Topic: SouthPaw41L's Human Interest Story

Spent the biggest part of this past Thursday interviewing with the St.Petersburg Times (our local newspaper) The reporter LaRita and photographer came out to my gig later that night. Here's the end result.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninter … 497450.ece

Give everything but up.

Re: SouthPaw41L's Human Interest Story

Nice Article Southpaw
Well done
Ark

I printed off a copy.

This is an ispiring story for anyone who says' "I can't".

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Awesome. In the true sense of the word. I can't even begin to think about playing left handed. Jeez, I'm bad enough right handed.

Keep em rockin, Toney. Nice guitar, by the way.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Great stuff Southpaw, your an inspiration to all.

Badeye... cool

one caper after another

great story Toney

I envy you a bit. I wouldnt mind being a house hubby by day and play music at night.
I know I will not do it though, so well done to you for taking that step and doing it

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Southpaw,

Wow! what a story. I had known how you were motivated to keep playing after your accident,
by reading the post here over time. Its a wonderful tribute to the Man you are. Chosen and Special.
Know this!. 
My own nephew had his hand and arm degloved in a car accident. It was the most awful times.
3 years later, he is using his arm and hand again. It takes a lot of guts /courage/tenacity to do what
you people do.

I salute you.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Very cool article Toney. I hope the exposure brings you additional success.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Great story, great article . . . this is excellent exposure.

I gave up playing bass years ago because a left thumb injury (stupid bicycle wreck) made it painful to hold the neck.  Now, I want to find a left-handed bass and see if I can't get my mojo back!

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Dear Toney, there are some things we have in common.
But some questions: as a guitarist playing gigs amateur/semi-professional/professional do you or others pay money to be insured in case of an accident, in this case fingers, hand arm?
You need a lot of courage, suffering AND pain to play again, and my reaction is IF THEY SAY GIVE IT UP, or you CAN'T WALK AGAIN (told in September 2000) AND DRIVE IN A WHEELCHAIR, it is as there is a GOD who tells you MOVE ON YOU CAN DO IT.
Another question, it happened 20 years ago, did you play in a band at that time? It is very difficult to avoid thinking about what happened, and there are a lot of WHY'S HOW'S and IF'S. Reading that article I was really touched, no need to tell why, but I believe you become a better person if you believe yourself, and you focus more on what you still can, and the references = 1 word WOW, I didn't know it. R E S P E C T

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

***Standing Ovation***

Awesome Toney. Such a great story. Hugely inspiring. Keep on rocking!!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Well done Toney,

I am amazed at what you have been able to accomplish after such a severe accident which would have stopped most people from ever picking up a guitar again. I am so pleased that you are getting the recognition you deserve and I raise my glass to you sir.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I'm joining the others in a toast for you (as seeing as it's 5PM EST, oh ya...)

Seriously, I understand---there's only one thing more inspiring than to hear the word "no"; seeing someone in action who finds inspiration in the same...

Best to you, sir!

_debs_

yep it shows you cant keep a good man down(or woman) inspiring artical the human spirit rises above to overcome.great story tony

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Toney, was it a real hard time back then?
I did a lot of thinking and every "doc" has his own opinion.
Finally it is the patients call.
You can sit in a corner as a WILLOW, and weep OR you can be a poplar, a high tree.
I love when people USE THEIR CHARACTER, how difficult it might be.
You really need to have COURAGE and MOTIVATION, I admit if you can make your living from a passion isn't that great?
MAKING A PROFESSION FROM YOUR HOBBY AND PASSION IS SO BEAUTIFUL, and that motivation helpedyou a lot.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Thank you all for your kind words. It's an honor to have fine people such as you all voicing your encouragement.
Doc,
I'll try to answer a few of your questions. I was in a band at the time of the accident. We were a working band that played a lot of southern rock. It was an extremely hard, difficult time. The transition, both physically amd mentally almost got the best of me on numerous ocasions. But I had no choice other than to re-learn, switch hands, get a little creative with a pick system, and continue pursuing my life's passion.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

ps-The article came out in todays' paper. It was the same as the on-line link plus an additional close-up photo of my chording hand. I had wtitten HI MOM (the H and I on one finger, the MOM on the other three) and the photographer(Lara Cerri) captured my mothers day message to my awesome Mom. Happy Mothers Day out there to all the wonderful mothers !!!!.............

Give everything but up.

James McCormick wrote:

Great story, great article . . . this is excellent exposure.

I gave up playing bass years ago because a left thumb injury (stupid bicycle wreck) made it painful to hold the neck.  Now, I want to find a left-handed bass and see if I can't get my mojo back!

James,
   Here are some choices for you to ponder;

http://www.music123.com/Left-Handed-Ele … sic123?o=1

http://www.southpawguitars.com/takamini.html

Best of luck, I know you can do it!

Toney

Give everything but up.

Wow.

I mean really.

Wow!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Sir, I am jealous of your scenery.  What a terrific looking office! 

Well done.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude