Topic: Buskers!!

I hope to go busking later this year and would like some advice, please, on what kind of cheap but reasonable quality equipment I can get?
Initially I will use an acoustic guitar, with Peavy portable amp. I would like to tape(?) my own backing and play this along with me singing and playing guitar at the same time!
I've seen a busker years ago,using a car battery for power,but don't know how to set it up......safely!I don't think an Afro would suit me really!
Thought about a cassette recorder for the backing?Not sure if this would give good quality?
Ideally the equipment would be compact,lightweight and hive a good sound!?
Any advice will be so greatfully recieved! Thankyou for reading this! Gill =)

Music is the 7th sense and the 8th colour of the rainbow!

Re: Buskers!!

Cheap sh**ty karaoke machines do the trick, although power is the problem, maybe busk outside a shop and pay them to use their electric?

The beauty of the karaoke machine is that you could plug your guitar into it instead of plugging in a mic.

Admin note:
** added to your sweary word

Hi specialkins,

Most buskers around here use a portable mini-disc player for backing tracks. It can be run off its own batteries and fed through an amp, it is easier to select which track you want to play than a tape player and they are not so susceptible to jumping through vibration like a CD player.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Someone has a mini-PA where your ipod just pops into the top...saw it in some catalogue somewhere, I'll try to find it.  I think the Mackie SRM 150 is a heck of a small PA--two channels, the whole thing goes right on your mic stand I think you can find them on line for $250ish. 
What about a Rolland micro cube amp? don't they run on a battery...I imagine they have an input for an ipod or something if you wanted some backing tracks.

For the ultimate portability while running to the next subway train stop, look at the fender amp can. It's very small and loud and has a rechargeable battery that lasts for 4 hours. Guitar and Mic inputs so you can plug in your guitar and MP3 player with backing tracks into separate volume and tone channels. I've had one for 10 years and the battery is still holding it's charge!

Having backing tracks will turn more people way from you than drawing them in. The kind of people that are gonna pay attention to a musician trying to earn some money will appreciate a pure musician doing what they do without pre-recorded aide. I personally ignore posers using backing tracks. Sorry if my comments offend anyone out there but I'm just tellin' it like it is from a true musicians viewpoint. I have been playing music professionally for 24 years and every note of music that has rang out of my speakers has been generated from my hands, mouth, or feet.(minus my break music) Pre-recorded music is an uneeded crutch that too many people today rely upon..............................Grab your acoustic guitar, open your case,(for tips$$$) and sing your souls' inner voice. If you mean what you sing, you'll get your just reward.

Give everything but up.

Totally agree with SouthPaw.
If you go raw, you'll likely to get the response from a passer by. Just keep practicing and the sound will come with the confidence.
Keep rockin'

H

grahamhawkins wrote:

Totally agree with SouthPaw.
If you go raw, you'll likely to get the response from a passer by. Just keep practicing and the sound will come with the confidence.
Keep rockin'

H

I agree! "Canned" music is a turn off for lots of people looking for a live performance...

One way if you need the extra backing is to get a Loop station and you can create your backing right there in front of your audience!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I agree with Southpaw, grahamhawkins and jaygorden up to a point as I prefer to see/hear buskers without backing, but what works depends entirely upon your audience.

Here in Portugal the buskers who attract the big crowds (and cash) are the ones with backing tracks. Although they sing and play live, additional instruments and sometimes voices are recorded. The lone singer with his guitar and possibly an amp with no backing rarely gets a look in I'm afraid and is now rarely seen.

So my suggestion would be to see what the successful buskers are doing at the venue you intend to play at and follow their lead.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

Here in Portugal the buskers who attract the big crowds (and cash) are the ones with backing tracks. Although they sing and play live, additional instruments and sometimes voices are recorded. The lone singer with his guitar and possibly an amp with no backing rarely gets a look in I'm afraid and is now rarely seen.

Roger

This is sad, very depressing. To think of a place that applauds a machine made product and ignores a human made product is, with all due respect Roger, a place that I'm gonna stay far away from.( not just the places in Portugal you mention but all places that adopt this philosophy) I'd have to keep on walking and set up shop in a place that appreciates a man/woman and his/her instrument. Long live the old school musicians who refuse to give in  to the sell-out attitudes and  disreguard for tradition. Call me old fashioned but I gotta carry the torch..............................Our  world out there is big enough and there's plenty enough space for both to co-exist, I choose to stay on the side of no pre-recorded music. The bottom line is this; it takes jobs from perfectly capable musicians. There's enough greed in the world( ie, religion and politics) lets keep music a safe place.....

Give everything but up.

i agree....when i am in the street i will tip a felow musicain
whetere they are good or weather thay are not soo good...
just as long as they are trying..anyone to get up there with
the courage with nothing backing you, not evan fellow rockers
then i aplude you!but not thoses kinda people who just add all this rubbish togethwer!

if you can learn bass in 15 minutes
then why do i play the guitar???
tongue