Topic: THE FASTEST SOLO GUITARISTS = The Speedy GONZALEZES

I don't think, no I'm sure we all had topics about the best solo, best  solo guitaristetc..
But who is the FASTEST player. I saw some DVD'S and heard some CD'S, and my opinion =
1) Michael Angelo
2) Yngwie Malmsteen
3) Petrucci
This is all about speed, and it is sometimes, especially on music store rebates that you are overwhelmed and like to escape from that store, all those YOUNGSTERS, competing, "oh that dude plays fast, but I can play faster" mentality.

In fact about MALMSTEEN, what I like is that he is able to play great "classic" music, Beethoven, Mozart.
WHERE ARE THE REAL SOLO-GUITAR PLAYERS. They don't make them I think, like PAGE, HENDRIX, VAN HALEN, these where inventive, creative solos IN FUNCTION OF THE BAND.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: THE FASTEST SOLO GUITARISTS = The Speedy GONZALEZES

Judging on speed alone, Herman Li is the fastest player I've seen, but Eric Johnson can play just about as fast, and I like his style and sound a lot better.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

i play the fastest guitar ever

Angus young whold give them all a run for there money!

if you can learn bass in 15 minutes
then why do i play the guitar???
tongue

guitarguy5798 wrote:

modest, arent you?
got any vids? tongue

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

yea i would like to see a video of "the flash" myself, but it aint how many notes you can play that impress but the notes themselves. you can play a gazillion notes per second and still not play anything that makes any sense speed ALWAYS takes a back seat to quality 

(0)==#paranormal guitar wrote:
guitarguy5798 wrote:

modest, arent you?
got any vids? tongue

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'd rather hear a nice little flurry of expressive notes from King, Clapton, SRV, Gibbons, than a jillion per second notes from a Malmsteen!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Shawn Lane.  Not only fast, but melodic as well.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

if we're talking pure speed, would we not have to include kirk hammett, eddie van halen, and joe satriani?  (yeah, I grew up in the 80's))

Yngwie Malmsteen uses a scalloped fret board to achieve his lightning fast technigue,  IMHO this gives him a god awful tone. 
I prefer musicians who play with out gimmicks,  who put their solos in the content of a song to express a greater meaning or feeling, not those who use pieces simply to show off.

11 (edited by geoaguiar 2008-04-15 19:42:53)

mixter102 wrote:

Yngwie Malmsteen uses a scalloped fret board to achieve his lightning fast technigue,  IMHO this gives him a god awful tone. 
I prefer musicians who play with out gimmicks,  who put their solos in the content of a song to express a greater meaning or feeling, not those who use pieces simply to show off.

Well Said!!!!!!!! exactly. Who cares how fast...how does it sound. Does it move you? This is all that's important

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Randy Rhoads.  That guy could play.

Speedwise: Malmsteen, Buckethead, and Herman Li are all up there at the top.  Herman Li can't seem to play very well live, though.

My guitars: Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony and Ibanez AE40 TEL acoustic.
My equipment: Peavey 100w combo (198?) and an ancient (1970's?) Crate 100w combo. A PODxt.

Actually if you check the latest edition of Guitar World they did a big section on this very topic ...

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Tim0473 wrote:

Actually if you check the latest edition of Guitar World they did a big section on this very topic ...

Well, it' more appropriate to say they stole it.  The guy that developed that list, and the "NPS" study posts over on another board I frequent (Google "Memphis Monster").  He doesn't mind.

And who was up there at #1?

Mr.  Shawn Lane.

I didnt even know who Shawn Lane was

Tim0473 wrote:

I didnt even know who Shawn Lane was

Most people have never heard of him.  It is one of the great tragedies of the age.

I think I'll have to YouTube him

eddie van halen is fast
and bucket head maybe faster
tongue

if you can learn bass in 15 minutes
then why do i play the guitar???
tongue

Oh, and Jerome I checked him out ... good God that boy could play!  You look at him at think, this guy plays guitar?  And THAT fast?  And THAT good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC4qhD8B … re=related well I think he's got more going  for him then just speed, malmsteen displays a little more ego then shawn but I watched several of both of there videos its hard to say who's faster there both damm quick and there use of the various modes and overall knowledge of music is equally impressive I would say its a tie as far a speed go's they seem to excel whatever there playing

"Growing old is not for sissies"

The guitarist out of BFMV
i dont know what one plays the solos:S
and Synester Gates
he rules:D

I like cheese:P
               And Paramore:cool:
               And my guitar:D