Topic: World's stupidest question ...

I only ask, as I know my guitar is varnished wood - what do I wipe it down with to clean fingerprints off? I figure damp cloth .. but is there something extra special that I can use to keep it looking super pretty?

Feel free to slap me for the silly question ... wink

Re: World's stupidest question ...

I use G H S guitar gloss. It works wonders.

...Badeye.  cool

one caper after another

Not a stupid question by any mean.  There are several spray polish you can get from most music stores.  I would not use any household products (ie Pledge), as they may have harsh chemicals not good for instruments.

A clean damp cloth (100% cotten) followed by a dry cloth is the recommended cleaning method. Be warry of polishes as they sometimes contain wax and a build up can hender top vibrations and effect tone. Also be sure to check that whatever you put on your guitar does not contain silicon (alot of polishes contain this) Silicon never dries and will leave a permanet residue on your guitar causing problems down the road with future repairs. It makes refinishing a nightmare and can effect the bond of glues used for repairs such as bridge replacements. You may never have need of any of this but is it really worth the risk if you can avoid it... Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

There are no stupid questions just stupid answers. I too use  a damp cotton cloth. 1 of my 6 strings is 20 years old and still looks great. I never really polished any of them but I'm lazy.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thank you all sooo much for your answers! I'm off the guitar shop to buy me some polish! smile

In stead of cleaning tips I give you tips TO keep your guitar in good shape.
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ACOUSTIC AND ELECTRIC, not much and in both circumstances the worst is: "changing temperatures"
A/ ELECTRIC
1) Clean or wash your hands before playing your guitar.
2) After you are finished playing, wipe the strings and the finish of the instrument with a soft cloth to remove dirt and oils.
B/ACOUSTIC
1) Is a lot more sensitive to temperature changes. There is ONE BIG RULE, detune your guitar, NO tension on the strings. If your guitar is transported by plane, there are AND temperature AND pressure changes, often resulting in the TYPICAL "NECK/HEADSTOCK FRACTURE." I had it once, and please NEVER try Strong glue" GO TO A LUTHIER, it isn't expensive, he has the tools and you really need to look with a microscope to see where the crack was.
2) An acoustic is more fragile and sensitive than an electric.
Use soft tissues to clean, a little brush to remove dust.
MARTIN CLEANING SPRAYS ARE CONSIDERED AS THE BEST GUITAR CLEANING PRODUCTS

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Thank you so much Gitaardocphil! I have both an electric and an acoustic, so your tips are GREAT!! smile

Hi phil, these are good tips I would like too add,dont leave your guitar with the neck touching a wall etc.It can hurt the neck always use a stand.I used too use martin polish but now I find that a good furniture polish works very well.It is alot less expensive.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman