Re: So who inspired you to play?

Wes Montgomery didn't start playing until 19.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

I started playing two days after I heard Killer Queen for the first time.  I'm only 17, but I heard it on my mom's record player when I was ten, and I've been playing ever since.

My guitars: Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony and Ibanez AE40 TEL acoustic.
My equipment: Peavey 100w combo (198?) and an ancient (1970's?) Crate 100w combo. A PODxt.

My Dad. 3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

Hank Marvin...

My first guitar was a HORRIBLE telecaster copy with a 'Bigsby' type whammy unit.  I had a Shadows song book, so I sat down and wrote every note above the stave...then I made a diagram of the neck of a guitar and painstakingly learnt 'Apache' one note at a time...by 4 O'clock in the morning I had it 90% beaten.

All the best,

Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint...I drive everywhere!

well my uncle intionaly...but as i played more and more artist continued to help me  and become the guitarest i am now...jimi page and also angus young also tenacoius d

if you can learn bass in 15 minutes
then why do i play the guitar???
tongue

when i was in fifth grade i was sitting around in my friends bedroom, and she started playing the album "Elephant" by the white stripes. i made her burn me a copy of the cd, and pretty much from that point on i knew someday i'd teach myself how to play, and now 6 years later that missions accomplished.

Eric Clapton definitley inspired me to play electric guitar.

Little-known, yet great, guitaristst like Brian Aubert (SSPU) and Benjamin Curtis (Secret Machines).

Keep shreding

Originally my inspiration would have to be hearing Slash on Appetite for Destruction.

That got me interested, but the guy who actually got me playing is one of my good friends Besti, who posts on this board too. Taught me pretty much everything I now know and I owe it to him

At the moment its the Eagles doing it for me, especially Joe Walsh, the man is such a character and wonderful performer, best solo of all time for me is Hotel California. Went to see them at the O2 in london recently, they must have had 100's of guitars back stage, different guitar for every number, WOW and WOW again!

bob marley just lay back play some nice guitar and get stoned:P

plays: Ibanez arx 120bx electric guitar , Fender CD60 steelstring

My inspiration comes from myself.
I used to take lessons in the trombone (I know it's sad) and due to this, i had a good ear for music.
When they stopped, I started teaching myself to play other instruments by ear, so now I can play something on almost anything.
I originally got a guitar purely intending just to have it, but I decided it would be best to learn that aswell, so I got myself a couple of chordbooks and havn't looked back since.
At the minute, acoustically, I have my own sound which is inspired by my own life and my journey through learning as many instruments as possible.
Electrically at the moment, one of my major influences is Joe Satriani, so I am trying to learn to play like him.
One of my main inspirations is also one of the youth leaders at my church, he has been teaching me, and I am a member of the youth band.

Ben

It's not how well you play... It's how much effort you put into the playing

DARON MALAKIAN from System Of A Down. he is the biggest reason i play.

My mom played lots of Jimi Hendrix and Guns n Roses around the house when I was little. So Slash and Jimi were my main inspirations for picking up the guitar...

Without a doubt, Pete Townshend from The Who! His stuff is AWESOME!

DFB
Fender Stratocaster player

when i saw the movie TENACIOUS D the pick of destiny

put profound words here

cobain, morello and jimi hendrix.

tongue:P:P:P:P

Josh Farro
i always wanted to play guitar and when i head paramore i was like"thats it gimmie a guitar"
and i started playing

I like cheese:P
               And Paramore:cool:
               And my guitar:D

69 (edited by GoodbyeBlueSky 2008-06-27 11:18:32)

I think it was Avril Lavigne.
Her first two albums though,
Her new stuff isn't particularly worth listening to.

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

Listening to Iron Maiden and Iced Earth got me into guitars and I hope to start learning asap!

As a kid I listened to an old coal mining friend of my dads play and sing at campfires and kitchen gatherings and always wanted to play old coal mining tunes. Started two years now and have a few mining tunes down . Love every
minute of the learning process.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Mark Tremonti. he's my guitar god.. ive been waiting for YEARS for him to come out with an instructional dvd and he finally is, found it on fret12.com, you all should check it out for some sick shredding lessons and cool stuff from other pro guitarists. I saw him in concert yeears ago and from that day on i knew my passion would be electric guitar. hes amazing

george harrison, eric clapton, and mainly my father, that's who inspires me to play, and to write. over the years i've incorporated so many other guitar players that i could name hundreds, but those three guys are who i aspire to play like, harrison for his tastefulness, playing only the perfect part for the song, nothing more, and certainly nothing less, clapton for being a "guitar god" but still being even headed and not a thoughtless shredder, even though some may argue he's overrated, and my father for being my father hahaha

James Hetfield, Kirk Hammet & Daron Malakian

Bah Weep Graaaaaghnah Wheep Nini Bong - Its the Universal Greeting dontcha know?

My grandmother played and sang. My dad was a reed man. I got into brass first and then guitar out of love for the instrument.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?