Topic: LOVERS WE WERE

This song was composed last week it is a ballad and can be listened to on my web page Roger Guppy helped A great deal with the formating much thanks

Lovers We Wereby Russell Harding

intro:

[Bm] [C] [Bm] [C]

.                                                                                   

Verse  1:

Is [Bm]this how it always must [C]end?

Lovers we [Bm]were now were not even [C]friends,

[F]I was so close to you I wanted all of you,

[C]Forgive me I let you [G]down.

Verse 2:

[Bm]Laughing all night drinking [C]wine,

Your [Bm]eyes said make love one more [C]time,

You [F]gave me that smile and for awhile,

My [C]whole world was loving [G]you.

Chorus:

[F]Saying goodbye is so [Bb] easy,

[Ab]Someone else is on your [Eb]mind,

[F]It’s not my first or my [Bb]last affair,

I get [F]better at it each [Bb] time, I just say,

So [Dm]long goodbye I [G]love you,

So [Dm]long goodbye I [G]love you.

.                                                                                 

Verse 3:

[Bm]Dont call me I wont call [C]you,

[Bm]Just keep it simple and [C]cool,

Don’t [F]give me that smile don’t give me that smile,

And I [C]won’t be lovin’ [G] you.

.                                                                                   

Chorus:

[F]Saying goodbye is so [Bb] easy,

[Ab]Someone else is on your [Eb]mind,

[F]It’s not my first or my [Bb]last affair,

I get [F]better at it each [Bb] time, I just say,

So [Dm]long goodbye I [G]love you,

So [Dm]long goodbye I [G]love you.

.                                                                                   

Outro:

It's [F]easy [Bb]lovin’ you [F]lady [Bb]so [F]easy

repeat to fade

"Growing old is not for sissies"

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-03-17 15:58:56)

Re: LOVERS WE WERE

For C I use a bar a form 3rd fret, for Eb I use BarA form 6th fret, for Dm I use bar Bm form5th fret G is optional I bar it at the 3rd fret F form but open g sound as good and may be easier. the Bmto C change slides easy from 2nd to 3rd fret and it voices the melody line better but any way you can play the chords is fine its up to you

hi russell i'm not into all these fret changes i keep it simple but a lovely song...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Holy schmoley, you are a mutant.  How do you even draw those chords?  I like the lyrics, but you gotta know right now I'm never even going to try and play that! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Russ
Glad you got your head around Chopro . This must be the Ballard you mentioned.
I had listen it's a polished performance.
Well done nice guitar riff there compliments the vocals.
Ark

Daddycool thanks for your comments all the changes are necessary for this song or it wouldn't be what it is if you go to my website and listen to it I used only the chords I needed no less no more glad you like it

daddycool wrote:

hi russell i'm not into all these fret changes i keep it simple but a lovely song...stay cool

Zurf pull your head out of the sand you cant hide from the "evil B" forever or any of these chords for that matter  I will work on a transposistion,let me see what i can cook up. the chord diagrams roger guppy inserted I dont know how he did it but i will ask if you dont reach you can never climb higher you cant soar with eagles if your cooped up with turkeys

Zurf wrote:

Holy schmoley, you are a mutant.  How do you even draw those chords?  I like the lyrics, but you gotta know right now I'm never even going to try and play that! 

- Zurf

Ark thanks I apprciate your words I think I can handel chopro with rogers help it looks cool when its displayed all "purddy like" I put up a vid and poked fun at my song,talk about ham acting I get a good laugh out of it tho  and im putting the finishing touches on a song for Zurf its called "Zurf and the evil B" lots of B chords Zurf will love it LOL

arkady wrote:

Hi Russ
Glad you got your head around Chopro . This must be the Ballard you mentioned.
I had listen it's a polished performance.
Well done nice guitar riff there compliments the vocals.
Ark

Hi Russ,

I was privileged to get the chance hear this song whist giving a bit of coaching on the formatting and what a cracking one it is, well done my friend.

As an aside the chords appear at the bottom as part of the formatting, if it is shown in the song the chord diagram automatically appear at the bottom.

