Topic: Happy Mother's Day

A post by Russell on another thread got me thinking about my Mom and Mother's Day, and instead of replying an OT post there, I really felt it deserved it's own thread.

So, first off.. Happy Mother's Day to all Moms out there in Chordie Land. I hope you have the best of days and you are able to enjoy the day with your loved ones. Moms are certainly the most special of people, and I thought I'd share a bit about my mum here.

Mom raised us 3 kids on her own since I was about 10 (with an older brother and a younger sister). In the late'70s she moved us from a depressed economy in upstate NY to a booming area in Raleigh NC and worked a full time job while finishing her Master's Degree at night school. There were tough times for sure, but there was never a lack of love. It was during this time that she bought a pair of beginner guitars and lessons for me while trying to teach herself with Mel Bay books. Her career was education and was always amazed how quickly I picked up things that she work hard on, or could seem to never get.

Mom always loved singing. She could always do the harmonizing or "flat" singing in the choir - I thought she was just off key, but she did it on purpose. She didn't necessarily believe in all of the traditional church teachings, but she loved to sing, so she was there every Sunday.

My Mom loved Donovan, and I was able to take her to see him during my college years. She also loved Sinatra and Neil Diamond, but would jam with us kids to Zeppelin, Sabbath, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc during my hard rock days. We had more than 1 garage band jamming in our basement in our those days, and Mom put up with it all (and  I dare say maybe even enjoyed a bit of it).

Anyway... Put an end to a long post. My Mom (Helene was her name) died 8 years ago at the young age of 58 from brain cancer. It was sudden and unexpected as she was otherwise in fantastic health. Her Grandkids were her life and she had so much more to offer them and us.

I miss you Mom and I love you very much. I hope you all have a Mom as cool as mine was and that you will enjoy her while you've got her.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Happy Mother's Day

topdown,

A beautiful tribute to your Mom. Well said...............

Happy Mothers Day to all you Moms out there.....

Peace, Happiness, and Sincerity,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Topdown...Moving tribute. I lost my dad to the same disease @ the same age; I feel your pain. Remembering the good times always helps

Happy Mother's Day to all.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Yes, Happy Mother's Day!

Having a loving and supportive mother is so essential.  My mother died 16 years ago (also of a brain tumor - or actually, from complications arising from surgery to remove the tumor).  My mother also loved to sing.

She met my dad when he was hired to be the choirmaster her family's church in Arlington, Virginia.  It was a side job for him while he was a tuba player in the U.S. Army Band in Washington, D.C.  So, music is a family tradition.

My mom was really a fascinating individual, but I did not realize it until I was old enough to start seeing her as a person and not just as 'Mom'.  I think of her every day.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

ehhh?

I thought mothers day was the same date everywhere in the world? I guess not.

We have mothers day ( also known as mothering sunday) in MArch. I think it is the last or second last Sunday of the month.

ah well, happy maws day to other mothers in the world

( Fathers day is the last sunday in June I think, in the UK)

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

6 (edited by Old Doll 2008-05-11 09:51:13)

Hi Topdown,

I got the biggest lump in my throat reading this piece. Helene, would be so proud of you.
This post is a real sign that a mother holds her kids hands for a while, but there hearts forever.
May you feel Your Mams presence today and always.

Happy Mothers Day to all  Mams.

Old Doll.

Ps. UYK. Dont panic Fathers Day is June 16th. lol.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

very well expressed I try to find positive things to remember of my mother and all I can think of is shes in a better place,she was a extrodinary person with a wonderful sense of humor and altho she never flounted it she had a great deal of wisdom and understanding and was very outspoken and not afraid to say what was on her mind I think I inherited the latter, but I wish all a happy mothers day, a day to cherish and a day to remember

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Old Doll wrote:

Hi Topdown,

I got the biggest lump in my throat reading this piece. Helene, would be so proud of you.
This post is a real sign that a mother holds her kids hands for a while, but there hearts forever.
May you feel Your Mams presence today and always.

