Topic: Strat Replacement Pickups

I've decided to replace the pickups on the Strat copy I built. I played it yesterday and they are terrible.

Now I've got a choice: Stick with the S-S-S layout or swap to coil-tapped S-S-H or H-S-H.
The body routs have already been done for H-S-H (it had those routs when the kit came), the only thing is I want to be able to keep the Single-coil Strat sound from it, and I don't know if it sounds the same with Coil-tapped Humbuckers. hmm

Another option would be to use Strat-Sized Humbuckers and coil-tap them.

Re: Strat Replacement Pickups

If you really want to keep the single coil sound then stay with S S S, coil tap will require differing wiring and a push/pull pot or switch. If you are getting hum then consider a pickup set where the middle pickup is reversed for hum cancelling.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

So that's why they reverse the middle pickup.

I honestly don't know if it's getting hum because the pickups are so bad. hmm
Think of the sound effects on one of the SNES/Mega Drive games and that's how the pickups sound. yikes

Dimarzio and Seymour duncan both have great websites that include lots of wiring diagrams and sound samples...even if you don't buy their products, you can find lots of information that might help. The diagrams include different combinations for the various guitars and include all sorts of switching and coil tap arrangements. Hope this helps...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hum can be lessened with screening. Do your pickup wires have little braided cuffs round them, are the body cavities lined with copper tape/paint? Doing these things cuts down on hum getting in. The copper tape can be bought and applying it just takes a steady hand.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Tibernius, as far as I can understand, you can change them by a H-S-H combination? What should be the result if you put PRS pick-ups, like on a PRS 513? If you have some pick-ups, you can change or switch from DiMarzio, Lindy Fralin, Noiseless Fender's, even Gibson's.
If I had the opportunity to build a guitar, I think I should try 3 different pick-ups.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyle.asp
http://www.torresengineering.com/dunstratrepp.html
http://www.wdmusic.com/strat_replacemen … 27_ctg.htm
http://www.axiomatic-music.co.uk/acatal … tions.html

Here some websites.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Thanks for the links Doc. smile

cytania wrote:

Hum can be lessened with screening. Do your pickup wires have little braided cuffs round them, are the body cavities lined with copper tape/paint? Doing these things cuts down on hum getting in. The copper tape can be bought and applying it just takes a steady hand.

No cuffs on the pickup wires.
No tape/paint in the cavities.

The pickups are 5.2k neck and middle and 5.3k bridge, so I reckon they need replacing before I'll be able to get a decent tone out of it. I've done all the setup again yesterday using the fender guide, I've just got to see how it sounds. hmm

I'm curious...what pickups are you using now?

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

9 (edited by Tibernius 2008-03-25 15:20:01)

Stock strat-style pickups, 5.2k neck and middle, 5.3k bridge. Around the same quality as Squier pickups. hmm They came with the kit and I haven't got round to changing them.

Sorry for dragging this thread up again, but I need some more advice about strat pickups.

I've decided against the Kent Armstrong pickups for now. I don't think the rest of the guitar would be the same quality, so it seems a bit of a waste putting good pickups in it.

I've had a look and I'd be best off ordering some GFS pickups, even with the postage and Import VAT it's still cheaper than the other sets I've been looking at.

The main thing is I'm not sure which set of pickups to go with. Bootleger mentioned that the current pickups don't sound right because they were low K (5.3k, 5.2k, 5.2k), how many Ks should the pickups be? hmm

I'd buy the "Boston Blues Alnico Texas Wound" set but the middle pickup is 5.5k and the neck is 5.2k, and it seems a little low. The other choice would be the "1960s Repro Overwound Alnico" set.

Any advice?

I've got a Mexican Strat and when I first got it (used at a guitar show) I decided to upgrade and ordered a pre-wired pickguard with pickups from Carvin. Installed that and love the Carvin AP-11 pickups... recently I changed out the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan JBjr single coil size. This has really made this strat into a great sounding and versatile guitar. The Carvin APs have a great sound and will "dirty up" as you roll up the volume knob. Might check with Carving at    www.carvin.com   and see if they might interest you.

Tibernius wrote:

Sorry for dragging this thread up again, but I need some more advice about strat pickups.

I've decided against the Kent Armstrong pickups for now. I don't think the rest of the guitar would be the same quality, so it seems a bit of a waste putting good pickups in it.

I've had a look and I'd be best off ordering some GFS pickups, even with the postage and Import VAT it's still cheaper than the other sets I've been looking at.

The main thing is I'm not sure which set of pickups to go with. Bootleger mentioned that the current pickups don't sound right because they were low K (5.3k, 5.2k, 5.2k), how many Ks should the pickups be? hmm

I'd buy the "Boston Blues Alnico Texas Wound" set but the middle pickup is 5.5k and the neck is 5.2k, and it seems a little low. The other choice would be the "1960s Repro Overwound Alnico" set.

Any advice?

It's not that they don't sound right because of the low "k" value it is the out put of the pickups your talking volkeswagen beatle versus Mr Enzo Ferrari. The higher the "k" value the more output. Check out the GFS texas overwounds (I67 I believe) and or the 70's grey bottom also overwound (I66) I have a set of these. As you also mentioned they are affordable around $70.00 american.

Bootlegger.

bootleger wrote:

It's not that they don't sound right because of the low "k" value it is the out put of the pickups your talking volkeswagen beatle versus Mr Enzo Ferrari. The higher the "k" value the more output. Check out the GFS texas overwounds (I67 I believe) and or the 70's grey bottom also overwound (I66) I have a set of these. As you also mentioned they are affordable around $70.00 american.

Bootlegger.

So the K value is only for the power, but if the Neck and Middle pickups have the same value you don't get the same sound if you use both at once?
It was 5.2k, 5.2k, 5.3k on the stock ones and positions 2 and 4 didn't sound right. hmm

Tibernius wrote:
bootleger wrote:

Bootlegger.

So the K value is only for the power, but if the Neck and Middle pickups have the same value you don't get the same sound if you use both at once?
It was 5.2k, 5.2k, 5.3k on the stock ones and positions 2 and 4 didn't sound right. hmm

No you don't, that is because in the 2 & 4 position they are reverse wound so you get the hum cancelling effect. The output will still be 5.2k but the tone will be as you noticed different.

Bootlegger.