Topic: What acoustic guitar is considered as the best?

It is maybe a so called "personal choice topic", but I wanted to see how MORE THAN ONE magazine, testing guitars concludes.
What I heard is that there isn't THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE, between HIGH priced guitars like Martin, Gibson, Taylor.
They use almost the same wood, and when you "see" them in action, and for sure when you play Electro-Acoustic guitar, using an acoustic amp, the sounds are very close.

About electric guitars, if you use a 100W amp, and floorboards with all kind of effects, will you hear a lot of difference between a WESLEY Les Paul style,  Epiphone or Gibson. PLAYING with volume very loud, using heavy effects?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: What acoustic guitar is considered as the best?

There may not be that much difference in the woods but there is a difference in construction techniques and a significant difference in tonal quality (although my frame of reference is unplugged only).  There is some anti-Gibson (acoustic) sentiment out there today.  There is a perception that that they have a lot of sales based on advertising and endorsements of stars.  BUT, there are MANY players who swear by the Gibson Jumbos.  I think that you hit the nail on the head when you said a lot of it is personal preference.

Yee Haw

Hi Phil, one of the miraculous things about electro-acoustics is that they can sound much nicer amplified right than played natural. Those Piezos can make a mid-price instrument sound like something twice the price.

When you get to several thousand euros in price all the makers have a decent offering and there are many fine small makers like George Lowden. It all depends on the sound you want. Lowden guitars have a 'celtic' folk tone. Gibsons have that sixties/Beatles vibe. You need to listen and decide...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

The "best" is all in the hands of the beholder. It's impossible to answer this question definitevely. Me personally, the finest acoustic guitar I've ever played and/or owned is my 2005 Gibson J-45. It's everything and more I seek in an acoustic guitar. Tone, ease of play, staying in tune, feel,are all top of the line with this guitar. I've played many various Martins and Taylors but none that my hands have touched, thus far, match the overall quality of my J-45.

Give everything but up.

Thanks Southpaw, this is in fact the kind of answer I would like to see. I'll change the title. Having a lot of acoustics, it is still very difficult to choose. Martin HD-28, my first, is still pretty close to the best. Once you're dealing with Taylor, Martin, Santa Cruz, Gibson, they all end using the same wood the "bracings" are important, but the sound is really "similar." One of my favorite acoustics is the Martin D-15, dark brown, I had these two for some years, and my 28 was a "he", my 15 a "she", soft, crystal clear sound, great, but half as loud as my 28. In fact the best one should be D-45V, but I can't tell much, I need new strings (probably elixir). So even strings can change the sound of the same guitar almost 50%.
My, probably last acoustic will be the new PRS acoustic line, in production now, or soon, now still private collection. But (nasty to say this) € versus $, is worth a trip to the USA. If the price in the US = 12.000$ = €7500, but here in the store, = 12.000€. I'll contact you if....I have $$$$.
ELECTRIC GUITAR: BEST = PRS, fantastic sound, plays like butter, for me the best guitar.
BUT ALL THIS IS SUBJECTIVE. Also, I'm not a huge fan of electro-acoustics.
Yes, we all have our taste (if not, we should all fall in love with the same woman lol

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

a really great sounding acoustic is a Takamine. they have a nice tone, i have one.

I think a good guitar player has as much to do with the sound as the guitar.I have a friend that can make any guitar sound great,but for the style I play  I use my HD-28 the most,some times it makes the hair on my neck standup and that's a good thing.
I have a friend that has a 50's J-45 that has the most unique voice I have heard, hitting one chord you know it's him.It just has a great tone.

There are just too many good guitars out,to say one is better than the other.If it makes you feel good,play the hell out of it.It's personall preference,I belong to a Guitar Guild and we get together once a month,and it is fun to listen to the different guitars and how they sound.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

I can't speak much to the electro-acoustics, but the best feeling, best looking, best sounding acoustic guitar I've ever played was an early 70's model Martin D-28.  I've tried out a lot of Taylor's recently (no one in my area carries Gibson), and I find that I REALLY don't like the necks-- every one I tried was virtually identical, and just didn't feel good to my hands.  They sounded nice, but I sure wouldn't drop top dollar for one.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I got a Martin HD-28 2 months ago.  A real gem of a guitar! The sounds are incredible and sweet.  If you like volume, that is the guitar for you. I love it!