Happy Mothers Day to all  Mams.

Old Doll.

Thanks Old Doll. I get the feeling that you are a really cool Mom also. I guess they don't celebrate Mothers Day today on your side of the pond, but I wish you a great US Mother's Day nonetheless smile

My mother was in a wheelchair all my life with multiple sclerosis so as a kids we used to drag her off down the street - her in race car decorated wheelchair and us on bikes. Always had a smile and a hug for us kids despite the paim of the disease.
She died 25 years ago ay age 48
God bless you mum

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

It seems appropriate to drag up this old thread. Happy Mother's Day to all Moms out there in chordie land!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY smile

Thank you mom for all you do!!! [I MEAN THAT!]

Ben smile wink lol cool

The world is only going to get worse!

yeah some people have the luck to have "one in a million" and that must be real heart warming......me ave give up hope! But happy mothers day to all you deserving Mams out there

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Sad to say I'm with you Micky.

I know what I'm supposed to feel, but when the one isn't there........................

Good on you all the mums who love their kids and good on you all the kids who appreciate those mums.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Sorry for your loss Topdown.  My mom died suddenly of heart failure in 1995 on the Wednesday after Mother's Day.  I have missed her every day since.  The timing of her passing was fortuitous in that the last thing she heard from each of her four children was "I love you Mom."  I'm not big on Mother's Day as a result.  My wife understands, God bless her.  My kids made some real nice cards for her, I built her some landscaping beds with the plants her presents from me, and my eldest is making dessert for her tonight ( a day late, but appreciated nevertheless ). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Tops,

Sounds like your mom was the best,and left you with alot of her influences that have to make you proud!
All the best to you!

Later, Wayne P

3rd year in a row for this old thread. Mom has been gone 10 years now and I still think of her and reflect on her wisdom every day.

Happy Mothers Day to all Chordie Moms!

Happy mothers day to all of you moms out there.  I wish you the best.  I am fortunate to have my mother still here.  She is 87 and still kicking strongly.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Mothers day must be difficult for you Jeff, your mom sounded like a great woman!

I will say "thanks for the good wishes" and offer mine up for the other chordie moms too! I had a great day with my mom today and my kids. Church, breakfast, a new guitar, upgraded moms computer and cleaned her dryer... came home to chicken marsala! It was snowing here all day, but it didn't make the day any less wonderful. smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Wished I  had said that!

nela

Hope all you Moms out there had a nice one!

My Mom passed many years ago, and my stepdad, then my dad, so now all that's left is my stepmom and mother-in-law....
Phoned the former, and we all had a cookout with the latter and other members of the family today.  End of this month we'll all be together again for a short while,  Janet and I are hosting a 60th Anniversary Party for my In-Laws.  This may be the last time we'll all be able to gather as both sides of the family are getting up there in years and travel is not as easy these days.

Gather your family whenever you can and cherish those times.... it slips away so quickly....

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

i am an orphan at the age of 36 but i hold close the 32 years with my mum and the 36 years with my stubborn dad ( it would have been 32 years if he had anything to do with life). I now have a life with my wife of 10 months ( been together for 18 years (had to make sure you know!!)) Life goes on and you can only live with the cards your dealt. God bless all mums and dads whom without we would not exist. love you forever.

cheers

sinkybhoy

Happy belated Mothers Day to all of you beautiful Mommas out there !!!! I hope your day was special and your love given was returned 10 fold.....

Peace and Guitars,

SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Dragging back this old thread from 5 years ago. Thinking of Mom still brings tears to my eyes. She was the best. For those of you who still have your Mom in your life, I encourage you to savor the days you have with her!

Love ya Ma!

I love you , mom...................

25 (edited by mandu13 2013-05-12 08:28:29)

I agree with all you and appreciate your feelings to your mom.............