Topic: what size strings does everybody use?

I use ernie ball regulars. 10-46.

yesterday is the past
tomorrow a dream
today you find out
what is best left unseen

Re: what size strings does everybody use?

Martin Marquies light 20/80 bronze. I've tried others and like these the best. I've found the price has gone down a couple bucks since last year which is good.

take care.. Badeye.. cool

one caper after another

D'addario light jazz chrome flatwounds, 11-50.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Currently my guitars are fitted with Rotosound Purples (Medium-Heavy Gauge) strings.

E       A       D        G     B    e
54w    44w   34w    26w   17  13

Once my fingers have gotten used to these I'll probably give the Greys (Heavy Gauge) strings a try. Only going up so far in an attempt to increase the strength of my fingers on bends and to experiment with the tones on different gauges

I've been using 12's--went down to 11's last change for no real good reason.  Think I'll go back to 12's--more volume and I want to say they last longer, but I could be wrong.

6 (edited by Detman101 2009-04-02 15:29:25)

***Ernie Ball - Fat bottom skinny top strings.*** (The Les Paul got sold)

Currently - Ernie Ball Regular Slinky on my Squier '51 Stratotele

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I seem to be in a never ending search for the perfect strings. Just stung up the new CA with a set of Dean Markley Alchemy 12-54's and they sound great! I usually just save the package and write my impressions on the box, but I got an idea from another forum I read to create a spreadsheet to track dates changed, tone impressions, longevity, etc. Seemed like a great idea to me.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I use .09 .11 .16 .24 .32 .42 fender bullets on my  strat and silk n steel on the accustic I like the tone and ease of play some day i will give the elixer strings a shot i have heard a lot about them on chordie mostly pro smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Elixir lights on my Takamine six string cutaway. Martin marquis medium on my Yahama acoustic. I love the Elixirs!!!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

G'day Russell, I just put Elixir strings on my Washburn DSC10E after much procrastination and wow !!! I've never heard that thing sound so nice and I used to change strings regularly but these are tremendous and they feel nice under finger, I dont seem to get sore fingers as much after  along session. Worth a try I reckon even though they are twice the price of the Martins I was using smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

I use .09 .11 .16 .24 .32 .42 fender bullets on my  strat and silk n steel on the accustic I like the tone and ease of play some day i will give the elixer strings a shot i have heard a lot about them on chordie mostly pro smile

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

I use elixir medium gage for my slide playing.  They cost $40 here in Australia but are worth it and last a lot longer than any others I have tried.

12 (edited by Tibernius 2008-07-10 11:59:02)

Currently:

Electric - Ernie Ball Regular Slinky.
Acoustic - Ernie Ball Earthwood Medium-Light.

I tend to try a different gauge of strings on the Electrics each time I change them.

On my Esquire I use D'Addario EXL 110W's (.10-.46, wound G)
On my Coronado I use D'Addario EJ20 (.10-.49, wound G)

might go up to an 11 or 12 on the hollowbody... I find that the bigger the string, the more guts the sound has.

Try Elixer nanoweb Custom Lights on your accoustic.  THey're soft on your fingers, sound sweet and you can move faster because they're slippery.

Bluesguitarist wrote:

On my Esquire I use D'Addario EXL 110W's (.10-.46, wound G)
On my Coronado I use D'Addario EJ20 (.10-.49, wound G)

might go up to an 11 or 12 on the hollowbody... I find that the bigger the string, the more guts the sound has.

I use D'addario as well.  Mostly because thats the only kind I can get from the local music store.  The only other alternative is Wal-mart and quite frankly I don't trust the quality.  If I was desperate for a quick fix that would be a different story.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

On Acoustic I use D'Addario EJ16's which are 12 gauge and on my electrics I use D'Addario EXL120's which are 9 gauge

It's not how well you play... It's how much effort you put into the playing

For acoustic guitars, the lighter the gauge the easier they are to play. Conversely, the heavier the gauge the greater the volume. With that in mind, phosphor bronze strings are expensive but have the brightest sound (I reckon). Elixirs are about twice the price of other strings because they have the nanoweb coating which makes them last longer. It is difficult to tell when strings are worn out because they lose thier tone gradually, but when you put a new set on your guitar it sounds brilliant again. If you are new to guitar I recommend lighter gauge strings because they are easier on your fingers. Experiment with different gauges and material and before long you will probably develop a liking to a certain type.

Western Sydney, NSW, any Drummers or Female Vocalists want a jam, message me please?

Ray Hughes wrote:

For acoustic guitars, the lighter the gauge the easier they are to play. Conversely, the heavier the gauge the greater the volume. With that in mind, phosphor bronze strings are expensive but have the brightest sound (I reckon). Elixirs are about twice the price of other strings because they have the nanoweb coating which makes them last longer. It is difficult to tell when strings are worn out because they lose thier tone gradually, but when you put a new set on your guitar it sounds brilliant again. If you are new to guitar I recommend lighter gauge strings because they are easier on your fingers. Experiment with different gauges and material and before long you will probably develop a liking to a certain type.

When I bought steel strings for the first time, I bought a packet of Daddario Medium phophor bronze at about $18 dollars.   When my teacher  gave me the lesson in guitar string changing, he recommended the lights for the reasons you just mentioned.  The mediums were harder on the fingers, but, were greater in volume (loudness) with the brighter sound.  Which is not something I need for casual personal playing.  But, I will change my strings more often and on a routine basis.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

.11's for me. Fender super bullets (stainless) on Fender scale (25.5") with single coils and DR pure nickle on Gibson scale (24.75") with humbuckers.

20 (edited by WeCaVa 2008-11-24 01:20:16)

On my Seagull 25th Anniversary (Solid Spruce & Mahogany) acoustic:

D'Addario EJ16 Lights
0.12-0.53