Re: Do instruments really define the people who play them?

I believe its more the type of music one plays that defines the person than the instrument he or she chooses

what a long strange trip it's been

patrickjacques wrote:

I believe its more the type of music one plays that defines the person than the instrument he or she chooses

I completely agree

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

Jikklop wrote:

Hey,
It's true, people's personality aren't ALWAYS cultivated by what instrument they play. Seems that way though, huh?
Being a saxophonist in a band, I tend to notice these things:
Trumpets - Loud, whiney drama queens.
Drummers - Most of the time, ignorant.
Flutes/Clarinets - Quiet. Very quiet.
Saxophones - Try to be noticed, but are mostly ignored. Very cynical and some would do better as comedians.
Basses/Trombones - Again, quieter than they should be and ignored.
Violins - Loud, happy people, but still have that "strings player" feeling around them.
Cellos - Concentrate a lot.
Pianos - Perfectionists. Some (emphasis on "some") aren't very likeable.
Sorry if I offended anyone, I am a bit cynical and hard-headed.

Jikklop

When these threads come up I always have to wonder where I fit in, playing the guitar, the piano, drums, saxophone, bass, and blues harp. tongue

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

"I always have to wonder where I fit in, playing the guitar, the piano, drums, saxophone, bass, and blues harp."

I have a friend  who charges £500 an hour to answer questions like that. I understand he has a very comfortable couch.

And what's with the persecution of bagpipes. Bodhrans, I can do without, but life without the Uilleann pipes would be a sorry place. Check out this by Davy Spillane - it's from "Riverdance" too! It'a a wonderful lament for a mythological Ulsterman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSjmvU_8xLY

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

alansheeran wrote:

"I always have to wonder where I fit in, playing the guitar, the piano, drums, saxophone, bass, and blues harp."

I have a friend  who charges £500 an hour to answer questions like that. I understand he has a very comfortable couch.

And what's with the persecution of bagpipes. Bodhrans, I can do without, but life without the Uilleann pipes would be a sorry place. Check out this by Davy Spillane - it's from "Riverdance" too! It'a a wonderful lament for a mythological Ulsterman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSjmvU_8xLY

Alan firstly can you get me a good discount from your friend? lol

and I was going to moan about the persecution of bagpipes but I noticed it was such a long time ago when it was typed. Someone decided to open a really old thread. all pipes are great!! all instrumetns are great, the people that complain about certain instruments are the people that have not got a clue about the instrument.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

methinks, ken, that you may have a slight bias in your opinion on bagpipes!

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

32 (edited by GoodbyeBlueSky 2008-06-27 10:43:40)

SGinCYQX wrote:
Jikklop wrote:

Hey,
It's true, people's personality aren't ALWAYS cultivated by what instrument they play. Seems that way though, huh?
Being a saxophonist in a band, I tend to notice these things:
Trumpets - Loud, whiney drama queens.
Drummers - Most of the time, ignorant.
Flutes/Clarinets - Quiet. Very quiet.
Saxophones - Try to be noticed, but are mostly ignored. Very cynical and some would do better as comedians.
Basses/Trombones - Again, quieter than they should be and ignored.
Violins - Loud, happy people, but still have that "strings player" feeling around them.
Cellos - Concentrate a lot.
Pianos - Perfectionists. Some (emphasis on "some") aren't very likeable.
Sorry if I offended anyone, I am a bit cynical and hard-headed.

Jikklop

When these threads come up I always have to wonder where I fit in, playing the guitar, the piano, drums, saxophone, bass, and blues harp. tongue

Yeah, as a guitarist I agree with JSGinCYQX
But as a drummer I am insulted tongue

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

hi

Doing nothin' is so tiresome because you can't stop and rest.

GO BRONCOS!!!!!