Re: What line of work are you in?

Great Thread...This year would have been my 30th year installing commercial and industrial overhead doors.Another company offered me a job in sales so now I don't struggle going up and down ladders ,I just struggle to make ends meat LOL I should of stayed were I was but I'm not as young as I used ta was.I made my bed so now I toss and turn in it. No complaints here.

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi all

I've been a labourer, a vegetable processor, a kitchen assistant, a frozen vegetable processor, nine months in the Royal Navy, shop worker, telephone operator, taxi driver, shop assistant, team leader and shop manager.  Currently full time bus driver and part time Police Officer - hoping to do that full time... 

There is such a variety of profession/trade on this site all bound together by the love of music... don't see any politicians though!  Read into that what you will cool

I'm the son of rage and love

I dishwash for a living.   LOL just kidding...... I'm only 14. But I still dishwash at some fancy resteraunt.........      and the rest of the time I pretend to do school while I'm actually playing guitar. LOL     And I live in Nobleton Ontario..... SMALL town YEAH

Linusguitar wrote:

I dishwash for a living.   LOL just kidding...... I'm only 14. But I still dishwash at some fancy resteraunt.........      and the rest of the time I pretend to do school while I'm actually playing guitar. LOL     And I live in Nobleton Ontario..... SMALL town YEAH

Nothing wrong with washing dishes. Just make sure you protect your hands with clean, dry gloves. I did a short stint washing dishes in a psychiatric hospital and the chemicals from the soap cracked my hands all to pieces. It took a month of being away from that job before my hands healed. Actually, I was fired from that job for putting on a fake wrestling match with two frozen chickens, one on each of my hands. All of the older ladies were laughing uncontrollable at my antics and then the laughing suddenly stopped. Our boss had snuck up behind me and witnessed the "chicken-fight." She wasn't as amused as the majority of the kitchen staff. I was immediately sent home never to return again. Bach, bach..............

Give everything but up.

Quit it Southpaw , you almost did me an injury with that chicken fight story .
   Reminds me of years ago , when I was welding full time .
The boss used to just take off once in a while and if it was a hot day , the other guys and I would have water fights in and around the shop . Well this one time I decided I was gonna get one of the other guys real good so I took and filled a five gallon pail . I waited just inside one of the overhead doors for this guy to come around the corner but he did'nt . The boss did instead , and he got soaked . I thought it was all over for all of us since I was lead man . But I guess he thought it was too hot to work too because the next thing I know , he's got a hose soaking me ............

Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Daddy Cool,
I understand what you're talking about.
You feel like a number, and I've been told that I was just a number.
The corrections field is always hiring.
I could quit, I could get fired, I could even die, and noone would care.
Just like the inmates, there's always someone out there ready to take my place.
Corrections could care less about the years of experiance. So why do I stay, simple, Factories are alays laying off and I'm just tired of moving from job to job. I've put up with lots of crap over the years, most from supervisors and peers.

Hang in there.

Badeye,
I aint even about getting respenct anymore. I would just like to see everyone stay out of my area and let me do my job. Sometimes people will come to my area looking for problems, their areas are so messed up that if they can show fault in other areas it will take heat off them. Our faults are so few that when they are made it becomes noticable.

Everyone,
If you don't work corrections, then don't. It's a trap. Over time you become comfortably numb. You become numb to everyone and everything. You can see someone in pain and you just don't care. you can see death and you just don't care. you'll see humans mistreating other humans and you just don't care. You become numb. Befor it's all over with you'll either pick up smoking, drinking, swearing, lying, or you'll get a worse habit. You'll become numb. In this world noone will ever believe the truth, but a lie is believed. It is believed by both officers and inmates.

Corrections is a trap. Don't get caught.
It ruins relationships, the mind, and the body. Noone cares. You just get numb.
So why stay? It's a garontied paycheck. In a world where it's hard to find work or jobs layoff. It's a paycheck.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

I'm a brain surgeon, and do a little rocket science work on the side. Just kidding. I have been employed in the insurance business since 1969, with a brief foray into the Billy Graham Organization.  Not a day of those 39 years has gone by that I have not thought about music and guitar playing!

ozymandias wrote:

Thats why we love the music, when all else fails, the tunes you love and the instrument you love to play, will never let you down!

