Topic: ARE THERE GUITAR PLAYERS WHO REFUSE TO USE EFFECT PROCESSORS?

It's all written in the title, are there chordians who play very clean, a crystal clear sound without using effects? Or using just a few effects, like 3 to 4 different effect boxes like wah wah, overdrive?

The more I play the more I go back to SIMPLICITY, despite the fact that I have a lot of floorboards, I start playing more and more USING MY ACOUSTIC AMP.
Or JAZZ? who plays JAZZ here?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: ARE THERE GUITAR PLAYERS WHO REFUSE TO USE EFFECT PROCESSORS?

The only effects I use, if you want to call it "effects", is the chorus function on my acoustic amp.

nela

I think that many players fail to explore all the possibilities available with just what a player is able to do with playing technique and amp settings. Pick-up selections, Muting, String bends, vibratos, flexing the guitar neck, bending above the nut, etc. for guitar effects. A good amp has lots of different sounds...

For much of my playing I do use a Delay and Chorus pedals...reverb and distortion from the amp...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I wish I could go naked, but since I'm the only guitar in my church band...I use a little delay and gain thru my Pandoras-Box before the signal reaches the amp.

It just makes my playing sound fuller to compete with the piano/keyboard without having to blast the volume.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

I wish I could go naked, but since I'm the only guitar in my church band...I use a little delay and gain thru my Pandoras-Box before the signal reaches the amp.

It just makes my playing sound fuller to compete with the piano/keyboard without having to blast the volume.

=]
Dm

Go to church naked? This sounds like a church for me...........

I need a little reverb to fatten my sound. On guitar solos I'll use volume boost, compression/sustain, and phase. The phase is a wonderful effect in that it gives a chorus and a flange effect together. A groovy kinda spacey sound. The key is to use effects sparingly to utilize the coloring effect to stand out when needed.

Give everything but up.

There are plenty of players who only use guitar amp cable but what you'll find is that the guitar/amp probably injects some natural compression and maybe has a spring reverb built in too. They are also not trying to go for a radically diferent sound every number. Effects heavy players may be running the gamut of styles more, psychedelic one song, hard on rock the next etc.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Good old Accoustic Amp  1950 sound ain't bad  at times....

The richest child is poor without music.!  smile  cool

cytania wrote:

A rounded bottom end that's fat but also tight...

Bass players don't do double entendre ;-).

Thats hot!

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I like simple. 
Some preamp overdrive from my fender 15W Blues Jr. (ballsy) , or a Marshall Valve state (a little thin but good for studio, small rooms), but more often I use a DS1.   I still have my original smallstone phase shifter. And I use a cry baby wah.

I sometimes use a nearly 40 year old Uni-Fuzz. Made by Uni-Cord, the Connecticut company that made Hendrix's Uni-Vibe.
http://filters.muziq.be/model/univox/unifuzz
Makes me feel like I'm 15 again.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

10 (edited by Siege of Troy 2008-05-29 03:57:28)

I really don' use many effects, this is my metal floorboard setup:Boss MT2 Metal Zone Distortion pedal, Morley Wah pedal, and the delay on my Digitech rp600. I don't count my Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal as an effect, but a necessity since I play with a strat at high volume and gain...

My Classic rock and blues setup just involves the noise suppressor, wah pedal, and amp distortion.

So I'm not above using effects, but only if they are absolutely necessary to the sound and song.

Nope

I Can Play And Thats Ture  (- -)
                                           -
                                         /--/

no effects are revolutionary

I have the Digitech GNX3000.  And, do love the convenience of the built-in chromatic tuner, and some cool patches when needed.  Most of the time I use the clean sound setting.  But, when I jam with friends, I really like to throw in some distortions and delays for effects!  Having one board also means no multiple stomp boxes/pedals.  In addition, I like the built-in drum machine.

I don't really use any effects either Doc ... it gets rather confusing especially when I've only been playing less the two years ... I have the preset amp setting on my Line6 (old Marshalls, Vox, etc) and stay with those ... very rarely will I add Flange, Delay, etc ... I guess it's probably due to the fact that I'm still learning

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

lok at me i cant fly lol i hav cen a amp b4 they r beep lol :-)

I Can Play And Thats Ture  (- -)
                                           -
                                         /--/