Topic: Carbon Fiber Guitars

I'm considering purchasing a Composite Acoustics carbon fiber guitar and was wondering if anybody here owns one or has played one.

http://www.compositeacoustics.com/

Everything I have read about them has been extremely positive. The durability factor (never need to worry about a truss rod adjustment, or humidity or travel, etc.) is what is most attractive to me and they supposedly also sound fantastic. I'm going to go try some out next weekend - closest dealer is in the mountains, might as well make a weekend out out of it.

It just seems weird, there's something about a real wood guitar - a personality that I'm afraid I might miss in a piece of carbon fiber. Thoughts / opinions?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Carbon Fiber Guitars

I live and play in Costa Rica and the humidity here is, at a minimum, 70% and as high as 95% for extended periods of time.  OUr lead guitar player plays an Emerald guitar made in Ireland.  It's carbor fiber and has a sound like a baby grand piano when it's plugged in.  When he tunes up before a gig his guitar is almost always in tune from the last time he played it.  My Martin D35 holds it's tuning after a few minutes in the open and once she's in tune she stay there.  But the humidity takes it's toll on wooden guitars and that's why I'm looking at a Rain Song 6 string.

topdown wrote:

I'm considering purchasing a Composite Acoustics carbon fiber guitar and was wondering if anybody here owns one or has played one.

http://www.compositeacoustics.com/

Everything I have read about them has been extremely positive. The durability factor (never need to worry about a truss rod adjustment, or humidity or travel, etc.) is what is most attractive to me and they supposedly also sound fantastic. I'm going to go try some out next weekend - closest dealer is in the mountains, might as well make a weekend out out of it.

It just seems weird, there's something about a real wood guitar - a personality that I'm afraid I might miss in a piece of carbon fiber. Thoughts / opinions?

Topdown,
Since the majority of my gigs are outdoor in high heat and humidity I've seriously considered getting one of these carbon fiber guitars. I've researched them extensively and found this; unmiced, pure acoustic they don't have the sound quality of good wood acoustics. However, tuning is rarely an issue because the carbo fiber does not expand and constrict, as wood guitar do in heat/climate change. They are also a bit pricy but in time I think they'll be more affordable to the common man. Martin and Rainsong make the two that I've been looking into. The Martin is around $1,000 and the RainSong is around $2,500.
    If one is going to mic a guitar from the front, I'd stay away from these guitars. But if one is running from internal electronics from withtin the guitar, as most people do, I loudly applaud these guitars.

Give everything but up.

Hey tops, Composite acoustics is a sponser of anouther forum that I visit regularly. They have alot of info on these. Several members have them and are happy to share their views. I did a search for related threads and this is what I got  http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru … hid=482790   A read through these posts will probably answer any questions you may have.  I've listened to sound clips of a few diffrent models and their is a big tone diffrence (good or bad is up to the listner). The advantages are obvious....Unaffected by temp and humidity...etc  The only real drawback I can see is that a composite guitar will never open up or mature. The sound it has when you get it is how it's going to sound in the future. It won't improve over time like a wood guitar which will probably affect resale value. IMO I don't see them ever going up in value. Just something to consider. I think if you play alot outdoors, in extreme conditions, or live in a area where humidity is always an issue they are a viable solution. Just my 2 lincolns...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks guys - Yeagh Pix, I've seen some of the threads over on AGF - That's probably what brought the CA brand to my attention. There was one listed in the classified section, but I want to play one first before I step up. Ya know - some of threads over there showing cracked and damaged custom built 2, 3, or $5,000 guitars is what got me thinking about the CA - I would be sick if I laid out $2,500 on a git and come home to find it cracked one day.

Southpaw - I didn't know Martin made a composite - I'll have to check that out too.

http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/575004694.html

It's actually a graphite guitar TD. Very similar in molecular make up.

Give everything but up.

I've seen and played a Rainsong Guitar that is some sort of synthetic material and really liked the sound and playability of it. I bet it would really be great in those areas of high humidity and such. Someone is also making a mandolin out of Graphite or Carbon...my mandos drive me nuts at times with the humidity is changing...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I just ordered a CA 7i from Acoustic Pro Musicians

http://www.compositeacoustics.com/7i%20Series.aspx

http://www.acousticpromusician.com/inv_ca.htm

It's a black high gloss finish - supposedly a new finish as it's not listed on the CA website yet.

I've been searching for a 5i, but Danny is having a great sale (not listed on the site), so I was compelled to step up to the 7 series. Both of these series have the new integral top bracing and offset soundhole that supposedly offer a super booming bass. I played some of the older models and really liked them, but I am buying this one blind. My main reason for purchasing is durability. I travel for work weekly and like the idea of throwing my git in the trunk without worrying about durability.

I should have it by Friday - I'll post pics then. Can't wait - I am psyched!

Hey Tops, Congrats on the addition! Can't wait to see some picts. That's #4 right, I guess the collection is officially started! I look forward to hearing your review and maybe getting a chance to try it out in person...lol
Here goes A catchy little tune that I've been learning this weekend to celebrate with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg7WG6tCbrw  lol Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Thanks Pix - yeah, I guess you could say I've had a bad case of GAS. This CA will have to cure it for a while though (I hope!).

That video is whacked - reminds me of an old Barney vid (Sally the camel?), that my kid would watch over and over, and .... Cool tune though - gotta be in the right state of mind. smile

Hey Man - how did your gig go at the music store you posted about a while back? I bet you had a blast!

Yea the vid is whacked...lol I couldn't find a good live version real quick so I just pasted that one. The artist is Jonathan Richman. He performs it with loops and it's a awesome track to hear live. http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=161707  I upgraded my home studio last month so I've really been expanding my work now that I can layer tracks with multiple instruements and riffs.
   The gig was a hit! I had a blast! I'll post a little more in detail in the gigs section but It went really well!
Cure... GAS? lol:lol::lol::lol::lol:  That's like saying you figured out how to understand women...lol Peace! -Pix

when the building site we was working on was frozen  - me and a freind busked for money to get us over christmas for the kids  . we played in a subway in slough ( uk ) . it was freezing  !!!!!! . it wasnt the neck that caused the constant retuning  , it was the cold . making the strings brittle .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

The guitar was here when I got home Friday. Been playing it almost non-stop all weekend. It is a joy. A link to some photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23057346@N07/

Very Nice Tops! How's she sound? Any chance of a quick sound sample? What material is the nut and saddle on it? Sorry for all the questions...lol I haven't found one locally to check out.

Hey Pix - The saddle and nut are.... would you believe composite? LOL. Really they are.

It sound great to my ears. A booming bass more than any acoustic I have ever played. That's the reason I held out for the new "i" series. I strum hard and I love the volume. Sustain is fantastic.

I'll try to post a private vid on youtube if I can get my stuff to work. Better idea - bring the wife and kids up for a weekend visit and you can play her yourself!

16 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-06-29 23:18:58)

I'd love to head that way and probably will soon. Maybe the gas prices will drop a little. I don't mind the 6hrs on the road round trip but that $100 gas bill keeps me at home...lol It's getting about time to sale one of the 4x4 suvs and get a hybrid. You could always head this way for a weekend! I'm closer to the beach...lol The family is welcome of course. I can get a group together and make a real party of it wink

After all you do have that wonderfull company car and gas card...lol