Topic: how to progress

Ive been playing now for about a year seariusly (Ive always been playing since like 5 years ago but I just got really into it a year ago) and Im "Pretty" good I can play songs like hand of blood (prob the hardest one I know) but I cant seem to progress very good. I play every day this is my routine... 15 min scales then how ever long I feel like playing songs. but I dont feel myself getting better so plz help thanks

Re: how to progress

Hi deaken316
I caught a post a while back(I can't remember who posted it) but the advise was to tape yourself and then replay the tape and compare yourself one year later.You will be amazed at how you have progressed.It seems slow going but time passes quickly.Be patient and don't be hard on yourself.
Hope that helps   smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

if you want to progress you have to step outside of what you normally play or listen to, my personal advice is to start learning some beatles songs, i'm talking like anything from rubber soul through let it be. every time you learn one of those songs you'll learn another chord and another chord change, it's all good stuff, also i'd start looking at some jazz, that's where the real meat is if you want to become a quality player, if you listen to a jazz guy play rock it's like a walk in the park for them, but if you ask a rock guy to play jazz his head will explode, shows you something right there.

Recently I bought a looping pedal and really started making some progress...I can lay down a quick track of some sort...loop it back and play along with it...then keep adding and looping...   It's fun to lay out a chord progression, loop it and then work with various lead patterns, bass runs, alternate chords, etc.  I've found that now when I play with others I have much more to work with and offer...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

thewalrus18 wrote:

if you want to progress you have to step outside of what you normally play or listen to, my personal advice is to start learning some beatles songs, i'm talking like anything from rubber soul through let it be. every time you learn one of those songs you'll learn another chord and another chord change, it's all good stuff, also i'd start looking at some jazz, that's where the real meat is if you want to become a quality player, if you listen to a jazz guy play rock it's like a walk in the park for them, but if you ask a rock guy to play jazz his head will explode, shows you something right there.

sweet thanks I like jazz and my dad is a HUGE beatles fan like he has every single record the EVER put out o_O lol

My advice would be to stop learning other people's songs, and learn about your instrument instead.  Start writing your own songs.  That will force you to think differently about the instruments.  What chord do I start on?  How do I construct an interesting melody?  Where do I go from here?  That will challenge you to get outside your head, and learn to play the guitar, rather than play songs.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]