Topic: Taylor 710ce review??

I'm an acoustic guitar player who's been at it for about 10 years. I've been looking to buy a Taylor acoustic-electric, and my eye was immediately drawn to the Dreadnought shape, specifically the 710ce. I do a lot of strumming, and some picking, playing a lot of 60s & 70s acoustic music as well as country and folk from today. Is this shape/model a good choice for me?? I prefer to have a glossed back and sides, so thats why I'm looking at the upper models instead of the 1/2/3/or 4s. Does anyone have any recommendations about what guitar i should get?   

Thanks!

2 (edited by Ranger1964 2008-04-06 16:54:59)

Re: Taylor 710ce review??

I have an 810ce and really love it!  I fell in love with the Taylor sound with the first strum.  I'm now looking at a Martin HD28.  I'm drawn to that Martin low end.  The 810 will stay though!  I'm of the group that really appreciates both sounds, yet they sound so different.  There are so many great guitars out there.  Dreads are great for strumming and picking.  You will get a lot of this advice "play as many as you can, and buy the "one" that you fall in love with"  This is great advice.  Do you gig, or plug in?  If you do then, you need to try your guitars plugged in and see how they match your voice.  If you don't, just buy the one that sounds best to you.  If you look at Martin's, many don't come with electric pick-ups (many do) but don't let that hold you back because a good shop can install one.  A lot of the Martin/Taylor debate just comes down to personal sound preference.  My first love was a Taylor, but after playing a little while, I began to better appreciate the Martins.  Play, play, play!

Yee Haw

Re: Taylor 710ce review??

Good Advice,Ranger

I love the sound of the Taylors also,and their electronics are great.I refuse to fight brand wars, it comes down to personal preferance.

I don't own a Taylor but I probably will soon, I have a HD-28 and a Yairi ,both having their own sound. I really like the taylors on fingerpickin songs.Most of the Taylors I have played have been impressive.

Good Luck Wayne

Later, Wayne P