Topic: CHEAP GIBSONS

I know, I asked already about the MELODY MAKER
What is the most "important factor" when you see or hear other "LOW-BUDGET" Gibsons
- NIGHTHAWK?
- JUNIOR?
- MELODY MAKER?

Sometimes you see 1 coil, 2 coils, even 3 coils, or a humbucker? Is there a Gibson "man" who can provide me the information please?
To make it more difficult is there an EPIPHONE model for these 3 guitars?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: CHEAP GIBSONS

Doc

I know everyone has different tastes, feel, etc in guitars ... this may not directly answer your question specifically but I know this; I went into GuitarCenter and wanted to see what the "buzz" was about concerning Gibsons (specifically Les Pauls) ... I picked up an Epiphone model (going with the cheaper option), went into the sound room and hooked it up ... I started playing it and wasn't exactly enthusiastic about it ... so I went and hooked up a Les Paul Studio and was completely blown away ... the feel was right ... the sound was right ... both were the same styles but there was something different with the Les Paul ... so I guess with part of your question, I'd have to say the "feel" has to be right for me ... 1st and foremost

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

There is an Epiphone jr. only $100. I got it about 3 years ago but changed the Humbucker.I do suggest Gibson. They are way better.

tongue:P:P:P:P

Hey Doc ,
  I'm no expert when it comes to Gibsons , but I have done some research as far as the Les Pauls go .
  If you're going to compare the Epi and the Gib Les Paul ,
don't use the $100 Epi . The guys I know who play this type of guitar , have played both the Gib and the Epi Les Paul standard and tell me , they would never put out the bucks for the Gib . I've also heard people say that the Epis aren't real Les Pauls .
Let us not forget ( unless all my research was incorrect ) ,
that when Les Paul developed
his first prototype ( the " Log " ) of what evolved into the modern Les Paul , he was working for Epiphone ..........

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

G S E wrote:

Hey Doc ,
  I'm no expert when it comes to Gibsons , but I have done some research as far as the Les Pauls go .
  If you're going to compare the Epi and the Gib Les Paul ,
don't use the $100 Epi . The guys I know who play this type of guitar , have played both the Gib and the Epi Les Paul standard and tell me , they would never put out the bucks for the Gib . I've also heard people say that the Epis aren't real Les Pauls .
Let us not forget ( unless all my research was incorrect ) ,
that when Les Paul developed
his first prototype ( the " Log " ) of what evolved into the modern Les Paul , he was working for Epiphone ..........

Correct.

However, Epiphone was not a Gibson factory second then like it is now. They were two seperate companies.

I still love my Epiphones. I have two now, and wouldn't trade them for any Gibson.

My next guitar will be a Gibson Les Paul Studio, though.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

SG

You'll LOVE the studio ... I play it more for every rock style including metal than I do my Schecter

It's sometimes a bit unfair to compare some of the low end Epiphone Les Pauls to the Gibson. Those are designed to get a decent guitar into someone's hands at the lowest price. Many of the mid and higher end Epiphone Les Pauls are second to none! Excellent sound, finish, workmanship, and a reasonable price. Epiphone has many versions of the Gibson models but not aware of a Melody Maker, Nighthawk, or Junior.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hey Jay ,
   My point exactly .
   Thank you..........., Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Tim0473 wrote:

SG

You'll LOVE the studio ... I play it more for every rock style including metal than I do my Schecter

I played one and fell in love-I'm lost now, I must have one.

After that it's a Schecter baritone big_smile

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

10 (edited by Tim0473 2008-03-31 18:56:19)

I knew you'd love it smile  But I will say this, opt for another color other than white and alpine white (the latter I have) ... It looks beautiful yes, but the white pics up scuff marks, etc rather easy ... but it does give it the "I'm being used" look wink

Also, nice choice on the Schecter baritone ... I bought an Omen this weekend since I got tired of the headache of tuning my Hellraiser FR ... it was toss up between the Omen and the PRS SE ... but the sound on the Omen suited my style more ... but I will say that my next purchase further on down the line will be the PRS SE

Think I'm gonna get a dark color, maybe the wine. My SG is white, and impossible to keep clean.

-Jimi Hendrix.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom ; Has anyone played this guitar before? I am looking at purchasing this one soon and just looking for some feedback.
This Les Paul has a mahogany body and alder top. Body, neck, and headstock binding. 2 volume and 2 tone controls with a 3-way toggle switch. 2 humbucker pickups, gold hardware, set mahogany neck, and a rosewood fingerboard with block inlays. I prefer the classic look of the LP custom than that of the G-400. What’s the difference between two or three humbuckers? 3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

3CF wrote:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom ; Has anyone played this guitar before? I am looking at purchasing this one soon and just looking for some feedback.
This Les Paul has a mahogany body and alder top. Body, neck, and headstock binding. 2 volume and 2 tone controls with a 3-way toggle switch. 2 humbucker pickups, gold hardware, set mahogany neck, and a rosewood fingerboard with block inlays. I prefer the classic look of the LP custom than that of the G-400. What’s the difference between two or three humbuckers? 3CF

I can say enough about Michael Kelly Guitars. WWW.michaelkelly.com.

Bootlegger.

I have played alot of epiphone guitars but not that model.The ones I have played I think are excellant for thier price range.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks.

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

It looks like I am going to go with the Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 Custom. It 's a SG.  No cash for the Gib yet but in need to play out now. To buy or not to Buy....that is the question. 3CF

Henry Van Dyke

3CF wrote:

My niece had one for a while but was not happy with it. She eventually moved up to a Gibson SG.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

gnomefry, about what you wrote:
There is an Epiphone jr. only $100. I got it about 3 years ago but changed the Humbucker.I do suggest Gibson. They are way better. I played a few epiphones in my music store, the junior included. The sound was great, and it was the cheapest guitar.
And JAYGORDON you write the truth. Most of us are  GIBSON lovers or FENDER lovers.
I can give you only one CRITIC. = If you see the prices of LOW PRICED Gibsons, like 350$ to 900$, there profit must be huge. I think GIBSON had to do something, loosing customers buying a schecter, a fender..., and NO epiphones.
If you perform live on stage, even at home (I live in the center of my village, on a parking plot, with only 2 houses.) So I am able to turn the volume very high, you would have difficulties to hear the difference, even more using all kind of effects. Put a sticker on the name but show the typical custom headstock, and play in front of 100 people, who judge the GUITAR (NOT THE PLAYER), tone, sound...you would be surprised counting the votes. Same with a FENDER MIM, and a FENDER MIA.
Epiphone is a damned good brand. WITHOUT changing the humbuckers.

ABOUT COMPARING A LES PAUL CUSTOM, EPIPHONE OR GIBSON, go to youtube and compare, this gives you a pretty good idea. In my physical condition, (getting worse, month after month) it is sometimes difficult to go to a store and play + compare. 10 days ago I had the opportunity to play on a PRS DRAGON (90% is not allowed to play on this guitar, too expensive.) and finally I didn't play due to the pain.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]