Topic: Dead strings

hey  My name is Gus ..

and I would like to ask for  some tips in how to clean strings,,

when I don't use my guitars for a long period ,, even new strings loose there sound ,,

is there any way  to clean them?

any tips would be apreciated

Thanks in advance

Gus S.

Re: Dead strings

hay gus, idk how to clean atrings but i do no that when you first put new strings on your can give them a "message" and that is spose to kepp them in tune better. All u do is put your fingers on 1 side and your thum on the other side and squeese it while going up and down on the string. It sounds weird but it works.Really try it and if it doesnt tell me.

What do you say in the "message" ?

henryb wrote:

What do you say in the "message" ?

lol
he means "massage"

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Now thats funny!...I dont care who you are...

Believe it or not - ole time musicans would take all their strings off, roll them up neatly then placed them in a pot of boiling water. After boiling the strings they were allowed to dry then put back on their guitar.

Nela

I sometimes put a little rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth and wipe down the strings...there are some commercial products available too! I usually just change the strings frequently...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

My advice to you would be to buy elixir strings.  They are expensive, but worth every penny.  I live in Japan, and seldom go back home to the states, but the last time I did I played guitar with a buddy of mine, and was playing his guitar, and asked him what kind of strings he was using.  He laughed, and told me that those were the strings I put on his guitar the last time I was home 2 years ago.  They looked/played/felt fine. 
I started buying them when I bought my last guitar.  It came with them.  When I changed them I went with di adario phosphorous bronze (my former favorite).  The sound, and play of my guitar was noticeably diminished.  (no kidding)  The elixirs were bouncier, and more fun to play.  And they do last longer.