I agree with it's mostly a personal choice...I think all have a great sound but each will have it's own personality! Fit and finish...neck thickness and width...ease of tuning and playing...and just simply appealing looks!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

idk if there realy is a best but marlins (sorry about the spelling) are prety nice

Easy!  The one(s) you own.  I can't play any guitars hanging in the store, but I can play the guitars in my den. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

13 (edited by NELA 2008-04-25 14:05:45)

I think mine is the best one.

Mine's better than yooooourrrrrse.

Nela

If we're at your house NELA and I left my guitar at home, for the time being yours is definitely better than mine.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

i m a newbie but recently bought a lag..i d deffo recommend one to beginners who dont want to have to buy a 'better' guitar later....it sounds wonderful .. feels good to play ... everyone who hears it love it too...cant say fairer than that amigo

-------------------------------------------------------------------

personal taste is all fine and dandy, but in my quest of buying my last acoustic I found that nothing quite measured up to  a martin as far as sound quality

what a long strange trip it's been

I have a $499 Takamine, and a $299 Ibanez ... the very first acoustic I bought was Yamaha that they sold at the local NEX (Navy Exchange Store) ... it was a combo pack that cost $199 ... full-body acoustic ... no electronics ... no guitar strap mounts either ... Oddly my friend noticed this first ... whenever I play this particular acoustic, he says it sounds so much better than my other acoustics ... and I have to agree ... the cheapest guitar out of all of them sounds beautiful and much better than my other ones ... and with the Elixir Nano's on it it sounds beautiful

I guess price doesnt always mean the best ... sometimes even the cheapest guitar can sound better than a $1000+ guitar

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I'm all about the ovation

So Red Delicious

I have some  Takamines a Taylor and a Martin. These all sound reall good. It's the tone! Some are 6 string, and some are 12 strings. I gotta have several of each! LOL I have 12 guitars in total. I can sure tell the difference in a cheap guitar. The higher priced guitars play and sound much better than then lower priced counterparts! I'm buying all Taylors and Martins from now on! It's just what I like.

2007 Gibson Les Paul 2004 Gibson Les Paul 2008 Gibson Explorer
2006 Martin D12X1 1999 Martin OOC-16DB 2004 Taylor 414ce
2008 Gretsch G 5122,1977 F385 Takamine,1975 F310 Takamine
Peavey Valve King VK 212 Fender DEC Jr.

I played a Ventura last week....really the most surprising guitar I've picked up lately. It's made in China, probably by very small hands in a labor "Sweat" shop, but the dang thing had a great sound and volume.

I wouldn't trade my Ovation S771 for three of them, but I really was impressed. At about $300 I certainly would recommend them to any beginner. I'm gonna get one just to play on with my special tunings.

$0.02
dw

Yeah, I said my dog doesn't bite, but that's not my dog.

Just play and enjoy the sound of your guitar! The most important thing is that your guitar is nicely tuned up smile

(A)                 (C#)     (D-barrè)                  (Cm#)(Bm)
Stand by your guitar, and tell the world you love it!

22 (edited by bigdjindustriez 2008-05-11 11:18:11)

This is very simple.  THE bluegrass guitar is a Martin, usually a D-28, or a D-45.  One of the most used and best acoustic blues guitars is a Gibson J45.  Alot of new "pop" artists and commercial country artists use Taylors.  However Takamine and Yamaha make some of the best stage guitars.  The answer is, the "best" guitar depends on what type of music you play.  To me however, Martin makes the overall finest guitars, which perform and sound exceptionally in all styles of music on stage or in the studio.  The Martin D-45 is made of 45 year old wood (hence the name), the same for every other guitar in the D series, as guitars sound better with age.  In effect, you're buying a new 45 year old instrument.  Most other companies do not use wood that's been aged for that long, and virtually all lower priced guitars are not made of solid wood.  Personally I own a rare Yamaha acou/elec that was mislabelled at the factory with a model number that doesn't even exist hah.  I Have played alot of Yamaha acoustic's, and they ALL sound exceptionally good to me, and the price can't be beat.  They look pretty nice cosmetically also.  However as with any other company, Yamaha makes handmade guitars in their "Chronos series" that go for about $2,000 - $3,000CAN, then they have their factory models which don't sound AS good but they do sound good from about $150.00 - $800.00.  The quality of the guitar does not depend on the price, it depends on tone, neck feel, projection and your personal comfort with the feel of the instrument.

DJ Cormier
[url=http://www.bigdjindustriez.tk]www.bigdjindustriez.tk[/url]
myspace.com/bigdjindustriez