1 (edited by KAP54 2008-07-02 22:21:45)

Topic: I gots the bug back

I talked myself into buying an acoustic electric so I can jam with my buds.Problem is its been so long since I've looked at one I don't know what I should get.Somewhere between the range of $5 and $500 would be good but can that be done and get a good quality.Any help appreciated and duly noted smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Re: I gots the bug back

DULY

As for the guitar my advise is always the same. Get to your local stores and try them out to find what suits you as you are the one who will have to play it. There are some very good cheaper guitars around these days so make a day of it and have fun. Don't forget to try them connected to an amp as well as playing unplugged.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks Roger...Duly Noted

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Ovation (my favorite) has very afordable, not to mention, beautiful guitars. that is if your not against round backs.  Check em out they are so worth it!!

So Red Delicious

Folk are probably fed hearing me rave about my Yamaha APX500. Love it.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

Folk are probably fed hearing me rave about my Yamaha APX500. Love it.

Al, Ye make it sound like a motor bike lol

I am not fed up hearing you say it. It only reminds me when I go for another one to look at this model

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Lmao lol

Aye, and I get plenty miles to the gallon on it.

I may just be easily pleased, never having played a "real quality" instrument.

By the way, Ken (sorry for mementarily going off topic), The Alarm are playing 3 nights at King Tuts in November.

cheers Al,

I didnt know this as my informer is at work and I am off on holiday.
I will be looking into this and getting tickets and not eating a massive chinese meal followed by a pint of lager. I will get to watch them this time ,lol

Cheers
Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

alvee33 wrote:

Lmao lol

By the way, Ken (sorry for mementarily going off topic), The Alarm are playing 3 nights at King Tuts in November.

The Alarm? As in '68 guns'???

About A/E, I've been looking at them and thinking in the $500 (American) range as well.  There are some good options.  Alvarez, Ibanez, Yamaha, and a few other makers all have guitars in that range.  Ibanez generally uses Fishman electronics in their A/E instruments, which are great! 

I highly recommend you try out a few instruments and see which you like, which suits your body, your hands, your ear, your playing style, etc.  Also, I've noticed that it makes a difference in the day as far as which I like.  Not that the guitars have changed much day to day, but apparantly my preferences do.  So, if you have the opportunity, you may want to go back and try an instrument a time or two before laying down your cash.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Takamine G series A/E with TK4 pick up. I've been very happy with mine for 2 years now.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

flester wrote:
alvee33 wrote:

Lmao lol

The Alarm? As in '68 guns'???

You betcha! Not the original line-up, but still fantastic.

Stopped into a few stores today to check out some guitars in the $500 range and they all played nice but definitely different.I've got a lot checking to do. LOL. The 3 stores I was in all spoke of Fishman electronics and I heard nothing but praise so that will give me a direction to search.

Thanks Zurf smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Try out a Fender model   GA45sce   they are awesome! You will get a beautiful guitar with your fishman electronics and built-in tuner as well. Just type in the model and read the reviews, they don't lie. I own one and I love that guitar, so do all my friends! cool

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

15 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-07-07 18:30:37)

Hey kap,
  As Roger said, You really need to just play the field and play as many as you can plugged and unplugged. It's all about what suits you and your style of play. Do you mainly fingerpick or strum? What size/profile neck are you most comfortable with? 1 11/16, 1 3/4,... C,D profile...etc Are you looking at Dreads, OM's, GC's...? Have you considered tone woods?  Not trying to get to nosy...lol Just trying to get a better idea of what your looking for in your next addition. I've been fortunate enough to be able to trade fairly extesively with guitars and thus have had the oppurtunity to play a wide variety of them. There are Several great options for you in that price range. I think Zurf mentioned Ibanez... I have an Ibanez Artwood 200ecvv that is excellent and is in your price range. They changed the model # a few years ago but it's still the same guitar. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=512337 The advertised price is a little over your budget but they are actually having a private sale on it for $499. You'd just have to call in and ask for the additional discount. This takamine was very impresive for it's price http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=512207 as was this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=516847  I just noticed that you were in Canada! I HIGHLY recommend you check into Simon & Patricks, Seagulls, Art & Lutherie, Norman, or anything put out by Godin. They're a Canadian company so they should be assesible to you. I currently have 4 of these and they are among my favorites. Highly recommended!! Here's a link to their site http://www.godinguitars.com/ Anouther great value in Canada are Garrison guitars! I have a G20 that has been a real joy! The company was purchased by Gibson several months back. I hear that gibson is not honoring the warrantys from the buy out but The value of the pre-gibson models are rising. So You can buy a posibly new old stock pre-gibson model and the value will likely increase some over time or go with a newer gidson production and have warranty but the value will probably not increase... I'll stop there...lol I tend to ramble on at times smile Best of luck in your search! Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Wow Pix.....Awesome links you've posted.The first real guitar I bought 35 years back was a Norman and I loved it and still wish I had it.I haven't seen any around and I figured they went out of business.Very Cool Indeed Sir. I shall be looking at these links very close. I just did a real quick stop off at godinguitars to check the Normans and was happily surprised that they use Fishman electronics.
Shall keep you posted

Big Thanks from Canada(and I didn't think you were rambling)
KAP54 smile smile smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)