Topic: Need help with songs.

I keep coming up with some pretty good lyrics but can never fit them together or come up with a tune.
Anyone got any words of advice?

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

Re: Need help with songs.

I've written a total of two songs, so my advice is bound to be pretty sorry.  Nevertheless, what I've learned helps is to have a rhythm or pattern in mind when putting together the lyrics.  I get kind of a plan of what I want to say, then I come up with some words that will rhyme (or almost rhyme) to end the stanzas, and then I come up with a basis for the rhythm and chord patterns.  Then, and only then, do I fill in the rest of the lyrics so that when the lyrics are done, so is the song.  More or less.  Always some tweeking to do. 

Hope that helps even though I don't even expect it's worth a half-penny for those thoughts.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

For me writing a tune never seems to be the same.Sometimes a tune comes to mind and I'll fit a lyric to the tune,sometimes a lyric,but when this happens it can be tough coming up with the right melody.I try not to force a melody cause it takes away from the song.I've got lots of lyrics still waiting for the right melody.I think I'll buy a mini-recorder cause lots of times a melody will come up and I'll practice it and practice it so I won't forget it and then"presto...I forgot it"
Don't be hard on yourself if you can't come up with a tune...Store the lyrics and when the time is right the melody will magically appear. Hope that helps
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I have pretty much a set routine when I write. Firstly I concentrate on a chord progression. Find two progressions that sound good. One for the verse and one for the chorus. Normally I try and start the chorus on a different chord than the verse.

Once I have my progressions sorted out I find a rhythym that or strum pattern that suits the chords and then I build the lyrics and the melody in sync. Starting from the words is very difficult as it posses so many restrictions on your music.

Havinf said all of this, if you have some good lyrics already, I would suggest trying to find a chord progression that suits what you have written and put them to a strum pattern to that works with it then re arrange your lyrics to suit the music you have created.

Hope that helps.

As always I hope you enjoy my musical journey as much as I do.

hi goodbyebluesky i usually get an inspiration by things around me the melody and lyrics seem to flow together as i'm writing my ideas down,if you qant to post your lyrics we might be able to give you some help to transcribe it for you,theres always someone on chordie willing to assist....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

hi bluesky, like the yellow sub

songs come in different ways, sometimes i get an inspiration for some words and a tune comes with them, but if i dont record it straight away then i forget how the music goes and i usually have to rewrite the words to fit the new tune!! occasionally the whole thing comes as if i'd heard it on the radio, so i guess all i can say is; we all write in our own way, try just tinkling on a guitar or keyboard until a chord sequence forms a melody, then words will follow, then comes the hard part, get them to make sense to other people
hope this helps

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks all, some great advice there.

I'll try out some of those, see what works best. I will post some lyrics up at some point, but not right now as I usually end up writing on whatever paper I have (Mostly school books...) than forget where I wrote them, I'll have a look about sometime later, see what I can find.

Kerry

That's my voice rising.

just play around with the barre chords till you come up with sumthin u like.... thats what i do. Once you got your chord progression you can build the lead

All You Need is Love smile

I'm not that good with barre chords....

I just wish I could write like Conor Oberst.
He has some of the best lyrics I have ever heard....

That's my voice rising.

Hi GoodbyeBluesky

If you already have lyrics that you are happy with, try putting your self in a place where you have no distractions(no ipods,no friends,no phone, no TV).A place where you are comfortable and happy.Take only one of your favorite songs with you and run it through your mind running through all different styles of melodies.You will be surprised what you can come up with, with no distractions.Try not to force the melody,it will come.Work on maybe just the chorus or just the verse.
A walk in the park or alone in your room,anyplace where you can't be distracted.

Hope that helps you. smile
Kap

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

hi goodbybluesky post some lyrics and we can help you with the melody...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

I am trying hard to solve you're problem because I can start and complete a song with-in an hour's time.I guess I need to know where these lyrics are coming from,are they just off the top of you're head?I ask this because most song lyrics are a manifestation from the rythem in you're heart,or a beat in you're soul.Maybe I would need to see a little of you're work to understand.I have been playing and writing for 45 years and have a little of everyone's soul in my character.All I can recommend is that you add you're heart into what you are writing and it will come together.
                                                      Rick

i am not a mature english speaker, but i will try my best to tell you something:

i ve written lots of songs and every time it`s special..there is no a method to do it, but you can try by writing some words that rhyme and then try to sing them together in differents ways not matter it the tune or melody likes you or not...just try and try till you find something that likes you..

Ruben Dario