Topic: NO GIBSON, FENDER, EPIPHONE

I noticed that most of the discussions are about GIBSON, EPIPHONE, FENDER.
What about other brands?
Bootlegers choice is Michael Kelly.
I looked on www.musiciansfriend.com and yes there they are.
Michael Kelly Patriot Phoenix Electric Guitar (Lava Red) with a price = $399.99 - $449.99.
CUSTOMERS RATING = 5 STARS.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=512293

THIS TOPIC = A list of guitars, some are well known, others not. I made this topic because in our ever lasting battle, we speak about 2 BRANDS = GIBSON/EPIPHONE
and FENDER/MIA, MIM, SQUIER, and not much information about guitars here in this list.
- WHAT ABOUT:
- GRETSCH? I never read comments or discussions. Is GRETSCH (now Fender).
Where is the GRETSCH produced? In the USA, or in Korea, China, maybe better if I say the same factory where squiers are build?
If you have the vintage book with prices, a WHITE PENGUIN = 100.000$ (for an old model). The PENGUIN is still produced, ARE THE TODAY'S PENGUINS, constructed exactly as their ancesters?
A WHITE FALCON = 3000$ see www.musiciansfriend.com ?!
- ESP
- PARKER
- JACKSON
- HAMER
- SCHECTER
- MICHAEL KELLY
- ARROW
- TOKAI
- PRS
- ORVILLE = their seemed to be 2 different guitars: ORVILLE, and ORVILLE BY GIBSON, the last  one is equipped with PAF's ???? and the prices are between 1100-1400$, and I believe the EPIPHONE production started there. If you have an uncle who has an orville on his attic:$$$$
- HERITAGE = guitars made by former GIBSON guitar builders, who wouldn't or couldn't move, because of different reasons. Most family reasons.
- RICHWOOD (a lot of people on other forums refer to this guitar.
This is only a fistful brands, there are so much more decent, guitars.
Except from PRS (MY HOUSE BRAND) all these other guitars are unknown for me. That's the reason of this topic: to know if some of you can tell mr more.
THANKS A LOT

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by acmecorp 2008-04-23 15:36:52)

Re: NO GIBSON, FENDER, EPIPHONE

I play a Gretsch 6120  (very nice) , The decent ones (£2000 +) are made in Japan.

The really expensive custom built ones are still made in the USA, I believe.
And as far as I know the company is now owned by Fender.

cheers

David

From what I've read:

Tokai are good guitars, as long as you can get one from the 70s/80s when they were making better Strats than Fender! lol

There's also Fernandes, which are made in Japan and are just as good in terms of sound as a Gibson/Fender.

I play the majority of my stuff on my Les Paul ... my other two guitars are my Schecters (Hellraiser C-1 FR and Omen-6)

Schecters run anywhere from $300 - $800 ... they're geared more to the Metal/Heavy Rock tones ... they come with EMG humbuckers which sound great ... on my Omen-6 they come with the Seymour Duncan's but I prefer the EMG's ... the only negative I've seen so far is the balance ... they tend to be a little head-heavy (especially the Omen-6, not so much on the Hellraiser) ... the actions are very fast on both guitars ... they're made in Korea but assembled in the U.S. ... the craftsmanship on it is top notch ... especially on the Hellraiser ... the flamed maple top is beautiful to say the least ... the pearl gothic cross inlays on the rosewood fret board are beautiful

I did try the PRS SE at GuitarCenter and it was awesome ... the balance was perfect ... sound; beautiful ... and a great price for under $500 ... that's my next purchase later on

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I hope to buy a top line PRS this year and hopefully get Mr Smith to sign it...talked to him the other day at the Dallas guitar show...Really a great guy and player!

Also lusting for a Gretch 6120...I'm convinced that the Japan made ones are even better than the previously US built Gretch...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I had a washburn. It played well but I recently broke it on my front porch.

tongue:P:P:P:P

7 (edited by cytania 2008-04-24 12:36:20)

Each manufacturer has their own history of quality highs and lows, build changes etc.

Gretsch spent alot of the 50s/60s innovating (or ruining depending on your view) their classic designs. In the 90s they tried to recreate their heyday but created strange 'a part from every year' hybrids, only recently have they gotten designs that directly compare with the classic years. Now all these instruments sound 'Gretsch'y it's just a case of how you like them. But certainly you could collect what several of what are called gretsch 6120s and find yourself with some very different feeling and sounding guitars.

Tibernius, quality with Tokai's has never really dropped, nothing special about the 70s/80s ones.

Think Schecter must be marketing itself bigtime as I've seen lots just recently, they were an uncommon brand in the UK but in a shop I went to yesterday they had as much of the rack as PRS. I'd say Gibson is the brand losing out, sure they have the historic mojo but I don't see them hanging up in long lines for sale.

I'm tempted by a Washburn so I can try their BF tuning system (does it really sound sweeter?) but they haven't sent me the catalogue I asked for and the website is confusing (that or they've had a recent big model overhaul).

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

cytania wrote:

Tibernius, quality with Tokai's has never really dropped, nothing special about the 70s/80s ones.

As I said, I was only going with what I'd read about them, which is that the 70s/80s strats were some of the best guitars available at the time.
Good to know that the modern ones are good, especially since they're one of the few companies that still make Firebird copies.

SOOOO... How 'bout them fenders!?

'Good to know that the modern ones are good, especially since they're one of the few companies that still make Firebird copies.'

It's the kind of quality that seduces you even when you aren't looking for a guitar. You pick it up and say 'ooh this is nice, plays good too' then look at the headstock and go 'oh yeah, Tokai!'. Can't trust myself round them as I shouldn't be buying any more guitars ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'