Topic: Artist effects pedals?

I've seen these effects pedals like a Brian May and Jimi Hendrix pedal that are supposed to capture the original sound of certain songs.  How do these work? Do you just connect them to your amp and you're good to go? What happens if you mix effects on your amp with sounds on the pedal?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Artist effects pedals?

Does anyone use these things?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I've seen some of those advertised and can't help but wonder if it's mostly a marketing gimmick...no matter what the effects pedal can do, there are other variables that effect the sound. The type of guitar (wood construction, pickups, strings, etc.) and the amplifier (tube, transtube, transister, wattage, settings, etc.)

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I've had the Eric Clapton Crossroads pedal for a while, but never really used it much.  So, I sold it.  I agree with Jay that most of these pedals are hyped up with marketing.  I now have a Digitech GNX3000 that do use it a lot!  This is the best way to go if you don't want to buy individual stomp boxes.  Plus, you can probably edit your own patch to make it sound like Brian May or Jimi Hendrix!

It is important to try them before you buy them.  I had a pedal addiction at one point and bought a tone of designer stompboxes.  Traded them a lot, sold them a lot.  Ruined a good pedalboard a couple of times. 
The boutique brands are NOT worth 3X the money of a factory produced box.  So, listen before you buy.  One of the best octave pedals I owned was an Arion, real cheap. 
The same is true for your gear.  I bought an Ampeg Reverberocket 212 for $275 once.  It was a real sweet and had a great lead channel.  I couldn't believe it.  There are made by St Louis Music (Crate) and was not "in" but it is a great amp.

Bob
Grantville, PA
Trying to get back into the swing of playing more.