Great song,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

this is a lovelly song, a very haunting melody line and i just love the guitar work, the chords are great, how did you come up with them? i would never have thought of basing a verse on Bm to C, great. and then the key drop to Bb on the chorus. got to say it works so well, nice recording too.

well done

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

11 (edited by Zurf 2008-03-17 21:38:56)

Russell,

I think you misunderestimate my ability to imitate an ostrich! 

I'm still working on F, F#m, and Bm with any alacrity whatsoever.  Some day.  According to Deathday.com, I've got another 40 some years of practice to get it right before I kick the bucket.  Maybe one of these days I'll play a B.  Probably just after I grow the sixth and seventh fingers on my right hand...

You know, I was feeling pretty good about using an E-shaped barre chord for G in a song that has the chorus move back and forth between F#m and G, but those B's - they're just evil.  Face it.  I'm absolutely certain that if it weren't for those B chords, Satan wouldn't keep popping up on the right side of the screen asking about my eternal fate.  But there he is, every time I visit Chordie.  (Please tell me you guys get Satan too, please...)

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

12 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-03-17 21:46:15)

phil i apprciate your comments I recorded one guitar first and laid another track a 3rd above the first I first sang the melody line and found some chords that fit  I originally used a Fmaj7 for the start of the chorus but it sounded abrasive with the transistion to the Bb so I made it a plain f maj I am busy with new songs gotta get them down while the melodies are fresh thanks again for your thoughts  russell

Phill Williams wrote:

this is a lovelly song, a very haunting melody line and i just love the guitar work, the chords are great, how did you come up with them? i would never have thought of basing a verse on Bm to C, great. and then the key drop to Bb on the chorus. got to say it works so well, nice recording too.

well done

phill

13 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-03-17 22:15:28)

Zurf I thought I was the only one Roger thought I may have picked up a virus I dont think you need imitate an ostrich I may have phrased my thoughts metaphorically I dont worry about Saten caus Jesus can kick his butt! and he knows it I have an Idea for helping with the evil B I will draw from the secrete writings of the mutants the lost civilazation of the doomed planet of deformity on the third moon of Chebar and video tape them the head priest was a bitch of a lead player his name was ug the malific 

Zurf wrote:

Russell,

I think you misunderestimate my ability to imitate an ostrich! 

I'm still working on F, F#m, and Bm with any alacrity whatsoever.  Some day.  According to Deathday.com, I've got another 40 some years of practice to get it right before I kick the bucket.  Maybe one of these days I'll play a B.  Probably just after I grow the sixth and seventh fingers on my right hand...

You know, I was feeling pretty good about using an E-shaped barre chord for G in a song that has the chorus move back and forth between F#m and G, but those B's - they're just evil.  Face it.  I'm absolutely certain that if it weren't for those B chords, Satan wouldn't keep popping up on the right side of the screen asking about my eternal fate.  But there he is, every time I visit Chordie.  (Please tell me you guys get Satan too, please...)

- Zurf

If you let me in on the secrets of the ancient and lost civilization of mutants, I will endeavor to improve my attitude towards the B.  Nevertheless, I am content for now to continue my existance in sub-par mediocrity.

- Zurf

Hope springs eternal

Zurf wrote:

If you let me in on the secrets of the ancient and lost civilization of mutants, I will endeavor to improve my attitude towards the B.  Nevertheless, I am content for now to continue my existance in sub-par mediocrity.

- Zurf

I rarely visit the songwriting forum anymore because I struggle in "reading" what a song sounds like - I prefer hearing them, but I'm glad I checked this one out and I really enjoyed the recording. Well done Russ, good quality and your breadth of styles never ceases to amaze me.

(That said - I'm with Zurf - I ain't gonna even attempt to play it smile )

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

top     buck buck buck bugaaaak

Russell_Harding wrote:

top     buck buck buck bugaaaak

LOL Ross - Challenge accepted. I'll give it a shot. Maybe tomorrow - I just popped my damned G string and it's too damn late to change 'em. smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!