Topic: Quick poll type question

Music first?

Lyrics first?

Do you find it easier to put a tune to lyrics, or easier to have a concept and find the words to fulfill the concept when you already have a tune in mind.  Obviously, it is an iterative process with both the tune and the words being refined, but where do YOU start?

I have a new song concept in mind, and thought I'd give it a go when I'm not stoned on pain killers and anesthesia.  I don't know what I'm doing, so figured I'd ask for how others go about it. 

I know this has been addressed before, so sorry for asking a repeat question.  I throw myself upon the kindness and generosity of Chordians when I ask you to repeat yourselves. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Quick poll type question

Hi Zurf,

I find it easier to have the lyrics first and then put music to them. I like to be able to write the music to reflect the feelings of the lyric.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I'm just the opposite of Roger. I find a melody and then usually apply lyrics to it. I think it stems from being "musically challenged". I'm a much better orator then musician but I do love to play

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Zurf,

I personally find it easier to come up with a chord progression, then a melody, and last but

certainly not least lyrics. thats what works for me.

getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

I kind of go both ways musically sometimes I pen the lyrics first and they suggest a rhythm in the cadence of the sylibals or I could be strumming a  improv (jamming some chords) and I add the words because I like the changes and I usually write the chord changes down on music paper and then i wont forget but the hardest is altering a passage from scripture and making the words rhyme while keeping the message intact it really is a chalange

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Zurf,

sometimes when i write the melody is right there with the words. But i have so many with no melodies.

I guess my ability to put music  to my words is very scarce.

But try,  its good therapy.  Hope your feeling as good  and healthy as those  fresh trout you catch.

God to you.

From The Emerald.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

To me melody comes first and foremost in my songs.
Lyrics are secondary and to me hard to produce.
Saying that I've written songs both ways.
But I prefer the freedom of not having to tailor melody to suit lyrics.
Ark

Hi Zurf,
Mostly, I start with a lyrical idea.  I bash that around a bit - sometimes an idea that seems promising might not develop beyond the initial spark.  I never discard an idea completely since I have a notebook with plenty of scribbles.  If an idea seems to develop and resonate in my imagination, some sort of melodic idea usually follows.

Rarely, a melody line is a starting point.  I find that starting with a melody is harder for me.  I don't know why - in fact, I have a couple melodic ideas that I truly love but just can't seem to find the right words to 'fit'.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Ive heard you sing lol all kidding aside your vocals are as unique as your wonderful melodies smile   

arkady wrote:

To me melody comes first and foremost in my songs.
Lyrics are secondary and to me hard to produce.
Saying that I've written songs both ways.
But I prefer the freedom of not having to tailor melody to suit lyrics.
Ark

hi helena I told that joke about "the hind lick" and there still laughing thanks smile

Old Doll wrote:

Hi Zurf,

sometimes when i write the melody is right there with the words. But i have so many with no melodies.

I guess my ability to put music  to my words is very scarce.

But try,  its good therapy.  Hope your feeling as good  and healthy as those  fresh trout you catch.

God to you.

From The Emerald.

Old Doll.

For me I always start with a chord progression. My second step is to find a beat or strum pattern that suits the progression. While doing this I often come up with a phase or such and the basic melody, but deffinately a mood which is inspired by the music.

This then sets me off in the path of the lyrics. Once the lyrics are all done then I go back and tinker with the chords and melody. The song is normally finished pretty quickly but I find that the melody still evolves for a few weeks as I play the song and discover better ways to sing it.

Hope that helps some.

As always I hope you enjoy my musical journey as much as I do.

This has been helpful, and I appreciate everyone's advice.  Thank you very much. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude