Topic: Singing and playing for an audience

Hello,
I'm kinda new to this.  I can play in front of my daughter but when it comes to playing and singing in front of other people i just can't do it.  Reason - I don't like the sound of my voice when I am singing.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Also, is it absolutely necessary for guitar players to memorize all the songs they play.  I have a song book with all the songs I can play but my teacher thinks i should memorize them all.  I don't see the big deal.  I'm just no great on memorizing stuff.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanxs

Re: Singing and playing for an audience

I don't know how to help with playing infront of people because I'm used to it, having acted in various plays infront of reasonably big crowds since I was quite young (even if it was mostly just the local pantomime every year) and a lot of them I had to sing in, but not on my own. Moving on to your second question, I don't think it is really important of you haven't memorised the songs, just so long as you can play them well when you have the songbook infront of you.

-Kerry-

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

Gesader,

I used to be the same, I hated my voice and to some degree I still do.
I dont really know how I got over it, I started singing infront of mates while drunk in my mates bedroom. I must have got a few compliments? I cant remember.
I think i was kind of forced to sing in front of people when I was the bassist for a band and we had a gig but no singer. Since I done a little bit of mumble backing singing I got opted to sing. When the crowd clapped and cheered I think it was then I thought I cant be that bad after all.

It is all about confindence. Get a few drinks in you when you have friends round and get it out. One thing though, belt your voice out. It will not sound too good if you are shy about your voice and people cannot hear you. I have a few mates that would not sing but they have pretty good voices, they just lack the confidence too.

As for playing with a songbook, I do it all the time! even big stars have used books or autocues for their own songs while singing to thousands and they get away with it so why cant we?
I have been told before using a book is cheating or it doesnt sound like you are singing from the heart while having a book in front of you but I disagree.
memorising a song though probably will make you more confident singing it.
Your voice is an instrument and so is a violin. Violinists use sheet music to play, all we are doing is using words to play.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Gesader. I don't like my voice either,have big problems with the micro-phone and am really gun shy about soloing in front of people but I'm getting there with practice.I also don't see any problem using a song book but I would take the time to memorize the songs that mean the most to you.They will come across more powerful and in return give you more confidence for the dreaded solos.Hope that helps smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I don't like my voice either, but I haven't figured out how to sing while using Johnny Cash's voice, so I stick with my own. 

Use the songbook.   Doesn't hurt to work on memorizing a few songs, but there's no reason for you to memorize 100 songs or whatever.  Memorizing a song is good practice, but it isn't the purpose of our playing.  The purpose of our playing and singing is to make music.  You can make music with a songbook in front of you, usually better and with more confidence, so as far as I'm concerned a songbook is fair game.  I use mine all the time, but I don't sing in front of audiences outside of buddies at a campfire.   However, when I've been on stage playing in a Dixieland band, in a stage band, in a playhouse orchestra, and in a praise band (all with bass not with guitar), I had music in front of me.  Sometimes it was just a couple notes on a transition, or sometimes full blown sheet music, but in every instance I had some kind of prompt to buoy my confidence. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wow
thankyou to everyone for your suggestions.  You all just boosted my confidence level up a notch.  I kinda thought I was the only one that didn't like their own voice. 
With the playing and singing, I'm just gonna keep trying.
I'm glad about the song book though.  I'm sure I could memorize a few songs, but certainly not all of them.
Thankyou for all the great advice.
I realize what a great site this is and all the friendly people, but know i think this site is the best.
thankyou again and keep on playing, I know I will
Thanxs

Listen to some of the Greats in music. Johnny Cash did not have a great singing voice, neither did Kris Kristoferson, Janis Joplin, Zurf, Tiny Tim, etc. But they had a decent voice and  could connect with the audience, carry the melody of the song and tell a story. I don't sing and probally never will but thats just me. If you think you have the talent to sing, then go for it.

Nela

I have never taken the time to try to memorize songs, either.  I just have trouble remembering words and chords.  I have all my songs on computer and on a PDA and I also have a notebook of printed songs.  This gets me through just fine.  You will notice, a lot of pianists use sheet music to play, why not us?  It is kind of a pain sometimes when you are out in the backyard and it is windy and you have to have someone hold the music, but hey...who cares.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I started playing the organ when I was 5, when I was about 10, added the violin and a bit of piano.  I always used sheet music.  It's nice to know other people use sheet music too. 
This sure helps me a lot.  I will just keep on using my little guitar song book. 
As for voice, my daughter says I'm not that bad.  Actually she says my music teachers voice is worse, so this should make me feel better.
Thanxs for all the advice.

I play from my song book a lot,  but I do try to memorise as many of my songs as possible.  It's more fun when you can just grab a guitar and start playing.  If you always play from a book you will always need a book to play.

11 (edited by evsynator 2008-07-06 22:06:31)

i could never get over the fact that i was supposed to be " the big entertainer" .... having 2000 songs in my head and you would still get some drunk asking for an obscure song and you cant do it ... ( or remember the words) .... you will never - ever satisfy everybody.... you are better off working out a 1 and a half hour session spread out . and they listen to what you provide . do not do requests. unless its one that you done earlier to repeat it so as to make the night nice for you . thats just me .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Exactly the same for me can play and sing infront of my daughter,complete numpty in front anybody else

i wish i could play like jimi hendrix

Try an open-mic night. I went empty-handed to one, and after I saw there were people worse than me who got up, that was enough for me to try it the following week. I took my music with me because I was afraid of getting lost. I only had to refer to it for the first line of each verse, but it took out a lot of that fear.

One funny thing -- if you're nervous and sweating, and there's a hot light shining on you, that will make you sweat even more which, in turn, will make you even more nervous! So stay out of the friggin' light!

I'm not nuts about my voice. I tend to sound like Neil Young and consequently play and sing mostly his music. However, when I play in front of others, I try not to play him, because I don't want to hear, "that sounds just like Neil." If I play a song of his, I try to pick an obscure one, so no one will know!

I also try to play new songs that I haven't already played 100,000 times on my own. I like to think they sound fresher. Sometimes it sounds better because I have yet to discover the things that trip me up.

Hello everyone,
Well some surprising things have happened over the last couple of days.  I went to my guitar lesson, and my teacher has switched me to a different teacher.  I'm not sure if he got fed up with me and my songbook or me not wanting to sing.  But anyway, my new teacher and I sat down and had a chat first.  I explained the situation to him ( about the songbook and the singing)  and I got a complete different reaction then the first teacher.  He told me not to worry about the singing, as long as I can do it for now in front of someone, it will eventually come.  As for the songbook,  he told me use it.  He uses one too.  My stess level just went down quite a few notches and I am comfortable with him too.  The other teacher just made me nervous. 
  So off I go to practice my guitar, happy and a little less stressed over the situation.
I want to send a HUGE, HUGE  THANKYOU to everyone at Chordie for their support.  This is a great site!!!!!!!!
My sincere thanxs

MAY ALL YOUR WISHES BE RAINBOWS!!!!!!!!!!

Cool.  Happy it worked out for you. 

Don't worry about the teacher switch and don't take it personal.  In all likelihood, it had nothing to do with you.  When you work through an agency like that, there are a lot of scheduling conflicts and issues.  And of course musicians often have two or three different income sources - teaching, gigging, touring, maybe a side job as well, and that causes conflicting priorities and schedules as well. 

Now, if you figure out how to sing well, would you let me in on the secret?  I'm about a twenty year habit away from sounding like Kris Kristoffersen.  Not really baritone, not really tenor, and only closely approximating pitch. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

NELA wrote:

Listen to some of the Greats in music. Johnny Cash did not have a great singing voice, neither did Kris Kristoferson, Janis Joplin, Zurf, Tiny Tim, etc. But they had a decent voice and  could connect with the audience, carry the melody of the song and tell a story. I don't sing and probally never will but thats just me. If you think you have the talent to sing, then go for it.

Nela

I'm with Nela on this...I think the main message here is being able to connect with the audience...None of the artists mentioned are great singers, but all were able to connect and entertain...Having some confidence and being able to interact with people can go a tremendous distance in having fun and entertaining.  I can't sing at all and it's pretty much dangerous for me to try...but I often play guitar and mandolin and have to improvise a lot...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I have been singing since I could talk...and this always helped me feel comfortable. It's some advice from my Dad smile
If you just let it go and not worry about how you sound when you sing...you will sound better:) Pretend you are someone else watching you play and belt out the notes as loud as you can. When I sing it's like sometimes i hear a note that gave me goosebumps (in a good way)....and then realize that it came from MY mouth. Don't think about how you sound while you are singing. Worrying just distracts you from the song...
Also the audience appreciates it more when you let it go and give it your all. It shows a kind of vulnerability that helps you connect with them. Everybody hits a sour note once in a while, brush it off and keep going  smile

18 (edited by Ray Melton 2008-07-13 23:31:53)

Ah yes singing in front of people, it's like public speaking , the average persons worse nightmare. I'm a lecturer so its like being on stage all the time so I only ever got mildly nervous. As for memorising songs , you need to learn them well, but then you just need a prompt, eg first line or even a word from each verse ( and that fits on top of you guitar on a piece of paper !!) all the big guys do it...I play with some really good players and singers and it's good to see them stuff it up as well ocassionally , well good for me anyway.... smile

As His Bobness said in Hard rain, I'll know my song well before I start singing...

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx