Topic: Capo question

Hi everyone.

I noticed that when I put a capo on certain frets, the chords are no longer the same.  Do I need to know something about music before delving into the capo world?

For instance, I have the song "New Shoes" by Paolo Nutini,  which has the capo on the first fret -- no problem there.  However, "Bubbly" by Colbie Caillat sounds completely different once I've capo-ed it, and ditto for "Love is Free" by Sheryl Crow.  They both sound like the chords are no longer the right ones.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks,
anastasia

Re: Capo question

Anastasia

Some of the music theory guys could better explain ... but I think using the capo moves the notes up in a different octave

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

If you're playing in the open position, all the capo is going to do is change the key you are playing in, and you can continue to use the same shapes you used in standard tuning.  If you are playing further down the neck it's going to screw things up if you play an open string.

If you want to use a capo and play the entire neck, you need to be able to barre effectively.

Which chords are giving you trouble?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Anastasia

without treading on Jerome's reply which is bang on correct.

If you play a G chord without the capo, you are playing G

If you put a capo on the 2nd fret and hold the G chord down ( as in the same shape of chord you would do for G) it is not actually a G. As jerome says you are making the key go higher so since the capo is on the 2nd fret the actual chord you are playing is an A chord.

if playing the shape of a G chord with the capo on

1st fret         actually is G#
2nd fret                        A
3rd                               A#
4th                               B
5th                               C
6th                               C#

etc etc

Also with other chords  A chord with capo on the 2nd is B

If you find a song you like and you do not like the chords then you can transpose them to chords that are easier to play.
If you find you cannot sing along while playing those chords then use the capo. Try different frets until you find your pitch.

hope this helps a bit

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I found that if my capo is too tight it has a great effect on the chords as you move the capo up the neck. Try loosening it off. The further up the neck you go you'll need to slacken it just a tad. I try not to have the capo clamped right down onto the fretboard, but just enough pressure to have all strings ringing true. Works for me but i may just have a bad capo.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Thank you so much for the lesson on the capo. I imagine because I don't know anything about music theory, that's why it doesn't make sense to me.

For instance, Ken, you suggested that I transpose chords; I have no clue where or how to do that. So that's the limit of my knowledge.

Also, for example, the song "Love is Free" by Sheryl Crow tells me Capo 5. Now when I play the chords A, Bm, E, (etc), the song does not sound right. That is probably because I am now in a different key, right? So that is why I don't understand it, because I don't know what key I should be in.

Anyway, if it's not too much trouble, can someone explain? Otherwise, I may have to take some music lessons, smile

Thanks All very much. (PS:  I have been practicing steadily for 5 1/2 months, and I can't believe the improvement!!!)

A.

7 (edited by 3CF 2008-05-19 16:41:15)

http://www.cyberfret.com/misc-wisdom/capo/index.php
Here is a useful link. Look deeper into this here and you will find a chart there.
Here is the link to the chart: http://www.cyberfret.com/misc-wisdom/capo/page5.php

You see if you play a G chord and capo on the second fret it now becomes an A chord, Scale : A B C D E F G...if you place the capo on the second fret you move up a whole octive see after G comes A .  Becauses it still sounds like a A chord you are able to play the song in a more Familiar chords or you might have a singer who only sings a certin octive. 3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

thank you thank you thank you!  Quite an informative site for me!!! Did I say thank you? smile

Also, one last question: regarding the key of, if you play chords on a guitar without any capo, what key is the guitar in? (Does that make sense?)

Thanks!!!!!
anastsasia

A completely open strum across all six strings in a guitar in standard tuning will produce an Em11 chord.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

hi,

When you go onto a song you can transpose the song by looking to the right hand side. There is an option to "transpose". if you go in there and click +2 it will transpose the song up two frets ( meaning it is going up two keys) If the song start in the chord A originally it will transpose ( change) it to starting in the chord B +2 makes it C etc etc

playing a guitar with no capo is playing it "Open". It depends what chords you use that determines the Key you are playing in.

if you go here, you can see things about scales, keys, chords, notes.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

I  found this site really useful and still use it sometimes.

ken

Ken, am I to understand that if I transpose a song by 5, that it will give me the chord shapes without a capo on the 5th fret?

Also, if I print up a chord sheet for a song, and it tells me to put a capo on the 5th fret, I can still play the chords that are showing, say the A shape with the capo on the 5th fret, and I will get the proper sound, which is not necessarily an A?

(I hope I'm not confusing you.)

A.

yes but it might sound different though it will be the correct key.

And yes, if it tell you to play a capo on 2nd 5th fret etc, you will put it there and play the chords it tells you i.e A G, play those, even though they are not making the tone of an A or G etc.

Ken

Thank you Ken, Jerome, 3CF, alvee33.

anastasia