Topic: Injury

Hello all. I have a question regarding injuries.  One of my fingers has a cut on it, and I was wondering what is the best way to proceed in playing guitar with something like this (wow.. kind of a silly question).

I don't want to stop practicing, yet it's really painful, and in fact I can barely use the finger at all (it's the index).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
anastasia

Re: Injury

Hi Anastasia,

I do not really think there is any thing you can do but rest it up until it is healed.

The only thing that might work, if the cut is not too bad, is to 'superglue' it as 'superglue' sticks skin better than anything else. Several thin coats might do the trick but for heavens sake make sure it is dry before you play. You do not want to become that attached to your guitar. lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Sounds to me like this would be a good time to practice open chord fingering without the Index finger:

Form a open E chord using your middle, ring and pinky fingers. Now you are on your way to playing barre chords.

Form a open G chord using your middle, ring and pinky fingers. See how easy this leads to a open C chord or a G7 chord or a D7 chord.

Practice making an open A chord by only using your ring finger as a barre. Now move the ring finger dawn 2 frets place your index finger on the 2nd fret in a barre position, You now have a double barre B chord.

Lots of ways to not have to use the tip of your index finger.

Nela

Hi Anastasia,

I was going to say what Roger just said.
Superglue was invented during the Vietnam war to glue skin together for a quick fix until they got to a better place.
Flea from the red hot chili peppers glued ( or maybe still does) his fingers before and during a gig as he played that hard his fingers bled.

But then he was getting paid loads ,lol.

I think you should rest it for a few days to be honest.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i can't recommend supergluing your fingers - if you know what youre doing fine - but its a harsh chemical and you will lose lots of skin if you accidently glue yourself to something

read a book on music theory while the cuts are healing

anastasiak112 wrote:

Hello all. I have a question regarding injuries.  One of my fingers has a cut on it, and I was wondering what is the best way to proceed in playing guitar with something like this (wow.. kind of a silly question).

I don't want to stop practicing, yet it's really painful, and in fact I can barely use the finger at all (it's the index).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
anastasia

glad someone mentioned injury - i got to sue myself for RSA - my left shoulder aches really bad after a few days playing and i have to rest it for 2 or 3 days . it never used to when i was younger - also the fingers on the left hand get tired more easy . i suppose its an injury ? anyone else suffer RSA because of instrument playing ? ( thinking about it - i remember nigel kennedy - violin player - has a great big callous under his neck )

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

I am glad to see this topic.  I thought i was the only one suffering from a guitar injury.  I have been so psyched to start learing some tunes that I think i came down with guitart elbow in my strumming hand.  I am fighting through it........  Anyone else ever had their elbow hurt from stumming?
Thanks,
P.J.

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW

yes Pj ME!!

I never realised it was my guitar playing that did this until someone told me.

I repositioned my right arm ( strumming arm) to what I normally played it like and found another comfortable postion. Now it doesnt hurt.
I had this pain for about 6 months, it was not nice. I had it all day. When I picked things up it hurt, when i played it hurt.
Now I just got a sore kneee but that has nothing to do with the guitar lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Kilt,
I echo everything you are saying.  I only have 5 more months to feel better.  Glad I am not alone........ LOL

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW

Since my day gig is programming, I am fighting carpal tunnel in my fret hand.   The numbness is really annoying and I never realized how much feel I need to play.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Wow... thanks everyone. I have opted to try different fingering in the meantime (thanks Nela) and forego the crazy glue.  smile

Happy recovery to everyone who has become injured while reading this post, or otherwise!!

anastasia

Not necessarily an injury, but having posted about my boobs getting in the way, I was pondering how amazon warrior women used to cut theirs off in order to be able to wield a bow and arrow... not something I am considering by any means, but I have to admit to getting all sorts of back and shoulder aches due to my strange contortions trying to get into a position where I can play comfortably. It's good to know I am not the only one, in the nicest possible way :-)

Without art we are but monkeys with car keys.

Lunamoon - Now I see you have back ache - I can tell you from experience you will only get worse until you get in to a better position - not only chose a holdable guitar, but sit on a decent high chair and maybe use a footstool to raise your knee - don't hunch over the guitar sitting on the sofa! It can't be good for your playing either.

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

14 (edited by NELA 2008-04-12 17:23:44)

Lunamoon

Not trying to be a smarta** or anything but I would like to help you with your boobs. I have been an admirer of boobs all my life and like them in all shapes and sizes. Just the other day I was reading some posts - either on the Acoustic Guitar Forum or the  13th fret when I came across a post with kinda the same problem. It seems as though there are some custom guitar builders out there who actually make guitars with "cutouts" in the back of their guitars just for boobs. Nice, huh? Don't know how someone would get "fitted" for this or just how the measurement would be taken but it could be worth a shot. If you need help in taking the measurements you can contact me by making a post here and I'll help. One thing the post did mention, though, was that it was not recommended to play a lotta low base notes as it could lead to other problems. These problems were not described so I guess a little research is in order.................................

Nela

Hi Nela,
That's certainly an interesting idea... though I am not sure what the problem with the base notes would be, whether that is an issue with the guitar or the boobs!
I would be interested to know the name of a company if possible.
I am in the UK, so that make have a bearing on things, as quite often these companies are based in America.... I would imagine big boobs are more common there too!
Cheers

Lunamoon

Lunamoon, I live in the US (Louisiana) so it would be a far reach for me just to get a "handle" on your problem(s). I believe the post I read concerning this was on the 13th fret website, so check there. (I'll check too) Not sure as to how far I could help you without actually "seeing" your problem but I will be giving them a lotta thought. As to the problem with the cutouts, the boobs and a whole lotta repeated low base note I would imagine it could cause a shortness of breath or maybe your toes to curl up. (maybe both) Anyway, just "hang in there" and let me think some more about your problems.

Nela

upyerkilt wrote:

Hi Anastasia,

I was going to say what Roger just said.
Superglue was invented during the Vietnam war to glue skin together for a quick fix until they got to a better place.
Flea from the red hot chili peppers glued ( or maybe still does) his fingers before and during a gig as he played that hard his fingers bled.

But then he was getting paid loads ,lol.

I think you should rest it for a few days to be honest.

Ken

hey ken......
i feel his pain...
i have played untill i have blepp...
sadly i had to stop to get a bandade...
because the idea of a blood covered strings...
was not great

if you can learn bass in 15 minutes
then why do i play the guitar???
tongue

tonydr, I've had that problem for a while now--try ice, or frozen veggies (I prefer corn), after a long practice session And I got a brace at a drug store and wear that a lot--even at night.  I wake up a couple times a night with my hand falling asleep--thumb, index finger and that half of my hand, but with the brace, no problems.  Good 'ol Tylenol helps too.  When it gets real bad, I try to stay away from barre chords for a few days.

I didnt cut my finger, but just about broke the middle and ring finger of left hand 1 week before getting my guitar, could barely bend them but was so excited to play that I just gritted my teeth and kept on playing.  It's been 5 months and there is still some pain, but at lease the calluses are there on the ends.

I like the superglue idea, have used it many times for splits in my fingers during the winter and hangnails.

I am wondering whether my current shoulder woes have been exacerbated by guitar playing.  They are surely not CAUSED by guitar playing as it has been a lifetime of abuse to get me to this situation.  Nevertheless, when I go to buy my next guitar, it will likely be an orchestra or parlor sized body rather than a dreadnaught.

As far as fingers, I did a number on the ring finger of my left hand once bad enough that I couldn't use it to push a string for six months.  I wasn't playing guitar then, but was playing bass in a band.  I just used other fingers to fret whatever I'd have fretted with the ring finger.  It was an odd learning curve but worked out to give me more options when playing than I had before.  For instance, I would often fret an E by using the second fret of the D string, but began to fret the seventh fret of the A string instead.  I learned a lot about my fretboard, which is always useful.

Now, that bad break on that finger is coming back to haunt me because it doesn't bend backwards to allow me to fret a B chord, I wind up getting the high E as well as the other three strings I'm supposed to get, which sounds simply awful.  If I could figure out how to just MUTE the high E rather than fret it, I'd be there.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It looks like injurys ( though self inflicted ) are more of a problem than one would have thought .  As i have said before - the only good thing to come out of it is to realise that as an individual playing the instrument you are not the only one suffering from one form of pain or the other .  I would have put the pain in the finger tips as a normal expected  pain - but shoulder pains and back pains ? .  All i can say is that at least we know that it a common problem, and perhaps trying a different posture knowing that the future of playing depends on it may help . I wonder how many players have suffered , thinking they were the only ones with problems ? .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi Anastasia,

I do not really think there is any thing you can do but rest it up until it is healed.

The only thing that might work, if the cut is not too bad, is to 'superglue' it as 'superglue' sticks skin better than anything else. Several thin coats might do the trick but for heavens sake make sure it is dry before you play. You do not want to become that attached to your guitar. lol

Roger

Super glue is toxic to your system don't use it.  there is this stuff at the drugstore called liquid bandage. i cut myself playing a few weeks back. if the cut isn't too bad then use that. it will sting like heck but when the first coat dries use a second(according to the instructions). then you can play get some practice in. it helps it heal alot faster.

oh and i forgot to add that super glue was invented to be used for plastic gun sights in WW2 but it was too sticky.  the super glue used to stitch flesh together today is medical grade. without the chemicals that are bad for the body.

25Frankster wrote:

tonydr, I've had that problem for a while now--try ice, or frozen veggies (I prefer corn), after a long practice session And I got a brace at a drug store and wear that a lot--even at night.  I wake up a couple times a night with my hand falling asleep--thumb, index finger and that half of my hand, but with the brace, no problems.  Good 'ol Tylenol helps too.  When it gets real bad, I try to stay away from barre chords for a few days.

I wear the wrist splint to sleep too and it keeps it from waking me up. It will go numb during and extended playing session, an hour or more and it is really annoying.  I'll try the ice, or maybe just keep my glass of scotch chilled while I'm playing smile  Of course, by the 4th or 5th Laphroig I can barely tell I'm still playing, never mind the numbness.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

If anyone is looking for wrist splints I would suggest looking at http://www.wristeasy.co.uk/ they make a really good zip up splint which looks much nicer than the 'surgical looking' type. 
There is a UK and a US ordering page link.
To order it is necessary to measure your wrist (left, right, or both if required, as described on the site, to get the correct size) There is also a choice of color.
I have a connective tissue disorder which means I often need to splint various joints, including my wrists, and a lot of people from an online community who folk who have this disorder (including myself) use this type of splint, as it is one of the most comfortable and effective to wear.