punksi hthan greenday ever were or will be.

I do think greenday are not bad but their earlier stuff is by far better then their commerialised stuff. but in no way were they or will they ever be in the top 5 best punk bands of all time.

Ken

The Who started out kinda punk, kinda '60's mod.  Check out the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, the one when Hendrix burns his strat. Townsend smashes a strat and Moon trashes his kit. 

But, the early Stones were really punk, definitely more than the Who. They looked the part and were the really bad boys.  And their songs were very punk, working class rebellion: Satisfaction, Get off my Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Mother's Little Helper. 

Neither is a top 5 punk band of all time, but credit where credit is due.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

I originally said this but ended up editting greenday's post rather than me quoting from it, the part about "since when were the who punk", sorry greenday, I clicked on the wrong option. I clicked edit instead of quote.
Will not happen again. So i went in and editted it out as you never typed what I typed, below is what I typed.
lol
confused? yea me too lol
but tony had quoted my post although it was under your name.
I must be more careful,appologies

Ken

I thought that too at first but I am with Tron on this one, the who although seen as mods were in fact 60's punk.
They had attitude, agression, they were for the young people, they stood against the government. their lifestyle was much more punksi hthan greenday ever were or will be.

I do think greenday are not bad but their earlier stuff is by far better then their commerialised stuff. but in no way were they or will they ever be in the top 5 best punk bands of all time.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Social Distortion, Dead Kennedy's ... gotta love 'em

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

By the mid '70's the Who were flat and flaccid. They had a wonderful legacy, but they were also one of the supergroups who were being reacted against by punk. So the same group can be heros and despised at the same time! It is about attitude.

I'm waiting on the gray wave groups - all those geriatric pickers on chordie pulling together bands and singing about heroin and HRT, the police and pensions, revolution and retirement . . . It has to start some time!

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

I'm a big Social Distortion fan myself.

Have to also say I also like The Ramones and Green Day. Plus, I just got "London Calling" by The Clash. 

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't label her punk, but I'd check out the Joan Jett songs
"Bad Reputation" and "Love Is All Around" (Mary Tyler Moore theme song.)

The Clash and Stiff Little Fingers, without a doubt are the best of the Punk bands.  Special mention for The Damned as well though.

Regarding The Who; They defo had all the Punk credentials before it could be classed as a 'movement'. In fact I think I'm right in saying that Steve Jones and Paul Cook of the Sex Pistols told Pete Townshend that they were the only "dinosaurs of rock" that they actually credited with playing decent music. Mr Jones in particular would have been keen to give Pete credit as he ripped off his 'windmill' technique quite shamelesly! smile

Without groups like MC5, Iggy and the Stooges etc bands like The Clash etc would probably have sounded a helluva lot different.

Where and when did Punk start???  Probably a few hundred years ago, with the first musician that said 'F*&K it, I'm gonna play the Devils interval if I wanna'   What a rebelious individual he/she must have been. wink lol

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

upyerkilt wrote:

I originally said this but ended up editting greenday's post rather than me quoting from it, the part about "since when were the who punk", sorry greenday, I clicked on the wrong option. I clicked edit instead of quote.
Will not happen again. So i went in and editted it out as you never typed what I typed, below is what I typed.
lol
confused? yea me too lol
but tony had quoted my post although it was under your name.
I must be more careful,appologies

Ken

Ken

I totally get it know! no problem with the editing  it's fine

A good new punk band is Rancid. I got them confused with the clash when I heard their song "Ruby Soho." Then I googled it and realized it was Rancid.

greendaydude wrote:
Tron Truncheon wrote:

*=Some what
Cheers

-Tron

And also Op ivy should have a * cus' they were only a few years before Rancid, and Green Day

but op ivy> rancid, green day, or any "punk" band since

i was born way too late cos i have only heard of green day but im a huge fan of their 90-97 stuff

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar