Topic: Understanding Guitar chords

Im new to playing and am trying to read your chords which im doing quite well except on the song Take good care of my baby, by the Beatles i dont understand the chord (Gaud) other chords also crop up on the song sheets that have no diagram for them on the right hand side can you help

cheers Albertocheets

Re: Understanding Guitar chords

albertocheets,
Gaud             Eaud
  (X)                 (X)
  (4)                 (1)
  (0)                 (1)
  (1)                 (2)
  (2)                 (3)
  (3)                 (0)
Hope this helped

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Hello albertocheets & welcome to chordie!

Hmmm . . . maybe it's just a form of abbreviation I'm am unfamiliar with, but 'Gaud' or 'Eaud' does not compute.  I know of no chords commonly called 'aud' - however, there are 'aug' or augmented chords.

Going by the notes eagleeye5851 was kind enough to tab above, it seems the chords are 'Gaug' and 'Eaug' as in 'G augmented' and 'E augmented'.

An augmented chord has contains the Root, 3rd, and Augmented 5th (aka a flatted 6th) notes of the scale.  It is essentially a major chord (Root,3rd,5th) but with the 5th raised one semitone.

Anybody else have info on 'aud' - - - or is it just a typo for 'aug'?
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

The song "Take Good Care Of My Baby" was written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin and was first a hit for Bobby Vee in 1961. It was 17 years later, in 1978 when The Beatles cover version on the bootleg "Decca Tapes" album was released. OK enough of the history lesson.

I play it in F and there is certainly an Faug so in G there will be a Gaug but no other augmented chords. I believe that the 'aud' is a 'typo' from the author.

Albertocheets, welcome to Chordie, may I suggest that you also look at the Bobby Vee version of this song as you may find the chords have been worked out better there.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Sorry all
Im newer to playing than you think whats an augmented chord

Cheers Albertocheets

Hello again Albertocheets,
Sorry the explanation above did not satisfy.  Here is another angle on what an augmented chord is:
In the song you are learning, the chord progression is G - Gaug - C.
In this case the Gaug is used as a way of making the transition from G to C more 'interesting'.

Here are the notes in each chord:
G =       G B D
Gaug =  G B D#
C =        C E G

This series of chords has a nice chromatic (1/2 step) sequence (D, D#, E).
This little line of notes is subtle, but it makes for a very pleasing effect.
Augmented chords are often used like this.
Alone, augmented chords sound a little 'off', but used between 'regular' chords they work nicely.

As Roger Guppy pointed out, the song was originally composed by Carole King and Gerry Goffin.  These two composed mostly at the piano.  Consequently, they often use chords that may seem unusual to guitarists.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Thanks Starkville Mississippi USA
I get it now
have a good weekend
Albertocheets

Hi Albertocheets,

I have edited the Bobby Vee version to give you the correct chords and chord diagrams on: http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … 20246.html

It is in the original key of F but you can transpose it to suit your voice and the Faug is only in the intro.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"