Topic: Backpacking Guitars

Hi all,
I am just getting into the acoustic guitar and am planning an extended backpacking trip in Central America next fall.  I don't own a guitar yet so I thought I might just buy a smaller backpacking one and use it as my one-and-only guitar.

Does anyone have any advice on a good one or about how much I should pay for a decent one?  I found an Apple Creek one on the Mountain Gear site for only $90 US.  But when I search online I find lots of other options and I don't know enough about how it will sound to move forward.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
boomcheekgirl, Winter Park, CO  USA

Re: Backpacking Guitars

i bought a Montana a few years ago for around $60, it was ok for a "beater" but very hard to keep in tune and after a few years the neck has started to come up. it is still fun to chord on though.  I would say the humidity down there will be very rough on one so i would stay cheap as possible.  Have fun and be safe down there.
Mark

Rock and Roll Never Dies,,, It just passes out for a while: George Thorogood

3 (edited by tbronaugh 2009-08-27 00:50:16)

I'll tell you I bought a "back packer" by Martin (which I always associated with quality) but the little thing just sounds like junk. Not just because of the lack of bass, but there is really no good treble either. So I would not recommend it. I don't know about any others. I will say that you can pick up a "junior" guitar, like for a child, made by Fender or some other fairly good guitar maker, and the sound is 100x better, costs less and takes up only a bit more room. Just a thought.

Have fun down there!

I made an error. It was not a backpacker by Martin, it was made by Washburn. Otherwise all the othe rinfo is correct

You  should check out musicans friend.com,they sell sevral backpack models in their catalogs. I would not spend too much money as you will be giving it a beating packing one around,

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

You might try looking while your down in Central America,  or if you go through Mexico.  I've heard you can get some great bargains on guitars there.

tbronaugh wrote:

I'll tell you I bought a "back packer" by Martin (which I always associated with quality) but the little thing just sounds like junk. Not just because of the lack of bass, but there is really no good treble either. So I would not recommend it. I don't know about any others. I will say that you can pick up a "junior" guitar, like for a child, made by Fender or some other fairly good guitar maker, and the sound is 100x better, costs less and takes up only a bit more room. Just a thought.

Have fun down there!

I would agree...Might consider a Baby Taylor...small size but great sound and very well built...might be more expense but definately better sound and less agravation! I haven't yet found any of the backpacker type guitars that I like...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I have a travelling guitar.
I got a baby ozrak. It is not bad in a bothy or a tent or small emclosed areas but if it is for playing outside and ye want people to hear you then do not get one of these.

My mate got himself a baby Yamaha guitar. It cost him about £40 ( my ozrak was £110)
His sounds louder than mine and looks more like a guitar but smaller.

But if you are walking and want a lightweght instrument then I would suggest to you to take up playing the uke. So it has not got the same sound as a guitar but it is great for strumming away and singing along to.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi boomcheekgirl - Welcome to Chordie!

I'll offer my 2 cents.

I recently purchased a Washburn Rover travel guitar, primarily for practice use while I am traveling for work and stuck in a hotel room. (the smaller one in the below link):

http://www.washburn.com/products/travel/index.aspx#

It serves it's purpose well, good action, full size neck, pretty quiet - great for practice in a hotel room. That said, I would never use it as my primary guitar. It is just too quiet compared to the sound you get from a full sized guitar. Another major drawback is the balance - you have to use a strap because all of the "backpack" guitars are inherently neck heavy due to their small body size. In a way that has actually helped me get used to playing stand up - but it isn't easy if you are not used to it.

Bottom Line - if I were looking for a small guitar to use as my primary guitar, I'd be looking at the 3/4 size (like a baby taylor) instead of a pure "backpacker". If you have the funds, I'd look into a CA Cargo - great reviews and virtually indestructible. Here's a link with discussion and photos on this new model:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru … p?t=122051

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

About the MARTIN BACKPACKER: TRUNAUGH WRITES
a "back packer" by Martin (which I always associated with quality) but the little thing just sounds like junk.
I have a backpacker since years, and I can't remind me that at that time a "baby guitar" was the talk of the town.
In fact, I never considered and will consider the Martin's backpacker as a guitar. It doesn't SOUND at all as a normal guitar should sound. The sound is very "strange", I love that backpacker, use it with an amp, and you get a special sound, mandolin/banjo/guitar mix.
I consider this as a nice instrument but not as a guitar. THE (VERY) NEGATIVE POINT + try to play it SITTING.
Today there are more choices, you have "small" baby guitars, "regular" baby guitars and "big" baby guitars, like Taylor, washburn
Excel 1/2 Size Acoustic Guitar, for kids, this phrase tells us enough: FOR KIDS. I think the best choices are the "regular" baby acoustic guitars. You can use them everywhere and the sound of some of them are great.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I second the uke suggestion. If you play baritone you won't even have to learn new chords.

[url]http://www.myspace.com/stevewaltherorchestra[/url]

I have to agree with jaygordon75.  I have the baby Martin, and it is a great little
guitar.  We have a trailer anc camp alot during the summer and because of the
laminated wood,  I have no problem with keeping it tuned.

Jim

Whatever you do, don't buy any of the crappy backpacker/travel guitars you see on ebay lol...

tongue
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle