Topic: v-amp

I was thinking of getting it but would I need to get another cable? Im a noob to effects so what would I need? I have a strat runnin to a peavey envoy110 so idk please help

Re: v-amp

I'm not sure what you are asking but will be glad to help. Strat into an Envoy 110 is a great start and actually a very versatile rig...just play and keep playing. Depending on what sort of music you like then you might add a Distortion pedal...tons to choose from and are usually fairly affordable. You can get everything from a mild overdriven sound to a bluesy snarl to full blown metal scream. A chorus pedal can add a richness to your sound and a delay can help on lot of solo stuff. Try logging onto    www.bossus.com   for lots of information about pedals and effects. In our area we have Guitar Center music stores that will have lots of pedals linked togather so that you can try them out to see what works best for you.  There are some multi effects pedals ( I use a Zoom 505) that are usually under $100 that will have lots of effects built in...my try that also...   Hope this helps...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

deaken,
I recognize your message title: You're talking about a Behringer V-Amp..effects device? There is also a Behringer amp, called the V-Amp...it has effects built in

A friend of mine has a blue, funny-shaped Behringer V-Amp multi-effects device, and I've played with it a little. It sounds mostly good (not every setting), is cheap, and seems reliable. I say, you can't go wrong with a V-Amp, but you might want to read a few more reviews. You're asking about a cable: yes you will need another guitar cable: One cable goes from the guitar into the V-Amp, and a second cable from the V-Amp into your amp. A simple, short guitar cable will do.

In my opinion, Behringer products are affordable and have a tendency to break easy, but the V-Amp has been on the market for years. Their mixers suck -I have bought three of them, two broke, then I got a nice large Behringer mixer that seems to have a lot more reliable electronics. The V-Amp effects box should give you tons of fun at a small price...

Play On!

4 (edited by cytania 2008-04-24 12:07:54)

Hi Deaken, I have a Behringer V-Amp 2 and a fine little box it is too. It's one of 3 products all using the same amp modelling technology. There's the Behringer Vampire amplifier which is similar to Line6's Spider series, there's a rack mount version of the Vamp2 and then there's the little blue plastic guitar shaped pod I have (similar to Line6's red bean shaped units). It can be used as an effects box by putting the amp dial at 12 o'clock which is 'tube preamp' or if you hold the tap key and dial 12 it has no persoanlity other than the effects you select. It scores for using 'dials' which makes playing with effects easy. Line6's 3 series gives a better readout of what preset you have and their site has lots of user generated settings, but I've gravitated to making my own sound from basic amps and effects I like. A real education in what amps do before you even buy a proper one.

Most of the time I plug headphones into it's speaker emulated socket. That means it sounds just like the full rig and the reverbs are so good you almost feel you are in a big hall with a stack. You can also use it for home recording as a 'DI' box. I have tried it into various amps (which does need a spare cable) and the results are mixed. Sending a highly tweaked preset can be awful but working with the dials with the less extreme amps and standard effects can be better than many cheapo pedals. Great thing again is it allows you to experiment. For a few hours I'm convinced that Leslie is the greatest effect ever, then I come back and realise it sucks, that's just one silly pedal I didn't end up buying :-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

PS. When I say DI box I mean using regular jacks, mini-jacks or jack to phono cables. A real DI box you might use in a live situation needs an XLR output that you only get on the Line6 X3 pod, but it is  very rare for guitarists to play DI-ed.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

ok thanks guys