Topic: What's the correct slide technique?

Hey, just wondering what is a correct way to use a slide, on my acoustic or my electric.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: What's the correct slide technique?

A so called "bottleneck", there are cylinders to put a finger inside, and you use that hand with that device and slide over strings.
The best result you will see in an open tuning. All you need to to is strum without putting your fingers to form a chord, and use your "bottleneck"' to slide.
There are quit a few open tunings, like in stead of placing your fingers on the frets to form an E-chord, you TUNE your guitar in a way resulting in an E-chord, and NO fingers, only a strum, gives you the same E-CHORD (see A, D, C..)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

The key to slide guitar is to think of the slide as a shark - if it ever stops moving, it dies.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

It is important to mute the strings behind the slide to get a smooth sound.  Try using a small slide on your ring finger or pinkie and drag the other fingers along the string this will get you a smoother sound.  Be subtle when engaging the slide and lifting it off.

Lots of great info...bout the only thing I would add is what works for me. Everyone has a method and all I can suggest is to experiment and play around until you find what works best for you.

I use a slide on my little finger so that I can still make chords and play lead...I use mostly opening tuning (G is favorite) and will combine slide with some fingerstyle and lead. I have brass and glass slides and will use whichever gives the sound that I need...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.