Peace

agreed  so true.   Badeye cool

one caper after another

Hi all - I'm a camera repairer & yes, it is a dying trade, so am more of a househusband these days. So, main work really is cooking, cleaning, ironing, diy, gardening, school run etc - feels a bit pointless & depressing sometimes, but am luckier than so many other people. Plus, get to play guitar everyday! Just by the by, the UK is soooooooo crowded! Really fancy moving to Canada or NZ if anyone can offer me a job - I hear the fishing is really good too!!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I've been retired from the Government for  almost three years.  Now I finally have enough time to practice every day and I have gotten better.  Practice really does help.  I notice a real difference from week to week.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

normtheguitar wrote:

Hi all - I'm a camera repairer & yes, it is a dying trade, so am more of a househusband these days. So, main work really is cooking, cleaning, ironing, diy, gardening, school run etc - feels a bit pointless & depressing sometimes, but am luckier than so many other people. Plus, get to play guitar everyday! Just by the by, the UK is soooooooo crowded! Really fancy moving to Canada or NZ if anyone can offer me a job - I hear the fishing is really good too!!

Go to Canada it's closer and underpopulated!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I work at a movie theater. its poor pay but decent work and decent people

The problem with the world is people having lack of commen sense...and warning labels. So if we remove warning labels the problem will fix itself.

Soldier of Fortune, Engineer omnipotent,Philosopher & Part time Chandelier Cleaner

Wars Fought,Revolutions Quelled,Governments Overthrown, Virgins Enlightened,Equations Solved & Rockets Test Flown

I wish....I'm an Aviation Technical lecturer  smile

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

I retired from the local government back in June of this year after 40 years in only 2 different departments;  San Bernardino County Library Administration offiices, where I did a wide variety of things over a 27 year period, and the last 13 years was spent with the local Welfare department in the warehouse where hundreds of thousands of cases are kept and 2,000 different forms are stored (after all, the welfare department needs a place to store all that paperwork before it gets sent out to everyone).  Don't ever let anyone tell ya that when you switch from a "paper" office to a "computerized" office, there is less paperwork involved.  That is pure BS, and everyone knows what BS stands for......Big Storytellers!  Anyway, now that I am retired, I stay busy working part time as an on-call/relief driver for a company that provides transportation to train crew to and from the work site.  In my position, I acquire a large van from a person going off duty and wait for a call from dispatch (which could happen at any time during a 24 hour on call period) that could send me to the yard to pick up crew to go  to down town LA or anywhere in Orange County, or as far north as Bakersfield, or clear over to Yuma, AZ (an 8 hour trip), or the middle of the desert to a town called Yermo in the middle of the night.  I certainly hope this has not been too long or boring for you all to read.

CW Boomer said it!
Working to become a Brain Surgeon or a Rocket Scientist, I forget which...

65 (edited by deadstring 2008-11-12 19:43:15)

Not at all CW. We have a van in common.
The Sheriff Dept. supplies me a 13 passenger van to haul work release prisoners to and from their jobs. I usually make a run that takes me from 6 to 8 in the morning to drop them off and then from  4 to 6 pm getting them back to the prison. The rest of the day is mine.   Before that?
Air Force 4 years - Paper Mill 13yrs.till it folded--Operating heavy equipment 27 years. Retired on Monday and went to work part time on Friday in 2006.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

carpenter  and woodworker by trade, but i am currently disabled and playing the guitar for some peace of mind.

YeeHaw! the Lunaticcowgirl writes again!

lunaticcowgirl wrote:

carpenter  and woodworker by trade, but i am currently disabled and playing the guitar for some peace of mind.

I'v tried meditation, counselling, etc, but, music satisfies and delivers more peace of mind than anything I know.

Hang in there and take care!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg