Topic: what to buy???...

i have problems with my orginal guitar "squire"
so i wish to purchase a new guitar, i will use it in live preformacies as i am in the middle of starting a band,
i dont have a HUGE amont of money 2 buy with, and want to buy, anther few accsercories...in cluding a marshall micro stack,
i would like to spen between 300-400/450 on a guitar. im not happy at all with the squire that i have bought, i was looking at a custom LP epiphone, but have recently herd that they are a VERY heavy guitar. So have been looking at a G-400 SG epiphone, but still not sure.  my freind has bought a 300 japaniese brand guitar, nothing to flash bu he sayes that it has a better sound then his SG so i am pritty open to any guitar..THNX..=D

if you can learn bass in 15 minutes
then why do i play the guitar???
tongue

Re: what to buy???...

If you dont have too much money you might try looking for a used american stratocaster, try guitar shops,or even pawn shops. I have even seen some people haggle the prices down,and or get acceries with their purches.  Good luck

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I think a used American Strat or Tele is still gonna run you around $800 plus . . .  BUT . . .
Ya know . . . the MIM Strats and Teles are pretty good for the money.  New from $400 - $500 and used they usually go for around $250 - $350.  They are light weight (compared to LPs) and play well when set up properly . . . . you can get a "fat" one (with humbucker) and have a huge variety of sound.

And, personally . . . I actually prefer buying used guitars . . . to me they feel more "settled" and . . . tonefull . . .

I agree with Dino and Royce...finding a good used Strat might be what you're looking for. American strats are a bit expensive but can sometimes be a great buy. The Mexican Strats (I think) are one of the best buys around for a quality name brand guitar. The mid and higher range Epiphone Les Paul and SGs are excellent guitars...the LPs are heavy but that's part of their design...

One thing about the Strat and Les Paul type guitars are the availability of after market and factory accessories and parts available for customizing and repair.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I almost went with a PRS instead of an Epi Les Paul becuase I heard they were heavy, but after I strapped it on and played at the guitar store for awhile, I didn't think the weight was an issue--I love it.  Now, if you're going to be playing 3 hour arena rock shows the weight might be a factor, but for normal sets I don't think it's an issue for most people.  And I think you get a sustain out of a couple humbuckers and a 12 pound hunk of wood that you just can't get out of a strat.

25Frankster wrote:

I almost went with a PRS instead of an Epi Les Paul becuase I heard they were heavy, but after I strapped it on and played at the guitar store for awhile, I didn't think the weight was an issue--I love it.  Now, if you're going to be playing 3 hour arena rock shows the weight might be a factor, but for normal sets I don't think it's an issue for most people.  And I think you get a sustain out of a couple humbuckers and a 12 pound hunk of wood that you just can't get out of a strat.

I have a swamp ash strat type I made that weights in around 8 lbs and it sustains for days.

Bootlegger.